Any health experts? Cholesterol?

@DGA3, all I can say is do your homework on the current science surrounding cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. Science is discovering "high" cholesterol may well not be the problem it's been thought to be and that statins are not good.

A couple recent posts on X on the topic:

100%

I was sitting on 6.0 6 months ago (age 66). Put off getting on the statins to see if eating a little better did anything. Didn't buy any cheese, ice cream, or potato chips for 3 months (atta boy...), only lowered it to 5.5. Tested again a couple of weeks ago.....down to 4.2 even with my going back on the cheese etc. Problem is......after a little over 2 months I developed tinnitus (seems to be a side effect of statins) in both ears and hearing blood rushing in my left ear. I've been off them most of 3 weeks now....no improvement. Dr wanted me to wait another couple of weeks to see if things would get better before trying anything else. I've always exercised plenty, can't run anymore but usually walk at least 5 miles in the mornings and then either play a round of golf or get on the Elliptical in the garage.

I take a statin that has my cholesterol in great ranges. Initially I took Lipitor, and it worked well but eventually caused my legs to get very tired and sore. Apparently a possible side effect that can develop over time. Now taking a much lower dose of Rosuvastatin which seems to be doing fine, and no more muscle aches or weakness.

Thanks for the intelligent responses, everyone. Much appreciated.

I share the belief that more recent research has determined that cholesterol levels are more determined by heredity than diet (that's why it is now ok to eat eggs!). If that's true, then I am in good shape, because my dad will turn 93 this year and takes no medications! He still lives on his own and is becoming a little smaller and more frail with time, but he enjoys a couple of Old Fashions every night while watching reruns of "Cheers." :ROFLMAO:

I'm also wondering if - although they are proven to reduce cholesterol - statins are actually of much benefit in the risk reduction of strokes and heart attacks. The most recent research indicates that they do not (you can skip to around the 6:00 mark if you want to only hear the results):

I guess if my doc wants me to go on a statin, and we can find one that does its job without any side effects, it can't hurt (can it?). Maybe it would provide some peace of mind and stress reduction, knowing that my numbers are back in the "normal" (safe/healthy?) range.

I share the belief that more recent research has determined that cholesterol levels are more determined by heredity than diet (that's why it is now ok to eat eggs!).
No. It's ok to eat eggs, again, because it's coming to light it isn't protein and fat that raises cholesterol, and that cholesterol, itself, may not be the bad guy. The problems may actually be high triglycerides and high glycemic index (GI) foods. (Ironically, the latter being the stuff the federal government, agribusiness, and the health "care" industry has been pushing for the last half-century.) See, for example: Effects of the glycemic index of foods on serum concentrations of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides

Check out Peter Attia. I find him really great and if for nothing else, will help inform your decisions. He has numerous videos on the topic. Suggest more recent ones because current thinking and science does evolve

I started statins in October after results showed I had slightly high cholesterol. I was recommended statins after they used a formula to determine my risk. I actually didn't want to take them but so many people I spoke to said they are fine and that it would reduce the risk of any problems. I'm a fit, healthy 58 year old but I thought why not?

I'm not an expert, but my numbers have come down pretty dramatically after being on Lipitor 3x/week.

Get them to do a sonogram of your carotid artery. If there's any plaque buildup found, that's a sign you're a person who has a pre-disposition and your doctor is likely to prescribe a statin. Apparently because of genetics, some people resist plaque buildup a lot more than others. My understanding is, when your cholesterol is down, the small plaque buildups can disintegrate safely. It's when they get big and a large chunk breaks off that you've got big problems (i.e. heart attack or stroke).

FWIW, I have genetically high cholesterol. Been taking a 10mg statin to bring it within range. But, my levels dropped at least 20 points since I started having a bowl of low sugar oatmeal every morning. I was shocked. Didn't change anything else.

Red wine is always my go to health fix... not that California stuff... good Washington State Red. I am 77 and take no meds - cholesterol and BP is normal.

FWIW, I have genetically high cholesterol. Been taking a 10mg statin to bring it within range. But, my levels dropped at least 20 points since I started having a bowl of low sugar oatmeal every morning. I was shocked. Didn't change anything else.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast every other day, along with greek yogurt and blueberries.

