Am I the only one who hits my drives less than 250 yds here?

I hit plenty of drives under 250. Can certainly hit it more than that when I am swinging well but my average is under.

Right now I couldn’t get to 250 if I hit my drive and then picked it up and threw it from where it landed

Id say that probably most are under 250 yards, they simply dont realize it or are bragging. I can tell you that most of my drives are 220-240 yards, with the occasional one over 250.
I'm right there in your range.

According to ShotScope, my Driver Performance Average (Anticipated Shot Distance) over the last 3 years has been 225-227.

My driving has been getting consistently longer. I usually don't struggle with finding fairways, so I was never bothered by carrying the ball 210-220. I simply went out and was fit for a shaft that gave me as much roll as I could possibly get. That's how I found my beloved Accra shaft. I would carry the ball 215 yards, and it would roll out to 250 or more.

Now I carry the ball further than ever, but very rarely do I actually carry it more than 230 or 240. I was over joyed to see one travel 280+ in the air last week, but I don't really ever expect to see that. I just continue to rely on as much roll out as I can get.

Nah I'm in that less than 250 mark. Working on getting longer. I'll hit a few longer but generally playing 250 or less.

I’m with you. If I catch a good one, I can do the 250. But, that occurrence is few and far between.

In the years I’ve been playing I’ve seen recreational golfers hit a 300 yard drive maybe 5 times. It’s rare.
There are multiple guys i play with that can do it (not me unless I get a real decent kick or roll), and I see it a good amount from them. I’ve also seen quite a few others at events that can do the same. Probably not average it, but can definitely get it out there that far.

you have to also consider, especially in terms of talent level... If someone is willing and wanting to join a golf community, you’re going to get a lot of very talented golfers and people have been playing a long time. So even if it’s 1% of all amateur golfers that can do it, it might be 5% on THP for example. It’s still not going to be a lot, but it will be more here than in the general public.

250? Heck no. I get maybe 180 carry and sometimes get a good downhill roll to 240. But I'm over 70. 20 years ago, yes, but that is in the past.

not even close to 250 on average. every now and again on a downhill downwind hole I will get to that distance, but my longest drive was 241 yesterday and 244 last week. Average on good shots is probably 225.

Having played with several THPers, there are plenty of guys out here who hit it as far as they say they do. But I also think you find a self selecting group of longer hitters. It is like looking good with your shirt off, if you do you are more likely to take your shirt off whenever possible. If you don't... you probably keep it on as much as possible.

So shorter/average hitters aren't coming on here to discuss how OK they hit it.

It is like looking good with your shirt off, if you do you are more likely to take your shirt off whenever possible. If you don't... you probably keep it on as much as possible.

That is such a good analogy.

Excuse me while I

225 is a LONG drive for me. I constantly find myself at the 150 yard marker for my second shot on most par 4's, and 150 yards is a challenge nowadays (a flushed 5 iron).
I play in a senior golf league (50+ years old) with a lot of good golfers - out of 60 golfers, maybe 1 or 2 can get it out to 250 yards on a regular basis.

Would arccos kick that one out of the averages? Think you were using driver to punch out from the trees, from the tee, or something? I'm always curious how some of that works with arccos.

I have a couple lonely dots on my driver shot chart that every time I see I think, 'there's no way that... ' and then I click on them and I'm like 'Oh. Oh, yeah. I did do that.' lol

I am not sure if Arccos would kick it out or not I bet someone Here can tell us.

I am generally between 220-230 with the driver.

300 is the minimum drive here on THP
I have hit one 300 yard drive in my life and it was in Puerto Rico playing with Obedt, downwind 25 mph and just smoked a rental titleist driver on the perfect line to hit on top of a mound and leaped forward for some serious rollout. Then of course I chunked the wedge and might have made a bogie...

On my Arccos my average is 254. There is always a mix in my rounds of distances. My drive Of 27 yards yesterday didn’t help the average 😂
Would arccos kick that one out of the averages? Think you were using driver to punch out from the trees, from the tee, or something? I'm always curious how some of that works with arccos.

