Another swing weight conversation? FW vs. Hybrid vs. Irons?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I want to reshaft my clubs as mentioned in other threads but I just can't come around what swingweight actually works and it's just near impossible to "test" them. I thought I wanted a heavier swingweight based on hitting fitter clubs that have the little adapter on the bottom that puts them somewhere around D5 and made them just feel easier for me to drop the club. I'm a thinner, I thin the ball more time then I'm able to "get down on it".

BUT the best club in my bag sits at D0-D1 in my 5W.

Are most of you playing a lighter swingweight on your fairways vs. irons?

Typically keep them the same. My bag is D2 from driver down to 50 degree wedge.

Everything in my bag is the same SW.

But it’s important to remember this isn’t a one size fits all thing. If your 5w is good for you, just leave it alone. Don’t go down the paralysis by over-analysis road on accident.

If you really want to test swingweight, you can use lead tape.
Swingweight is something a player easily adapts to. Lighter or heavier. Some players will swear on one swing weight for a whole set. Others swear by a progressive swing weight. MOI matched sets are progressive. Heavy in the wedges and long irons get lighter.
Driver and FW, to me, have the biggest change in feel with swing weight. Again, it's very personal, and players can be all over the map.
If you want to dial in your happy place... get some lead tape.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

historically I like all my heads a bit heavy feeling and my wedges even a bit heavier feeling. D4 in my irons/fw/hybrids/driver and more like d7/8 in my wedges.
I've made a number of swing changes in the last year and on same timing but new irons, wedges. Those irons and wedges play at a near stock D1/D2 range and honestly I'm not feeling or noticing much of a difference; my hybrids still play around D4/d5

recently I did range and on course testing of my driver going from the stock D1 up to D8. what I found as I increased swing weight was that my ball height rose but in couse play I could see that a good deal of that height was spin that the wind just ate that up and I started to fade the ball ( i naturally draw the ball). So I backed down to roughly D2/d3

I have no idea what any of my clubs swingweights are but I can tell when something is too heavy or too light. Recently bought a Callaway UW and it was just too heavy. I kept chunking it so I unscrewed the weight in the bottom and it was 10g over the standard. I started with lead tape and applied 1g at a time till it felt right. 3g did it and I hit it really well and consistently now. That's how I generally handle it especially since I like buying used equipment when I can.

I tend to play my wedges a point or so more than my irons, woods/hybrids a point or so less, and driver about the same

Driver is D3 and fitted. Everything else up to PW is D2, then the 50, 55, 59 are about D3, D3, D4. I like more headweight in the wedges for chips around the green and other partial shots. With the driver, that's what the fitter did, but I've also had D3 irons that the fitter recommended. Depends on your set, your shaft, how you are swinging.

Last edited:
Back