Adjustable club shafts?

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody ever heard of adjustable shafts? I'm just thinking that pretty soon that will have to be the next step in adjustability. Imagine a grip section that comes off with a small screw or something, and allows you to put in a very tight fitting insert down the shaft. Instead of having all the different shafts, you'd only have to sell Regular and Senior likely. If it came with 2 inserts that could get your R up to an X, and the S up to an R, I think that would be brilliant. You could even design a slight groove on them so that you can only put them in 1 way. The engineering would be a B#%&*, but I think it could be a great selling point for off-the-shelf drivers/woods if they could do it. People usually play too little loft, and too stiff a shaft; new adjustable loft drivers can cure the former (I've gone from 9.5 to 11.5 in my Covert atm), and adjustable stiffness shaft could cure the latter. And I know, people should just go get fit. But how many outside THP actually do? You could probably engineer it to change lengths at the same time. Would add some price to a driver, but if well engineered not that much. Would likely have to have a hard cover to put unused inserts in.

So am I tilting at windmills in my thoughts, do they already exist somewhere, or is it inevitable?

Not sure it would make sense with all the different flex patterns and codes.

Well, it sort of exists in a way already with the Shotmaker thing. It was an expensive little bottle of snake oil though.

Well, it sort of exists in a way already with the Shotmaker thing. It was an expensive little bottle of snake oil though.

I guess that would sort of be a similar idea. I would guess their product mainly just stiffens the tip? I would think it wouldn't be good on trajectory though. If the full length inserts fit snugly they could be engineered to predictably affect the flex, and could be, if necessary, be coupled with a head weight to not affect swing weight.

Anybody ever heard of adjustable shafts? I'm just thinking that pretty soon that will have to be the next step in adjustability. Imagine a grip section that comes off with a small screw or something, and allows you to put in a very tight fitting insert down the shaft. Instead of having all the different shafts, you'd only have to sell Regular and Senior likely. If it came with 2 inserts that could get your R up to an X, and the S up to an R, I think that would be brilliant. You could even design a slight groove on them so that you can only put them in 1 way. The engineering would be a B#%&*, but I think it could be a great selling point for off-the-shelf drivers/woods if they could do it. People usually play too little loft, and too stiff a shaft; new adjustable loft drivers can cure the former (I've gone from 9.5 to 11.5 in my Covert atm), and adjustable stiffness shaft could cure the latter. And I know, people should just go get fit. But how many outside THP actually do? You could probably engineer it to change lengths at the same time. Would add some price to a driver, but if well engineered not that much. Would likely have to have a hard cover to put unused inserts in.

So am I tilting at windmills in my thoughts, do they already exist somewhere, or is it inevitable?

:ping: is doing this with some of the newer Scottsdale TR putters. I actually think it makes sense for a putter but I'm sure I'd be unable trust it for a full swing...

:ping: is doing this with some of the newer Scottsdale TR putters. I actually think it makes sense for a putter but I'm sure I'd be unable trust it for a full swing...

The putter shaft is just for length if I remember correctly (first came out last year with the Nome I believe). I bet when the first screw on adjustable drivers were coming out people didn't trust them until they tried them.

They do it with putters, it works brilliantly there because shaft flex is not important for the 99.9% or more of golfers because they simply use the stock steel shaft that Clem's with it and that is plenty stiff.

I don't see it working too well for a driver. You'd need to make the extension out of something very light like aluminum. You'd need to add something to the shaft itself as well to accept the insert. It would add a lot of weight. And unless you're using PURE grips, you gotta completely redo the grip every time you change the length.

Besides, a good chunk of those who care about fitting don't use the stock shaft and will use one they are fitted for, including length.

THPing on Tapatalk

They do it with putters, it works brilliantly there because shaft flex is not important for the 99.9% or more of golfers because they simply use the stock steel shaft that Clem's with it and that is plenty stiff.
I don't see it working too well for a driver. You'd need to make the extension out of something very light like aluminum. You'd need to add something to the shaft itself as well to accept the insert. It would add a lot of weight. And unless you're using PURE grips, you gotta completely redo the grip every time you change the length.
Besides, a good chunk of those who care about fitting don't use the stock shaft and will use one they are fitted for, including length.
THPing on Tapatalk

I'm really more interested in the idea of changing flex than distance. But I do think they could easily make it so the butt end just slid into the shaft so you didn't have to change grips or add/subtract anything.

