any fishermen here?

Flouro is good for holding the bottom but not so much for top water application. I like to use swim baits, jerks, sticks, and cranks. Not so much into surf fishing, but might try a few times with Gulp Sand Worms. I may even try to learn fly fishing this year.

growing up fished a small creek with dough balls, caught a lot of carp mid sized 10-20 lbs. Really didn't know what to do with them i.e. mud streaks e.t.c. I guess you need to cut it out. Tried to eat one once, tasted like crap. Not surprising given that creek had a lot of raw sewage spewing into it....Ugh.

growing up fished a small creek with dough balls, caught a lot of carp mid sized 10-20 lbs. Really didn't know what to do with them i.e. mud streaks e.t.c. I guess you need to cut it out. Tried to eat one once, tasted like crap. Not surprising given that creek had a lot of raw sewage spewing into it....Ugh.
yeah, i definitely would not eat a carp....but i see some people do. very boney and taste like mud.

Long time fisher, almost all of it for stream bass and trout. The only time I’ll go to a lake is to fly fish for Bluegill.
In my neck of the country float fishing rivers for Smallmouth Bass is as good as fishing gets. The Ozark area of Missouri and Arkansas is blessed with many beautiful rivers and creeks. Trips are typically over night or multi night with camps set up on secluded gravel bars, It’s the closest thing to heaven.

I had not picked up a rod in 10 years until my kid decided he wanted to fish. Ended up with a new(to me) bass boat, 6 new rods and reels, and a ton of tackle by the end of the summer. Still haven’t told the wife that the boat in the driveway doesn’t actually belong to my buddy that dropped it off. Timing is important on these matters!

Just take my approach with golf clubs, throw an ugly hardcover (in this case a tarp) over it and pretend nothing has changed. I only got called out when there’d be a new fancy headcover (that and EBay sending me a 1099).

pinseeker

Glad your going fishing again!
Yea I Fish, see avatar :LOL:.
Was a Guide on the Great Lakes up in Wisconsin, Walleye, Pike, Smallmouth, Salmon. When I got to Saltwater the first fish I wanted was (avatar) Sharks!:ROFLMAO: Titleist Hat...

Like the others said, Braids are hard as hell to break off, and rated above there poundage, so be careful with heavy leader. Braid will wrap under itself on reel also when trying to breakoff so watch out for that. Mostly all my inshore reels are no more than 15# pound braid. My best fluorocarbon leader is Yo-Zuri Hybrid (check It). Braid to leader is back to back Uni or Albright knots.

Best swimbaits for me are Z-man, love them. Vo-Do Shrimp are killer also. Live and cut baits always get bit and circle hooks work great, they can't shake um off...
Anyway Glad your Back at it, Enjoy the outdoors!

Wisconsin
841.jpg
Favorite in salt now, Tailing Redfish on Fly
IMG_0527.JPG

Mos 67Y

Thanks for the valuable insight. I find braid a bit frustrating to handle at times, but with practice it is getting better. I also use double uni. I tried to tie FG a few times and while I was able to, I found it too time consuming. I also like the Alberto. As for lures, just beginning....

20210106_111626.jpg

I used to be a HUGE fisherman. I fish less now that I golf but I'm fortunate enough to have a golf course in my front yard and a private pond/small lake in my back yard. I still fish once or twice a week. My wife loves it so it's a hobby we enjoy together as sh'es not a golfer. I am strictly a frsh water lake type fisherman but can give you a couple recommendations based on your initial post.
Have you used braid before? This may seem like a dumb question but there is a learning curve to using it. Once you get used to it you will love it but here are some braid tips learned the hard way from me.
The #1 issue with braid is the line "digging in" to the spool. This is caused by not getting it spooled tightly or trying to pull your lure out when snagged. Do not just pull on your rod when snagged as this will cause digging in for sure. I actually carry a little wooden dowel and wrap the line around that a couple times and pull that way to free it. The mono/flour/ co poly leader should be LESS lbs than your braid. Quite a bit less actually. This makes it easier to tie a proper line to line knot as they will be closer in diameter (braid is super thin for its break strength) it also makes sure that the leader breaks off and not the expensive braid. Unlike other lines you can leave braid on your reel for several years. I am a freshwater guy so my line diameter will be small but I go 15 lb braid and 8 lb leader on spinning reels and 30 lb braid and 12 lb leader on baitcasting setups.

