Advice regarding shafts/flex

Yantropov

Reaction score
Handicap
I would like to have my fellow THP'ers advice regarding shafts as I am lacking knowledge in this area.

I have been keeping track of my clubhead speeds in attempt to get my avg speeds. I am currently using regular flex for all my clubs. I understand that the clubhead speed is not the only factor, here are my main clubs avg:

Driver; 110mph
3w; 104mph
4i; 95mph
6i; 92mph
7i; 90mph
Pw; 82mph

I know that I will eventually need to change my shafts flex for my irons, driver and woods. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to what brand/flex I should look into...?

Thanks in advance!

110mph is pretty fast dude, nice work! :D

You are almost definitely going to want to step up to at least a stiff flex, and possibly an X, depending on the brand and depending on the other characteristics of your swing. However, I would STRONGLY advise you to get at least a basic fitting somewhere with a decent launch monitor. There are a lot of factors that go into determining shaft characteristics, and it will be difficult to recommend anything without some of that information. Being in Vancouver, you should have access to a number of really excellent fitting studios (Northview and Modern Golf are two I know off the top of my head) so shouldn't be too difficult to get a decent fitting.

Hope that helps man!

Thanks alot! My driver is anywhere between 108-113 mph... I still need to work on my "lag" but considering that I was at 98mph avg in April, I am very happy. I appreciate the help and understands that it is really hard for you guys to give me advice without knowing all the factors of swing. We should get together for a round if not this fall, next year!

Thanks alot! My driver is anywhere between 108-113 mph... I still need to work on my "lag" but considering that I was at 98mph avg in April, I am very happy. I appreciate the help and understands that it is really hard for you guys to give me advice without knowing all the factors of swing. We should get together for a round if not this fall, next year!

Really good speed dude, seriously. If I top 100mph, I'm doing really well!

Definitely down for a round this fall or winter man. ArmyGolf and I play all the time on both sides of the border, with other area THPers joining us sometimes as well - you should definitely join us sometime!

Really good speed dude, seriously. If I top 100mph, I'm doing really well!

Definitely down for a round this fall or winter man. ArmyGolf and I play all the time on both sides of the border, with other area THPers joining us sometimes as well - you should definitely join us sometime!

We will for sure. I live 10 minutes away from Blaine

110 mph is close to the PGA Tour average of 113 mph. Most OEM shafts are not geared towards your club head speed. I'm at about 108 mph and almost always prefer an x flex for my woods and hybrids, no matter the brand. Certainly there are other factors to consider other than club head speed but most likely you are going to want to at least demo some tip stiff x flex shafts.

Swing speed is just a starting point. I can play A flex all the way to XX flex. I chose shaft by how it feels, dispersion, weight, and ball flight.

I tend to play lighter flex in scoring irons and go stiffer in the woods to reduce spin. There are so many variables so the only way to know is to play them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X flex for sure...Try Fujikura Speeder X flex shafts for woods / DGX100 irons or Nippon Super Peening Blue X, Nippon Modus 3 120x, KBS C-Taper S+, approx 6.5-6.8 fcm

I have the same swing speed and I play stiff shafts. I doubt you'll see much performance difference between stiff and x so ultimately it will come down to feel. I prefer the feel of stiff shafts much more than extra stiff

Advice regarding shafts/flex

I have a similar swing speed and go with X flex. Stiff shafts
tend to balloon on me. But I was told the swing speed is only part of the equation. Transition and tempo have to be a factor. My Swing is relatively smooth. But my transition is a little quick. I'd recommend getting a fitting done. And see what's what.

Stiff tipped 1/2"...lol. similar here and usually gravitate towards X due to spin/flight and dispersion but actually prefer the feel of a strong stiff. #internetdowngrade

I have similar numbers,play a stiff I feel it gives me a cushion a bit more when my games a bit off .

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Most are going to say X or S for your SS. I might suggest asking a preliminary question - is there some performance problem you are seeing with the current shaft flex?

I'm just going to echo others and say get fit if possible. And just curious, but what are you using to measure your swing speed? Just keep in mind that if it's not Trackman or Flightscope there can be some discrepancy in swing speed numbers (not that they ultimately matter). My numbers are similar to what you posted and I feel like I'm between stiff and x so it depends on the shaft. I've been fit for KBS Tour X shafts in the past and had better misses when I played them than I do now playing lighter stiff flex shafts. If you can get demo clubs of different make/models/shafts to play on course I would go that route as well.

I'm in the 105 mph range and have shafts in both X and S. I don't find a noticeable difference in performance between either, mainly feel. Play what feels best weather its r,s or x.

I'm at 115 for the driver and have no problems with getting the ball in the air. I just purchased a G30 LST with the Tour 65X and it has a much better feel, dispersion, and ball flight than the my previous driver w/ stiff shaft.

I know that I will eventually need to change my shafts flex for my irons, driver and woods. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to what brand/flex I should look into...?
is there some performance problem you are seeing with the current shaft flex?
While your SS would normally indicate something more stout than regular you don't necessarily need to change shafts. Remember, there are no industry standards for flexes. Base it on what the ball is doing. If dispersion, ball flight and distance are good, why change?

While your SS would normally indicate something more stout than regular you don't necessarily need to change shafts. Remember, there are no industry standards for flexes. Base it on what the ball is doing. If dispersion, ball flight and distance are good, why change?

I totally agree. I went to golftown today and tried the M1 with stiff a X stiff shaft. Didn't really like the X shaft, it felt like I was swinging a 2x4...

Today my swing speed was in the 106-109mph range. I was getting more distance and less spin with my current shaft (Kuro Kage 60g R-flex). However, I really liked the consistency that the stiff shaft (I believe it was also a Kuro Kage) gave me. My best carry distance on the simulator was 291yds (1500rpm) with the r-flex and 275yds (Avg 3500+rpm) with the stiff

When the time to buy a new driver comes, I will definitely look into a stiff shaft but for now, I'll stick with my r-flex shaft!

Last edited:
I tried X-stiff shaft on Cobra's Fly Z pro irons... Loved it! Very consistent with distance and accuracy.

Back