For the bold statement, while I agree those who really can afford to and care enough do do this, I think shaft is just as important as the head many times and the companies will easily be able to sell to the public how important the proper shaft flex is, just like they have for loft and face angle. If they couldn't sell things to people who didn't truly need it, you wouldn't see nearly every driver sold now being adjustable. I agree people should be fit, but what percentage are actually properly fit into what they buy? 10% I'd guess would be a high estimate. I think if they could engineer an adjustable shaft that wasn't cost prohibitive it would be a massive selling point. No more macho guys hitting stiff, they could just buy a stock shaft and play with the number of inserts required. Much more enjoyable for all, and better for the game if people are having fun.

what will be real crazy is when they make a golf ball that goes straight. but you lose 110 yards. Or...a wedge that is shank proof...WHAT?? Or..a hat with a magnet in it for your ball marker...oh stop. or..I kid.
I agree with the OP in a small way. every aspect of the game will be tested.

I'm really more interested in the idea of changing flex than distance. But I do think they could easily make it so the butt end just slid into the shaft so you didn't have to change grips or add/subtract anything.

For the bold statement, while I agree those who really can afford to and care enough do do this, I think shaft is just as important as the head many times and the companies will easily be able to sell to the public how important the proper shaft flex is, just like they have for loft and face angle. If they couldn't sell things to people who didn't truly need it, you wouldn't see nearly every driver sold now being adjustable. I agree people should be fit, but what percentage are actually properly fit into what they buy? 10% I'd guess would be a high estimate. I think if they could engineer an adjustable shaft that wasn't cost prohibitive it would be a massive selling point. No more macho guys hitting stiff, they could just buy a stock shaft and play with the number of inserts required. Much more enjoyable for all, and better for the game if people are having fun.

Then the guys with egos bigger than the Empire State Building can play their X shafts (labeled that way) and have them really be regular or stiff. That would sell.

Then the guys with egos bigger than the Empire State Building can play their X shafts (labeled that way) and have them really be regular or stiff. That would sell.

This is what got me thinking about this. I was wondering what the next big deal could be that would make people buy new stuff. Adjustable flex is the only thing I could think of that isn't done at all right now.

You need to forget that thing exists buddy. :p

You need to forget that thing exists buddy. :p

I'm guessing I should search for a Shotmaker thread and look for a story there?

Dont the fitting setups do a similar thing as this. I know in the fitting bags there are lots of club heads and shafts that hook together.

Dont the fitting setups do a similar thing as this. I know in the fitting bags there are lots of club heads and shafts that hook together.

I'm not talking about people getting fit, this would be for the majority of people who don't. It would be 1 shaft that comes apart into the main outer shaft and 2 inserts. With only the outer shaft it would be, let's say, R. With one insert it would be S, and with both it would be X. Something along those lines anyway.

I'm guessing I should search for a Shotmaker thread and look for a story there?

Hawk reviewed it a while back. It didn't go well.

I'm not talking about people getting fit, this would be for the majority of people who don't. It would be 1 shaft that comes apart into the main outer shaft and 2 inserts. With only the outer shaft it would be, let's say, R. With one insert it would be S, and with both it would be X. Something along those lines anyway.

If this were possible to do the technology and engineering that would be involved with making this a reality would drive the price up so high that you would be able to buy 10 high end shafts for the price of 1 "adjustable" shaft. I just can't see it working for the masses or even working at all.

IMO too much tech goes into making a shaft profile. You can't just put something inside of it and change the flex without messing just about everything about the shaft up. I am probably way wrong though

I agree it would be an engineering challenge, but those are pretty much the only thing our society is good at. The same 'it'll be way too expensive or won't work right' can be said of for pretty much every technology ever made.

Back