Age of taking the game more serious

I was five or six years old, dad got me lessons and I probably took it seriously up until ten or eleven. After that I played off and on but pretty much gave it up at fifteen and finally got serious four years ago. I honestly think every year is more serious than the last though lol.

At age 43, After 30 years of very occasional playing, I got serious last year when I finally signed up for lessons. I ended up playing about 30 rounds, which is probably more golf than I had played in the previous 20 years combined. I don't think I improved all that much, but I'm hopeful that I can turn the corner and break 100 this year!

My dad taught me the game when I was 13 in 96'. I didn't take it seriously at all. I was the typical teenage boy and I had other sports I regarded way more highly than golf. It was just something to do with my dad. I completely stopped playing at 16 and didn't start again until I was 24 when my dad found my old clubs and asked me if I would play an afternoon round with him. Something clicked then and I've been hooked since. My dad and I have played together nearly every Monday for the last six years. I'll be 30 this month and I play twice a week and usually hit the practice greens on a daily basis.

I started taking the game
Seriously at 21

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I started to take it seriously in 2009 when I was 21.

I started getting playing after college baseball. I think i was 22. After playing a bit and doing the softball thing I started taking it serious at about 25. I coldn't play football my senior year of high school. That would've been the only time i could've played earlier. Golf was so foreign to me at that age i never even thought about it.

I had a lot of lessons as a kid. My mom was one of those firm believers in keeping me insanely busy during vacations with lessons, tennis tourneys, classes, etc. I only casually played as a way to spend time with my dad. I really only started taking it seriously during my first job out of college. I started playing with colleagues and clients and all that so I needed to be a little better than a duffer. Same thing in grad school. Lots of smoozing to do on the course so I've worked on my game since. I do actually enjoy putting in the work on my game so it works out.

I took an elective golf class in high school in 1993, but the instructor was an old pot head who gave us very little instruction. As a natural lefty who eventually went to college on a baseball scholarship, it probably worked out for the best that he didn't have any left handed clubs so I had to learn right-handed. It was awful in the beginning, but I eventually got to where it felt "natural". I couldn't imagine trying to hit a golf ball left handed. I played a little here and there and I enjoyed it, but never really thought about my swing or getting better or anything like that.

I don't know what triggered it, but within the last couple of years I've gotten hooked. A group of us actually all started playing just about every weekend, even went on a golfcation where we played 5 rounds in 3 days last Memorial Day. For the other guys, that seemed to be a little much and I think it kicked them of the habit, so to speak. Not me though. I kept playing, and I don't think a weekend has gone by that I haven't played other than maybe while out of town up north. Even then I tried to find an open course, but a recent snow storm wrecked my plans. I did spend an afternoon checking out the local clubs though, even though there was a foot of snow on the ground.

The public courses in town are horrible, so I was stuck either driving to this small town club 20 miles away, or even further to play something truly decent. I finally broke down a month ago and became a member at the private club just a few miles up the road. In about a month's time, I've probably played 12 rounds and hit 20 bags on the range. Still never had a lesson, not sure at this age if it would do much since I'm kind of frugal and wouldn't invest in it long term. I'm not trying to be scratch or anything, although single digits would be nice.

Back