Active hands - Padraig Harrington

I like it. That's one of things I do when my iron play starts to get weird. By weird I mean every now and then I find this perfect path and am just completely dialed right, and it inevitably devolves into a couple bad habits with my left wrist and right hand and I get blocky, and then I try to correct it and start falling apart quickly in a terrifying way, frankly. My face control has basically gone to hell trying to maintain what I felt was great swing positions. I go the range and tell myself to just keep my lower half calm, stay upright, and fire through the ball. Eventually I start turning them over something fierce because of hand dominance, but I've reminded my body that the things holding the club need to do a good portion of the work, and that I can hit them all day 85% as good as normal with just the base of my left hand and right forefinger doing the work.

It's something I mentioned to the guy who cut his left palm by his thumb. Seemed like a perfect opportunity to focus on that opposing-hands whippy-wrists swing and work on face control.

There's an older golfer who is on a YouTube channel (GolfMates) named Pat (79 years old) who's swing is almost all wrist swing. Carries an 11 HC. His swing looks like he's barely trying to hit the ball.

All of the tips Padraig has been given have been really good - he's a good follow on Twitter or IG.

I like it! I was just swinging a little bit in the office and it feels easy to control the spin with the hands. Plus it seems like it would require a lot less timing and sequencing - gonna try it out this weekend!

I have really enjoyed following Padraig. He is one of the most likable guys in golf.

All of the tips Padraig has been given have been really good - he's a good follow on Twitter or IG.
Yes, I've been following him on IG. Everything he says has been solid advice.

Definitely something I need to work on. I have been so focused on not flipping at the ball that now I end up blocking it to the right quite a bit because I don't release my hands.

Definitely something I need to work on. I have been so focused on not flipping at the ball that now I end up blocking it to the right quite a bit because I don't release my hands.

Blocking doesn't have anything to do with your hands though. That comes from being under plane and driving that lead shoulder up. Flipping was your body's way of trying to square the head, because you were dead in the water if you didn't.

Heck yes. I’ve been really loving watching his tips.

Blocking doesn't have anything to do with your hands though. That comes from being under plane and driving that lead shoulder up. Flipping was your body's way of trying to square the head, because you were dead in the water if you didn't.

Ahh thanks, that is good to know and makes sense.

Back