Animals on the golf course

Depends on where I play. Most common is Canadian geese, they are a royal pain in the rear parts. Some of the courses I play at it's not uncommon to see a few deer. have seen numerous coyotes. One course I play at have sand cranes in residence. It's not unusual to run into to a sand crane or two on this course.

I seen all sorts of wildlife in Michigan. rabbits, Fox, deer, squirrels, etc...

I saw a cat last month in Venice Florida. Not quite sure exactly what it is. Bobcat or lynx. I tried to post a video but it is too long. Oh yeah, lots of gators in Florida!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Had these 2 youngsters running circles around our foresome as we were approaching a green a number of years ago, mom was about 200 yds away casually eating. Deer are very tame at my home course....really enjoy their company.

3CB97ACB-2D89-4260-95B1-708AE09E2D44.jpeg

I really enjoy seeing wildlife on the course... at a safe distance.
We regularly see coyotes, foxes, bears, lynx and deer. Besides the rabbits, squirrels and gophers of course. And then birds... lots of those. Bald eagles, ravens etc...

I once did some fall golf in the Cypress Hills of Alberta, Canada. One of the holes had a patch of bush in the middle of fairway, you had to go either left or right around it. As we approached the bush, a Bull Moose stepped out to greet us. He was about 25 yards from us. I'm 6 feet tall and my eyes were the height of his chest, his head and rack was above that. Unluckily for us it was during rutting season when the Bull Moose are much more aggressive. We slowly did a 90 degree turn and walked slowly away from him. No point in running as Moose can run at 35 mph. Luckily for us he didn't chase us or we could have been killed.

Some kangaroo on the course from my visit to Australia last summer. On one hole there were about 20 or so lounging around IMG_20190730_122257.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190730_122257.jpg
    IMG_20190730_122257.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 5
We have tons of rabbits (and consequently, well-fed coyotes), feral pigs, javelina, donkeys, lizards, rattlesnakes, and occasional fox and bobcat sightings. Birds - roadrunners, ducks, coots, herons, ravens, hawks, turkey vultures. Coots are filthy birds - they hang out in the water hazards, but walk up onto the course and crap all over the fairways and greens adjacent to the water. The only insects worth mentioning are ground bees all over the place in the spring, and tarantula hawks - big, nasty, scary-looking things that are the second most painful insect sting in the world.

I once did some fall golf in the Cypress Hills of Alberta, Canada. One of the holes had a patch of bush in the middle of fairway, you had to go either left or right around it. As we approached the bush, a Bull Moose stepped out to greet us. He was about 25 yards from us. I'm 6 feet tall and my eyes were the height of his chest, his head and rack was above that. Unluckily for us it was during rutting season when the Bull Moose are much more aggressive. We slowly did a 90 degree turn and walked slowly away from him. No point in running as Moose can run at 35 mph. Luckily for us he didn't chase us or we could have been killed.

That's really cool. Love seeing wildlife near the course.

We get deer, turkey, squirrels, and geese a lot. We've seen mink, beavers, muskrat, fox, coyotes, cattle, horses, chihuahuas, lots of bald and golden eagles, and we're in a huge waterfowl migration area so we get massive numbers of cranes in about a month, and the ducks and geese are pretty constant from Halloween until the end of March. When the wife and I played a couple weeks ago she loved that there was a real strong group of canadas swirling around the river course. She'd never been right under them when it's so loud you can't hear anything else.

Nothing too crazy or unusual for the courses I've played:

14th hole at Caledonia last year:
20190125_155822793_iOS.jpg

Sugarloaf, Maine
20180709_171007763_iOS.jpg

Trull Brook - N. Reading, MA
IMG_1399.jpg

Thistle - NC just this past month
IMG_1548.jpg

There's also a female deer that has a broken leg that I've seen a couple of times at Windham CC in NH. Saw her on the 16th and then the following year on the 4th, so she obviously gets around (slowly). Didn't see her last year, so I don't know what happened to her.

We have lots of fat fox squirrels and some Canada geese that scuff up and leave presents on a few greens around one pond.

My home course...

Deer everywhere. Played with a coyote on a par 3 a week or two ago.

I saw at least 25 deer this past Saturday.

6EB42894-5C5D-488D-AE2A-07B352AC59B9.jpeg

If it lived in the area, I have seen it on the golf course. Everything from snakes to a few moose.

Funny story. I was golfing with a man and his son. They were from back east some where.

Out of the blue, he son asked me if there were any Roadrunners on the course, and what did they look like.

I told him we did, and that they looked a lot like the cartoon character. Also, that we might also get to see a Coyote trying to catch one. The young man gave me a dirty look, and muttered something about my answer.

A couple holes later, we ran into 3 Roadrunners on a green, with a Coyote standing off to the side watching the birds eating bugs, worms, or what ever.

The young man was ecstatic, and apologized to me. Said he thought I was putting him on. He took pictures for about 10 minutes I think, before we could make our approach shots.

In Texas I see a lot of deer, ducks, geese, and other birds. I did see a bobcat stroll across a fairway once at Ft Hood several years ago.

That was as she was running to snag my 3rd ball on a par 3! Stuck the tee shot within 6 ft.on all 3 and she would run out and snag them and run back to the woods. Guys on the next tee box laughed their asses off! Hollered at her on the 4th one and startled her. Of course that one I faded right into the trap. Made the up and down and the guys let me score a par instead of a 9. ?

Used toplay league at a local course where, at the 14th green, there was a family of foxes living in the woods to the left of the green. Either the Mom, or one of the kits, would run out and steal your approach shot. After a while, we stopped re-hitting, and just put a ball down as near as we could figure that our original shot landed.

Try getting your ball from a flock of geese when they have babies in the spring!☠☠☠☠☠

Or if a goose is sitting the nest. That gander will get after you!

Myrtle Beach Golf & Yacht Club:oops:

I played in Hot Springs Village on Saturday. You have to be careful driving in the village as deer are everywhere. I didn't see any while playing, but we had dinner at one of the courses and several deer were going back and forth across the 15th fairway while we were eating.

Can you say Duck, duck, goose?

20210509_152616.jpg

Back