2023 Golf season decisions - irons

dees06

Team Undecided
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok guys and gals. Need some input before I start spending 💰 this year. Looking to upgrade my iron game which has been on the inconsistent side of late. Currently playing Maltby KE4 max with Rapid Taper 95s shafts. I do like them but I don't think I'm in the right flex or weight anymore. So I have a couple options I'm considering. FYI - I'm only looking to cover roughly 30 degrees to 46-48 (so these days that's 7-G) or 5 irons.

1) reshaft the KE4 with an R flex shaft, something like the Rapport CB or Recoil 75-80 range. 75g shafts have worked well for me in the past. $300

2) reshaft a set of Srixon i701 I have that are in like new condition. One of my all time favorite irons but currently have S300s and are out of my current swing speed range and comfort level. Thinking about the Recoil Dart or Recoil 80 since these are taper tip irons. $300

3) take up PXG on the reasonably great deal on a set of 0211 at $100/stick with a shaft I have used and I know works for me (Recoil). $600 or less.

4) travel a good bit and get fit for all new irons. Likely $1000+

So to budget, $300 is no prob for me, $600 is still ok but obviously double. $1000+ just ain't in the cards ATM with tax season upon us. I can get "shaft fit" which would add $150 to the other options, but that's still doable if a stretch. I also need to look at the big stick this year so the rest of my disposable golf budget is allocated for that. Fitting is always the best answer (so #4), but when your only option is to travel a couple hundred miles and drop a couple hundred bucks, the calculus gets messy. Add in I'm a solid bogey golfer who has minimal practice time and the benefit ratio is lower. Not to mention it would eliminate the driver from consideration.

Currently, the favored option is 2. The caveat is that while I can do my own club work, I don't have a lot of free time. Took me 6-8 months to find the time to build my current set and my setup isn't exactly "professional". I'm trying to devote less time to DIY projects that aren't house related these days. So that puts option 3 as the most rational when I balance that all out.

All this rambling is just an attempt to get an idea of what you regular insanely obsessive golf nuts would do here were you in my also obsessive golf nut position. So weigh in if you like. Give me as many purchase thoughts in my head as swing thoughts. That should make it better right. That's golfing logic as I understand it 😂.

#2.. if you love the irons and know what shafts you would do well with sounds like win win

Sell off the others to offset cost if needed too.. even the s300 shafts should get what, 100 back or so

Would you consider the new RT85 R+ as an option for #1 or #2?
Yes, but they don't come in taper tip, so I'd either have to bore out the irons or modify the shafts. Nothing that is impossible, but don't know that I trust my skills to do either.

I reshafted a set of T100s with Rapid Tapers. You can sand down the tips without too much trouble. You could pick up last year’s RT 75 or 85 for $20 a shaft and have someone do the work into the Srixons.

I did it myself by hand and it took a little time but I can’t see how it would have possibly weakened the shaft given how little material was removed.

Sounds like you don't want to sell your Srixon's because you love them, but you could get the most money from those if you are open to it and reshaft your KE4 MAX's. Would going to a demo and using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer be effective? I vote #1 or #2 regardless but neither are as fun as getting new heads :p

Yes, but they don't come in taper tip, so I'd either have to bore out the irons or modify the shafts. Nothing that is impossible, but don't know that I trust my skills to do either.
I've sanded down to fit a taper tip no problem, I use a belt sander, fine belt and have the head with me so I can get to a fit and then stop. Also can show you where it's needing a little more take down as well when it doesn't bottom out.

Ok, so made a decision. I'm going with #2. Ordered a set of Recoil 760 SC and some nice BBF ferrules. Will arrange grips shortly as well as sort the wedge situation. I have a few Maltby milled wedge heads already so I'll grab a few more. Thinking 50-54-60 since the PW is a 46. Need to investigate wedge shafts. Currently playing RT Spin wedge so I may just stick with them.

You say $600? There is a random set of Z585 U85 combo set for that price on Budget golf. Maybe the THP discount code would work since they are a couple years older?