I have a couple lonely dots on my driver shot chart that every time I see I think, 'there's no way that... ' and then I click on them and I'm like 'Oh. Oh, yeah. I did do that.' lol

Yes, Arccos kicks off shots out of your smart range. And that is a dynamic number and will adjust depending on how far you are playing. So yesterday, I think only 5 of my drives are calculated in my average. makes sense as several holes are into the wind, down wind, hit a bunker etc etc.

When you first get started 1 or 2 shots could really skew your data, but after you get some rounds in (probably 5-10) it starts to get dialed in pretty well.

Being 68 years old and having had lower back surgery has trimmed my driving yardage off the tee quite abit. The only thing where I still get good yardage from my drives is on the green. My putts still go by the pin by a good margin. :LOL:

Yes, Arccos kicks off shots out of your smart range. And that is a dynamic number and will adjust depending on how far you are playing. So yesterday, I think only 5 of my drives are calculated in my average. makes sense as several holes are into the wind, down wind, hit a bunker etc etc.

When you first get started 1 or 2 shots could really skew your data, but after you get some rounds in (probably 5-10) it starts to get dialed in pretty well.
That's really interesting. I've never had it explained in quite that way. I feel like that would eliminate a lot more shots than I thought from my rounds. Unless the smart range would expand to accommodate. I have days here where every drive is either 230 or 310 depending on which way you're hitting. There's literally nothing in between.

What is more meaningful, average distance you hit a club or the median? A case can always be made for throwing out mishits or really short shots into very windy conditions which bring the average down, but then does anyone factor out those extreme downwind, firm and fast drives? Would the median or what Game Golf calls "Typical" (does Arccos have something similar?) be more indicative with some longer and some shorter?

not even close to 250 on average. every now and again on a downhill downwind hole I will get to that distance, but my longest drive was 241 yesterday and 244 last week. Average on good shots is probably 225.

Having played with several THPers, there are plenty of guys out here who hit it as far as they say they do. But I also think you find a self selecting group of longer hitters. It is like looking good with your shirt off, if you do you are more likely to take your shirt off whenever possible. If you don't... you probably keep it on as much as possible.

Your analogy is spot on once again!

Okay, so I'll admit that I just skimmed this tread, already four pages when I first found it. It does appear that there are a lot of us that easily admit that we don't hit the ball 250+ very often, much less on average. I have played with a few THPers though, and a lot of these guys can get the ball out there. :drinks:

I get the original question though, just like it seems to me that there are only a hand full of us on here that will admit to a driver swing speed less that 95 or so. Personally, last time I had the opportunity to check, mine was high 80s to low 90s, and I have had sessions where I didn't break into the 90s. Seems like around here most claim 100+, with another good group at 95+. Probably the same as with distance though, us slower guys just don't talk about it much. :confused2:

I’m definitely under 250. Get the occasional perfect strike that goes a bit farther, but I’m under 250 on my usual strikes

Okay, so I'll admit that I just skimmed this tread, already four pages when I first found it. It does appear that there are a lot of us that easily admit than we don't hit the ball 250+ very often, much less on average. I have played with a few THPers though, and a lot of these guys can get the ball out there. :drinks:

I get the original question though, just like it seems to me that there are only a hand full of us on here that will admit to a driver swing speed less that 95 or so. Personally, last time I had the opportunity to check, mine was high 80s to low 90s, and I have had sessions where I didn't break into the 90s. Seems like around here most claim 100+, with another good group at 95+. Probably the same as with distance though, us slower guys just don't talk about it much. :confused2:
Don't forget to add we are 20-40 years older than most of the members.....so even though there maybe some 60+ year old folks than can average 250 they are not the norm from what I have seen.

:LOL: My swing speed when measured last December at CC when I did my full bag fitting was 84 mph. Haven't had many opportunities this year yet to get out, but last year I was still able once to crank a drive out there to around 260. Of course the wind was behind me and and it was downhill. :laughing:

Back