Am I overreacting on this build?

The builder set them up against a wall to cure.......shafts became un-centered due to alignment weight[lean on wall]causing the ferrules to creep

Laughable workmanship. $35 a club... disgraceful. If I were you it’d be a demand my money back kind of situation. And let as many people as possible know not to use that club builder...

The builder set them up against a wall to cure.......shafts became un-centered due to alignment weight[lean on wall]causing the ferrules to creep
Agree that’s likely explanation. What can’t be explained is how the club builder allowed them to get in the hands of their customer in that state 😳.

Somebody needs to learn how to turn furrels. Wow. That is bad.

FWIW, Hogan golf had a FB ad featuring one of their sets. It bugged me because the furrels were not turned down. I actually called them on it and they didn’t even notice until I pointed it out. The picture was changed later that day.

Hell with that noise. That ought to be embarrassing to the shop owner.

Last edited:
I know they have one guy do all the builds and repairs on Sunday and Wednesday nights, more if necessary. He's also their club fitter. Like to give the guy a benefit of the doubt as if he was overworked and rushed but it is awful. Had PGA SS restart one iron once and they did a better job.

As many have said, that is not ok. Hopefully they fix them.

I know they have one guy do all the builds and repairs on Sunday and Wednesday nights, more if necessary. He's also their club fitter. Like to give the guy a benefit of the doubt as if he was overworked and rushed but it is awful. Had PGA SS restart one iron once and they did a better job.
You sound more forgiving than I would be fair play 👍.

I would be embarrassed to return that to a customer. They need to learn how to work with heads that require collared ferrules (easy answer would be to use collared ferrules).

I’m late to the party but there’s no way that’s acceptable no matter how much they charged. If a company holds itself out as a builder they should return perfect product to the customer, unless there is some factor at play to cause an issue. This appears to simply be sh***y work. They should be apologetic and embarrassed.

Unacceptable. Honestly, I would question the work put into the entire build if they finished it that poorly.

I wouldn’t have paid for that. Not to pile on, but that is awful. Hopefully they will make it right.

Definitely well below any expectation. That's just really poor work.

Hey guys! Priority the last few weeks has been getting my wife's new Apex 21 built with her new Accra i-series shafts. We went with a local shop in MA known for their fittings and builds. (As much as I want to learn to do them myself the missus doesn't trust me!)

The grips are perfect but the ferrules installed on the .370 shafts are a little big and not sitting flush. There is a noticeable gap on the 4 and the 8. Can't tell if it is just the ferrule or the shaft isn't in the hosel. She also noticed scratches and glue marks on the hosel. This "premium" fitter charges $35 a club. Too much?
Wow. I've never built a club but I'm 100% confident I can do a better job than that. I'd have him repair/replace those.

Definitely not a job well done. I would frankly be pissed if I paid $35 per club for that shotty workmanship. They do not appear to be collared ferrules either which I always use when installing a head on a graphite shaft.

That’s horrible. Get them to fix it, $35 is premium to get that kind of result. That needs to be perfect.

So...spoke to the apologetic club fitter this evening (can't believe he works on the 4th and a Sunday too). He says they shouldn't have been given to us as they weren't finished. He set them upright against a wall to cure overnight and for the grip guy to do in the morning. After putting the grips on they were put in the box and marked ready. He says he would have noticed the ferrule issue during the buffing of the hosel and ferrule. He thinks there was too much epoxy on the two worst irons that had the issue. He is sanding the ferrules flush. Going to pick them up tomorrow...Hopefully all set and at a discount.

So...spoke to the apologetic club fitter this evening (can't believe he works on the 4th and a Sunday too). He says they shouldn't have been given to us as they weren't finished. He set them upright against a wall to cure overnight and for the grip guy to do in the morning. After putting the grips on they were put in the box and marked ready. He says he would have noticed the ferrule issue during the buffing of the hosel and ferrule. He thinks there was too much epoxy on the two worst irons that had the issue. He is sanding the ferrules flush. Going to pick them up tomorrow...Hopefully all set and at a discount.
Happy to hear that he's apologetic - but it's going to take more than sanding to get those ferrules in line. I'd be concerned about your club lie angles after that confession as well - likely they're all VERY upright.

Just picked them up. They are repaired and are much better. Had the lie angle checked and all were actually fine. Will post a picture later. They still are too pricey for $35 bid. They took the grip charge off but the club build costs come from the builder so we have to get in touch with him for a refund off the club build. Grips come from the store.

Damn I could have done a better job than that & I would have charged you half that. :ROFLMAO: Take them back. I know it's cosmetic (at least I hope it is) but ferrules are my pet peeve. I hate it when they don't look right :eek:

No freaking way that is acceptable. They need to make it right or you should flame them.

That's unacceptable. If it was me, I'd take them back (to show them) and ask for a refund. After receiving that as a finished product, I don't think I'd be able to trust them to make it right.

He already posted the outcome.

Back