#2.. if you love the irons and know what shafts you would do well with sounds like win win

Sell off the others to offset cost if needed too.. even the s300 shafts should get what, 100 back or so
This ^^^^

Takomo 101 irons

I think option 2 sounds very feasible as inexpensive and I’d take a look at throwing some Darts in them in your flex/weight. You could also test a variety of graphite shafts at a golf SS to see what flex just outright is best using one head.

Since you have held onto the irons you must have some deep reason for holding on to them. They must be played, so the time is now. If you build them, they will perform!

Since you have held onto the irons you must have some deep reason for holding on to them. They must be played, so the time is now. If you build them, they will perform!

The i701 was my first "real" set of irons I bought when I upgraded from the cheap Wilson starter set. I hit them great and enjoyed them until I moved on to the Maxfli Rev B (which is my favorite iron ever). I will hunt down a set of those one day. Anyway, the Srixons are just great clubs. Looking at all the new offerings, I don't see anything that tickles my fancy at the prices. And these are easy to hit, forgiving pocket cavity, and Endo forged iirc. Just as soft as any Mizuno I've ever hit, good looks, and already in my garage! Worth a go. If it doesn't turn out the way I want, I'm only out $200-250 and back in the market. Worst case they go on display or in the closet.

So minor update, I have the heads pulled and prepped. Shafts should be here in the next few days.

Oh, and I ordered a set of Maltby Max Milled wedges in 50 & 60. I already have several in 54 and a PM grind 56 for the SW. Should fill out the set nicely. Maybe a new in plastic ST-X 220 off eBay for under $200 and a matching hybrid for $125. Whole new bag for the year roughly $600.

Oh, and I ordered a set of Maltby Max Milled wedges in 50 & 60. I already have several in 54 and a PM grind 56 for the SW. Should fill out the set nicely. Maybe a new in plastic ST-X 220 off eBay for under $200 and a matching hybrid for $125. Whole new bag for the year roughly $600.

The new Maltby TS3 are REALLLLLYYYYY NIICE. @Popeye says so........ Hate to be the one to tempt you. 😈
tS3 review.JPG

The new Maltby TS3 are REALLLLLYYYYY NIICE. @Popeye says so........ Hate to be the one to tempt you. 😈
View attachment 9157564

I am very interested in the TS3 and have been anxiously awaiting them to drop. I will end up with a set before long, but I've just got to give these Srixons a go for a short while at least. I do really like the KE4 Max I have and will surely reshaft those at some point too. Nice to have so many great options for a reasonable amount of money.

I am very interested in the TS3 and have been anxiously awaiting them to drop. I will end up with a set before long, but I've just got to give these Srixons a go for a short while at least. I do really like the KE4 Max I have and will surely reshaft those at some point too. Nice to have so many great options for a reasonable amount of money.
I'm in a dilemma, I want a new set of TS3. I was considering the KE4 max just before the TS3 dropped. My Sim2 irons have about 70-80 rounds on them. I'm hitting them really nice right now. Don't know if I can justify getting new irons right now. LOL. I could give my son my Sim2's tho. :unsure:
The new Kirklands are tempting also. 🤦‍♂️

Since fitting for new irons is not in the cards I say go #2. Unless you can get fitted and offset that by selling things.

Just learned that the new pro at my home course is offering fittings. Not sure on the details because I've not seen a fitting cart and they carry no clubs, but I'm going to ask next time I see him. Could be something of an alternative. At least if I can nail down shaft profile and ensure I'm in the right lie angle it will give me info going forward.

So I put the Srixons into play today. Couple of thoughts.

Pros:
These feel as good as I remember.
The Recoil shafts were a good call. Very smooth.
Despite my rudimentary club builder skills, these are pretty spot on where I wanted them.
BB&F ferrules are gorgeous.

Cons:
These lofts just aren't for me. Great when I was 30, not so much now. Losing too much distance.

They'll stay in the bag for now. Want to get a few more rounds in before I make a decision on them. Conditions weren't great today. Sunny but in the 40's and I was fairly sauced, so I will try again in a day or 2 to get a better feel for them.

Back