50+ Fitness & Nutrition

A couple of years ago I lost 40 lbs going to weight watchers with my wife. We did not like the meeting so we stopped going. The point system they use works but we gave up on it. I gained 20 lbs back so now I am starting over again. I wanted to go to a gym and hit the elliptical but due to COVID, that's not going to happen.
Guess I need to stop eating so much. :unsure:

BMI is a joke. The Dr constantly tells me I’m obese. I say, have you looked at me? Bone density, water weight, it’s all a factor. For the record I’m more on the thin side so I lost respect for that entire system.
I have the same issue with BMI, I'm obese. I'm 6ft with a 44inch chest and big quads. My doctor would not authorize a body composition screening and wouldn't remove obese from my physical record. Pissed me off. I did have a composition screening 7 or 8 years ago and my body fat was under 10%. I haven't changed much since then and will continue to disregard BMI.

I started intermittent fasting a couple of years ago and coupled with my exercise routine it has kept me at my good weight without having to think about what I eat or count calories. I do strength training a few days a week and my wife and I will walk 5 miles 3-4 days a week. I also walk about 70% of my 100ish rounds of golf each summer. Now that the cold weather is coming I’ll be getting back on our Peleton bike 4+ days each week. I wish I could keep up the Peleton year round as it definitely gets my cardio in better shape but I only seem to have the drive to do it during the cold months.

I have this thing for cherry pie ... lol.

Being 65 and working full-time from home, I should workout more consistently but I tend to binge. Workout one week, skip the next, then find weeks of consistency. I row (Concept Rower), Indoor bike using legs/arms and kettle bells. But nothing beats walk/jog for 4 miles a couple of days a week. It would help consistency if I had a partner ...

Food - steel oats/yogurt with berries, an occasional egg taco with chorizo and pico de gallo, coffee. Lunch is chicken/salad. Dinner may be salad, sushi for salmon, hummus with pita, small portion of pasta, and desert would be fruit (most of the time) and a glass of wine. Nothing too exciting. The occasional once per month pizza with light cheese/veggie, or once a month steak nachos with guacamole - gotta' live. Throw in some dried cranberries, walnuts and almonds for small snacks.

Back