Aggressive or Conservative - Your Style of Play

I’m very conservative. The only time I get remotely aggressive is sometimes when I’m in the trees. I’ve managed to screw up the “safe way out” enough times that sometimes I just swing away and hope for the best.

I am probably too aggressive in spots where I should be more conservative, and vice versa. In one of my best rounds this year, I played fairly conservatively. More irons and fairway woods off the tees, aiming for the center of greens. The other I was quite aggressive, hitting driver and cutting some ridiculous corners. Both ended up around the same score.

Oddly enough, I made 4 birdies in the round where I was more conservative, but a bunch of bogeys (long layoff before that round so short game was terrible), but only one birdie in the round where I was more aggressive. Hit more greens being conservative, made more up and downs when I was aggressive. So funny to look at the differences between the two rounds.

Golf is a funny game

It is a long run vs short run thing plus situational but I think you get what I mean. I would argue the 5 is always the best option though. Say you are giving a stroke on the hole and down in the match and need to win the hole then I would argue take the 6 vs 4. Same as if you are in a tournament like a Monday qualifier or Mid Am qualifier where 10% or less move on(most of us don't need to worry about that, me included) well then you need to go low and the 6 and 4 option is only choice.

Long run can be tricky but the 6/4 scenario will average 5 even if it doesn't that round assuming you have the risk measured correctly. It is a fun debate though. Actually reread what you meant about 6/4 not averaging 5 and missed the part when you don't measure the risk correctly. Very good point, it is much easier to be correct on the conservative option and know you get 5 and misread the aggressive option and be on the wrong side, didn't really consider that, was assuming you judge correctly.

In a nut shell. One shot at a time as aggressive as I can afford to be within the understanding of my abilities. And fwiw the next shot may also be considered in the decision too. Of course things (the plan) can easily change with any one failed execution. But then its on to plan B with the same logic again. Aggressive as possible within my means.

If I could only pick ONE...then I'd say I'm aggressive.

Aggressive or Conservative - Your Style of Play

Every time a question where I can’t make up my mind pops up I want to give the SWAT answer... “metaphysically wrinkle-free”. I think I’m aggressive. My playing partners think I’m conservative. I guess I’ll defer to their judgement since I tend to hit more irons/hybrids off the tee on short par 4’s than anyone I play with. Conservative. Final answer.

When in the trees, I always see the window to the green and go for it! Doesn’t always work out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly Conservative 90% of the time

From the tee or the fairway I'm usually conservative. Out of the trees or in recovery mode I'm aggressive.

The group I usually play in is almost always some form of better ball, 1 gross 1 net, 3 out of 4 etc.

Tournament stroke play 100% conservative

I was talking to some of the guys in my golf league about this the other night and they said that I'm probably the most conservative guy in the league which caught me by surprise. I view it as course management or "hazard management" as I like to call it but never really made the connection to "safe player".
I guess that means I was wrong about myself which is maybe a good thing. If I can be conservative while somehow thinking I'm being aggressive that might bode well?

I was talking to some of the guys in my golf league about this the other night and they said that I'm probably the most conservative guy in the league which caught me by surprise. I view it as course management or "hazard management" as I like to call it but never really made the connection to "safe player".
I guess that means I was wrong about myself which is maybe a good thing. If I can be conservative while somehow thinking I'm being aggressive that might bode well?

Its subjective imo. I think it all comes down to what one considers the words to mean and how it applies to their own game.
At first logic and without more in-depth thought, its very easy to view another person as simply being either aggressive or conservative. Its also view easy to view other against each other as for labeling. But no one outside yourself knows just how, what, why you feel about what you do and how you interpret the labels to your own game and whether or not either one fits.

people who judge me (if they played with me enough) "might" say I live on the conservative side but you all know (via my posts in this thread) how I view and feel about that as for my game.

Overly aggressive and my scores shows it. I score pretty well for only playing 6 months when I play conservatively.

Aggressive. But when I was younger I was super stupid aggressive.

I find the best mindset off the tee is trying to set up a great birdie chance. If I get into trouble along the way, reset to giving myself the best chance to make par or bogey at the worst. So obviously there is a little bit of both at work here.

Back