Any clone clubs in your bag (not counterfeit or knock offs)?

I played the best golf of my life with a set of Tour Model 4’s. 3-SW. Had them built to spec for about $300.00 (back in 96-97 or so). They were quality and basically a copy cat of Ping Eye 2’s.

I played them for close to 20 years. I’ll still play a round or two a year with them. The only casualty from that set was the SW and I sent it to the bottom of a lake. It liked putting my ball in that lake so I felt a water burial appropriate.

No and haven't since a clone of the original Big Bertha metal driver 25 or so years ago.

Yup. Pinemeadow irons. They ZRs, which are pretty much a clone of Titleist AP1s. I like them because they perform pretty much the same and cost a fraction as much.
Some may look down their nose at clones but the fact is that pretty much everything is a clone or copy of something else and some very well known and respect companies over the years, such as Tour Edge and Nickent, started out as clone companies.
Do you play an Anser style putter? Clone. Do you play blade wedges? Clone.
The way I see it, all golf clubs are made in the same handful of foundries in Asia and what does it matter if they are cast for Callaway, Titleist or Pinemeadow? Some would say that clones are of inferior quality or inferior materials but they are cast in the same foundries as everyone else and I can say that in the case of Pinemeadow, they use the same quality of steel, so the only difference I see is that you are paying big money for a big name that you see on TV or on tour or a fraction as much for a Pinemeadow set. 🤷‍♂️
When I first started playing golf in the late '90s, all that I could afford were Pinemeadows or box set clubs from Wal-Mart. They were cheap but they got me out on the course and I had a lot of fun with them. Later, when I could afford it, I started buying name brand clubs and have played name brand clubs for the last 15 years or so. I recently got into more value clubs and recently got back into playing Wilsons and Pinemeadows and I honestly cant tell much of any difference between these and expensive name brand clubs.
I guess with age and maybe wisdom comes the realization that there is so much hype and marketing in the golf industry and that you don't need name brand clubs to get out on the course and have fun. Its like what they said on the Mygolfspy podcast the other day: club companies love to tell you when someone won with their gear but they never tell you about the 20 other guys who are slamming the trunk of their cars on Friday afternoon after they missed the cut. :LOL:

I played the best golf of my life with a set of Tour Model 4’s. 3-SW. Had them built to spec for about $300.00 (back in 96-97 or so). They were quality and basically a copy cat of Ping Eye 2’s.

I played them for close to 20 years. I’ll still play a round or two a year with them. The only casualty from that set was the SW and I sent it to the bottom of a lake. It liked putting my ball in that lake so I felt a water burial appropriate.
Tour Model!!! I had a set of those in the ‘90s too, couldn’t remember the brand name until you said it! I knew it was “Tour” something, was thinking Tour Edge but knew that wasn’t it, as they (Tour Model) were a total knockoff company. I wanted Ping Eye 2s badly, but couldn’t afford them at the time and the Tour Models fit the bill. IIRC, they also made fairway woods, which were knockoffs of Adams Tight Lies.

Sorry I can’t provide a URL, but go to mygolfspy.com and look for the article titled “ BEHIND THE CURTAIN: JUST WHO IS DESIGNING YOUR GOLF CLUBS?” Kind of interesting, especially the second paragraph about Lynx, Hireko, and Diamond Tour Golf and discussion of “open model” club components. Another question I have is where do all the foundry overruns of an OEM’s production run go when a model is no longer offered? Hireko, GolfWorks, Monark, etc.?

Last edited:
Yep, I carry a GigaGolf driver I recently bought. I'm in my late sixties and wanted to try a ladies shaft on my driver. They made one for me after talking to them on the phone. Put a Winn Dri-tac midsize grip on it, too. Actually completed the order on the internet after the phone instructions. Service was great. And the price was very reasonable.

Really enjoy the club ... getting about 10 more yards off the tee and keeping it straight most of the time ... the ladies shaft works well for me and my slower swing speed ...

Good Golfing ...

I have a 40º iDrive hybrid iron I use as a 9 iron; it's a point and shoot club for me

None, and for decades now. But very early on in golf, I bought a clone set of Big Bertha irons in Myrtle Beach in 1995. I think they were called "Tandric," if I’m not mistaken. My buddy had Big Berthas and these were the same shape and apparently the same size but of course the finish and badging looked much cheaper. They were fine, not that my golf game at the time could ever tell the difference.

I remember moving on from them to my first real set of new irons, Ram FX Oversize. They were in fact, much better.

I play X9 Hybrids that are based on the Taylormade R9 Rescue. I love em. Fully built for 45 bucks a club. They go all the way up to sand wedge even. I mean if it accomplishes what you as a player needs it to accomplish then I say use it. Clone or not.

61AA9786-17D3-4700-9FCF-E6D9F66FA4F1.jpeg

No Clone, but when I think of clone I think of the knock offs that look like real clubs (TM Burner - Bomber.) I'm not opposed to a brand like Acer, I see them as an OEM with smaller R&D and a couple of years behind the tech curve.

Back