I’ve carried only a 4W for the last 15 years and always had room for 1 more club in the bag.

There’s been a few times I wish I had just a few more yards with that club (and today’s clubs may just provide that), but never felt I needed to go 3W/5W. In fact, I just can’t convince myself that a 5W offers me a whole lot in general.

So what have you THP, do you go the traditional 3W/5W or go 4W? What do you carry and why?
For any realistic answer, I think you need to test head to head with a modern "5W" or "4W" against your 15+ year old V steel. Or a Taylormnade HL "3W" at 17 degrees. Not to mention adjustability options. I'm playing a 17.5 Ping 5W opened top 16.5. 16 is as low as I'd go with my swingspeed off the deck.

I skip the 3w and bag a 5w and a 7w. (actually 7w is being replaced by a driving iron I'm testing out)

I have found the in the fairway my 3w swing was not consistent enough and I would always default to my 5w. And off the tee if my driver swing was off that day, I would go to my 5 iron.

I realized very soon that without that 3w option to pull, I was actually scoring better. Not TRYING to go for the green in 2 on a par 5, saved me many many many penalty shots. If driver is off then all my woods are off so a iron will get me in a fairway not under a tree or having to punch out wasting a swing. I found iron-iron-wedge-tap in, is better than 3w-punchout-long iron-bunker shot-2 putt.

Back