9-Wood Yes or No?

Golfers Anonymous

Just Decent
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Minds wandering in this miserable cold and started thinking about putting a 9 wood in the bag. Have you played one before, and which club did it replace?

I have not played one, but I would. I love clubs with loft and pop. They are the easiest to hit for me.

I’ve considered it and it would replace an Apex DCB 5i. I could use it in more places to get myself out of trouble.

I have the TSR1 23* 9 wood in the bag currently. If I played a conventional set up, it would replace a modern GI 5 iron.

It’s been a blast on the SIM this winter. Yesterday, I stepped on a few to get close to the green from 180ish, and also feathered a few on 125-135 par 3’s with success. Really fun club.

Haven’t, but would that be close in utility to a 5H? I’d think it’s one of those places where if you’re FW over Hybrids type it might be perfect

I couldn't do it. I have a hard time looking down at that much loft on a fairway wood or hybrid.

That said I would LOVE to swing the one you get a few times to find out how it goes.

I have not played one but am certainly not opposed to it.

I would normally look toward a hybrid for that spot in the bag, but with the growing popularity I would be doing myself a disservice if I didn't at least demo one, right?

For those who find hybrids “hooky” I think they would be pleasantly surprised with the high loft woods.
I'm open to trying it, but past history for me saw the ability to hit a 3 wood no problem, but I could never hit a 5 wood straight to save my life. I'm sure it wasn't the club, but I could never figure it out

I've always liked hybrids more than woods for those kinds of lofts, so i've never really considered

Never have hit a 9 wood. Would be curious on how it went.

Not a yes or no in my book but what course is being played as a good 9 wood never met a tree it couldn't climb over as a short cut home.

I’d give it a try, I love my 7W as it’s like a safety net club.

Not yet for me. 24 degree 5 hybrid is a go to club in my bag as a 4 iron replacement.

My 7 wood launches and flies too high to use as a rescue club when needing to hit something low.

I fear the 9 wood would be similar. Tried a 6 hybrid for awhile and it also flew too high for me. Very susceptible to ballooning in the wind.

The 9 wood would be a good choice for golfers needing some help getting the ball in the air and maybe adding a little distance because of its longer shaft.

no, i have never hit a wood higher than 5 wood loft. All the loft in a wood just has never fit my eye, but i still hit irons well. I have however hot hybrids in the past up to 23degrees, not currently in the bag. Current setup is 4-pw

I have played one before and really enjoyed it. That is my 5h position right now… and I can keep the ball lower (if needed) with it.

I've gamed one for a few years now. It all started when my wife got fitted for clubs a few years back, she couldnt hit a 5 iron so the fitter recommended her getting a 9w. I hit hers a few times for fun and then ordered my own. Its a great little club for 160-170 fairway shots or Par 3 off the tee shots in that range. I carry a 5i but with little success, I use it mostly to punch out.

For those who find hybrids “hooky” I think they would be pleasantly surprised with the high loft woods.

This is why I don’t play hybrids! I could the Apex UW, but it only goes to 21*

I have a Ping with the loft adjusted to 22.5* and it replaces my 4i or 4h. I love it. It is an excellent very versatile club for me.

I have one, change it for a 6hybrid occasionally. It's my 150 club, and great getting on the green.

Back