You will also need a "backer" on the reel before the braid goes on if you are using a spinning reel. The braid will slip on the spool if you don't. I usually use a mono backer but a couple wraps of electrical tape work also. Braid is a superior line to mono when used properly but honestly I don't recommend it for someone just starting out. I actually don't recommend fluorocarbon for a new person either. Again, great line for the right application but a learning curve.

mostly a freshwater guy here. Bass most commonly but I would fish for anything. Don't care to clean anything so bass is a good fit with me. Headed to south florida to fish Friday for a week. Might play the par 3 in our community during the afternoon one day as well.

I used to be a HUGE fisherman. I fish less now that I golf but I'm fortunate enough to have a golf course in my front yard and a private pond/small lake in my back yard. I still fish once or twice a week. My wife loves it so it's a hobby we enjoy together as sh'es not a golfer. I am strictly a frsh water lake type fisherman but can give you a couple recommendations based on your initial post.
Have you used braid before? This may seem like a dumb question but there is a learning curve to using it. Once you get used to it you will love it but here are some braid tips learned the hard way from me.
The #1 issue with braid is the line "digging in" to the spool. This is caused by not getting it spooled tightly or trying to pull your lure out when snagged. Do not just pull on your rod when snagged as this will cause digging in for sure. I actually carry a little wooden dowel and wrap the line around that a couple times and pull that way to free it. The mono/flour/ co poly leader should be LESS lbs than your braid. Quite a bit less actually. This makes it easier to tie a proper line to line knot as they will be closer in diameter (braid is super thin for its break strength) it also makes sure that the leader breaks off and not the expensive braid. Unlike other lines you can leave braid on your reel for several years. I am a freshwater guy so my line diameter will be small but I go 15 lb braid and 8 lb leader on spinning reels and 30 lb braid and 12 lb leader on baitcasting setups.
yep, learning quickly. I currently have 30 lb braid with 9 ft FC 14 lb. Using Tactical Angler clips between end of FC and have sliding weight below that with Caroliner keeper between middle of FC and terminal end. This way I can detach the "extra" leader with swivel from the main leader with the clip, put on a lure or different length of 2nd leader and fix a ball sinker to main. main > 9 ft FC > 2-4 ft smaller FC.> terminal.

You will also need a "backer" on the reel before the braid goes on if you are using a spinning reel. The braid will slip on the spool if you don't. I usually use a mono backer but a couple wraps of electrical tape work also. Braid is a superior line to mono when used properly but honestly I don't recommend it for someone just starting out. I actually don't recommend fluorocarbon for a new person either. Again, great line for the right application but a learning curve.
my spinner is braid ready, no need for backer (built into the spool). It is Penn Battle III. I used to fish a lot, had my own boat e.t.c. but it has been a long time and I had gave away all my gear. Even had a yak which I had flipped off the coast in 300 ft of water/Great White habitat, which kind of soured me on that idea.

I'm a lifetime recreational fisherman - mostly largemouth bass in FL and TX, and mostly in my youth. I don't fish nearly as much as I used to, maybe getting out to the pond at our golf course or off of a pier in Galveston, TX every now and then.

I bought a nice Penn reel and a 7' rod to use when I lived in Mexico, but never got to use them. I definitely plan to do some fishing when I'm in La Paz the whole month of February and then when we move to Cabo in August. The one fish I'd love to catch from shore is a Roosterfish!

I'm not a die hard fisherman, but I have an ultra light spinning rig that I use at our local lake, mostly using plastic worms. There are pickerel and bass, and with the ultra light rig they are fun to catch regardless of size.

I'm not a die hard fisherman, but I have an ultra light spinning rig that I use at our local lake, mostly using plastic worms. There are pickerel and bass, and with the ultra light rig they are fun to catch regardless of size.
yah, I don't consider my current spinning combo be especially light as it would be good for some relatively heavier off shore, but the rod I have is kind of light (6 ft 6in Ugly Stick Elite). I will probably get a bait caster such as Penn Warfare or Senator and a heavier rod. My license permits me an "extra" rod.

yah, I don't consider my current spinning combo be especially light as it would be good for some relatively heavier off shore, but the rod I have is kind of light (6 ft 6in Ugly Stick Elite). I will probably get a bait caster such as Penn Warfare or Senator and a heavier rod. My license permits me an "extra" rod.

