Aiming the Driver - today's stupidest question!

I found this youtube video helpful.

Just watching that blew my tiny mind! It all makes perfect sense, but at the same time had never occurred to me before. Thanks @Golfever really appreciate you finding that.

It would seem I have a productive range session in front of me tomorrow...

Just back from the range and much, much improved. The TrackMan report for driver below, average distance was way down because of the couple of duffs short but overall very positive. My target green was the right hand one of the top two, and other than a couple that leaked right they were mainly all slightly to the left which was a major change for me. Turns out that even though my club head was aimed right at target, I was standing wide open which only came to light after watching the video. Felt like I was aiming miles right but seems now. A-ha moment indeed!

50D88EFD-FDE9-463C-9D41-EDCC35EFF9C1.png

Oh, and the one on the very right came right off the toe and almost curved round the back of the range 😂

Intermediate aiming point is your friend. Pick a spot just a few feet in from of the ball you want to hit it over in line with your intended line. Not the intended target.

Just have to find something to can focus on. A divot, a rock, an brown spot. Whatever. But one much closer than where you want the ball to end.
I use that point to line my feet up, to start my backswing on that line, and to try to swing the clubhead through it on the through swing. All of those help hit the ball online with minimal sidespin IMO.

I found two drivers for my driver swing.

Aiming my body. Just try to have my feet shoulders and hips lined up to my intended target.

Like many above, visually looking at the club face at address, I"thought my club face was square". Turned out, because of my swing mechanics, by the time my downswing gets back to the ball, ( that inside out path) my club face becomes more open than at address. I now have what I consider a closed club face at address. Didn't want to change my grip, it was comfortable. Just a little tinkering on the range to see what angle does what. Works for me.

Just back from the range and much, much improved. The TrackMan report for driver below, average distance was way down because of the couple of duffs short but overall very positive. My target green was the right hand one of the top two, and other than a couple that leaked right they were mainly all slightly to the left which was a major change for me. Turns out that even though my club head was aimed right at target, I was standing wide open which only came to light after watching the video. Felt like I was aiming miles right but seems now. A-ha moment indeed!

View attachment 8981085

Oh, and the one on the very right came right off the toe and almost curved round the back of the range 😂
Looks like some really good dispersion/grouping which should make for some consistent fairways.

Looks like some really good dispersion/grouping which should make for some consistent fairways.
I’m hoping so. I’m not wanting that ‘magic fix’ that works a few times and then after the honeymoon period is over gets worse and worse. Prepared to put the grind in at the range to work it out, just takes a lot of practice to have to confidence of aiming at a point that feels so far right!

I posted a thread in Flatstick Talk about this, but wow, this was an eye-opener about the use of the line on the ball to putt.

Back