Tip:!

I’ve done the Ugly Stick. I’ve done the Berkley Lightning Rod.

There is no comparison. If you wanna feel a whale setting it’s teeth, go Ugly Stick. If you wanna feel the minnow nibbling, go Lightning Rod.

I grew up on the Mississippi gulf coast. Spent my time engaged in the sport of the season and saltwater fishing when I could. My best high school job was a deckhand on charter boat, many years ago. Here are some thoughts.

Looks like you picked a good spinning reel, as mentioned before try not to go to heavy with your line. 20# braided will fish like 8# mono with a 15-20 % increase in break strength depending on your rod. If you are fishing structure, docks, rocks and piers the durability will be fine. I would and do fish with a leader. Flounder fishing off rock piles I always used steel leasers, speckled trout and red fish I would rig all mono, 20# with a 30# leader. This helps with sharp teeth and shock.

I rarely use a leader when in freshwater for like bass and other game fish. I use a leader for catfish, the big ones have a rough mouth and can chafe a line pretty quick.

Braided line uses different knots, there are hundreds of knot tying help on the web. When I fish with live bait, I recently started using circle hooks. These are bad boys, the fish literally hook themselves. No hook setting, when they take it start reeling. We fished red snapper last season in Alabama using circle hooks, new to me I missed the first few trying to hook set. When I avoided the set, waited for the bite, it was over.

Saltwater I like soft baits like gulp. Hard baits I fish almost exclusively mirro lures. I use a few hard freshwater lures only if mirro is not available

You are way beyond my "pay grade" with your equipment knowledge. My fishing rod might be 5' long and whippy, and the line is very light test - not sure what pound test.
All that being said, I do enjoy an occasional morning at the lake, casting and smoking a nice cigar (fish are a bonus).

If I'm not playing golf, I'm fishing. Several small lakes and ponds around home but most of the summer have a place on Lake Chautauqua NY. I primarily fish for bass but am surprised by the occasional walleye or muskie.

My go to rods are St. Croix. A couple of avids several premiers. Go to reel is Pflueger Supreme. I have 4 of them of various sizes. They are the perfect match of quality, lightness and value as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
If I'm not playing golf, I'm fishing. Several small lakes and ponds around home but most of the summer have a place on Lake Chautauqua NY. I primarily fish for bass but am surprised by the occasional walleye or muskie.

My go to rods are St. Croix. A couple of avids several premiers. Go to reel is Pflueger Supreme. I have 4 of them of various sizes. They are the perfect match of quality, lightness and value as far as I am concerned.
Pfluger supreme is an excellent reel for a decent price

i am also considering getting conventional reel for sport fishing, nothing too heavy. The Penn Senator Special 112H is a pretty good deal. Probably would spool it with 30# mono. Only concern I have is how it would cast for surface presentation. Some have said it is more of a bottom fishing reel. The newer ones are said to be a little faster and perhaps would be okay for retrieving iron such as single hook Tady. The Rod recommended is Tsunami boat rod, or another Penn Boat rod (costs more). I was also looking at the Warfare, but a dealer recommended the Senator as a better choice in that price range.

Bang for the buck look at the cabelas salt stroker reels. I have several...they are inexpensive are work great. I like to pair them with an ugly stick. 30lb braid....lets get it on

regarding use of the Tactical Angler clips, I note that different lures require different size clips. Some jig heads have very tiny apertures and the clips are too thick. They do have a micro size that fit however. Problem is you have to retie if you need to change out the clips. My solution is to use a small end loop (I use the surgeon's knot and add a three or four turn uni) and simply attach the loop to the clip the same way you would clip on a lure. Or you could also feed the loop through the clip and back over it self (like a girth hitch). I don't have to retie this way, but arguably, the clip "might" wear through the loop, but has not happened to me yet.

Bang for the buck look at the cabelas salt stroker reels. I have several...they are inexpensive are work great. I like to pair them with an ugly stick. 30lb braid....lets get it on
took a look at them and others. I finally ended up with a Penn Fathom 30LD2. It is a lever drag, two speed retrieval, all metal housing and side plates. Found a deal online and saved $70. (they offered a price match guarantee and I found one). I highly recommend Tackle Direct. Depending on where you live, no tax, free shipping, very fast delivery.

Back