On the opposite days, I eat two eggs (scrambled in a no-stick skillet with no oils or butters), and a link of turkey sausage.

I have been on a statin for years after having had a TIA in my early 30s

Never had any side effects, but it just took a little monitoring to find the correct dosage in conjunction with the other meds I also take

My cardiologist plays Whac-A-Mole with my LDL. If it creeps above 70 out comes the mallet.

I’m in my early 40’s and fought cholesterol for 10 years before going on a statin. Genetics are terrible. At some point diet, exercise, red yeast rice and all the other non prescription options just couldn’t keep up.

I’m on about the lowest dose of the least effective statin. I have noticed a little joint swelling in my hands and knees, but that could also be arthritis…

I cut sugar. Almost everything we eat as normal in US diet. Cereal, yogurt, fruit, bread, pasta, chips, fries, pizza and beer.

My diet is low glycemic and I eat the chit out of eggs, steak, vegetables, keto bread, bourbon and fried seafood

My triglycerides dropped like a rock and my hdl improved and is outstanding. I’ve been a baby does of statins for 20 years. I workout daily for 50 years.

Not fueling my body w sugar is the change as of 2 years ago that made huge difference

I cut sugar. Almost everything we eat as normal in US diet. Cereal, yogurt, fruit, bread, pasta, chips, fries, pizza and beer.
Low- or zero-sugar Greek yogurt is actually very good for you. Fruit, in moderation, is also good for you.

My diet is low glycemic and I eat the chit out of eggs, steak, vegetables, keto bread, bourbon and fried seafood
Alcohol, all alcohol, is no bueno. It's not the direct calories, per se, but that it raises cortisol. Increased cortisol leads to body fat gain/retention. Increased body fat leads to increased triglycerides and cholesterol.

Low- or zero-sugar Greek yogurt is actually very good for you. Fruit, in moderation, is also good for you.

Alcohol, all alcohol, is no bueno. It's not the direct calories, per se, but that it raises cortisol. Increased cortisol leads to body fat gain/retention. Increased body fat leads to increased triglycerides and cholesterol.

Yeah, I do eat greek yogurt sometimes for lunch but was refering to the desert like traditional yogurts we grew up on.

i threw in alcholol and fried seafood to make a point. The point is that at least me and three friends have figured out that we don't need to eat great to have great blood sugar results and to be a highschool weight while in our 50's while basically eating as much as we want. By contrast, I see people counting every calorie and struggleling to hit the goal. They might post, I ate a healthly breaftast of OJ/Bananna/ and Traditional yogurt. Since this stuff is low fat and low cholestoral we have been taught this must be good. Not until I trashed this thinking and tried someone elses approach did I find a path that worked for me without pain and highly sustainable.

Re: LDL

From everything I read, it's great to reduce your LDL, which is what statins do. However, there are two types of LDL - the small, dense kind, and the large, fluffy type. The large particles are actually good for you, while the small particles are the bad ones that become lodged in your arteries. Statins (from what I have gleaned) only reduce the beneficial large particles, and do not reduce the dangerous small, dense ones.

An NMR test can tell what amount of each you have in your blood. Following my upcoming calcium CT heart scan, I may request an NMR test to be further informed when it comes to a decision about taking a statin.

My triglycerides dropped like a rock and my hdl improved and is outstanding. I’ve been a baby does of statins for 20 years. I workout daily for 50 years.

Not fueling my body w sugar is the change as of 2 years ago that made huge difference
I agree that too much sugar/processed carbs is one of the main reasons we have too many American lives cut short by heart disease and diabetes. I’m fortunate that I‘ve never had a sweet tooth and love eggs, meats, fish, raw nuts, and veggies and IMO my high protein/fat diet is the reason my triglycerides are in that 50-60 mg/dL range and my HDL number is higher than that.

The big change for me at about age 50 since I wasn’t willing to give up my IPA’s, was cutting back on bread and intermittent fasting 5+ days a week. Instead of a sandwich with my favorite bread for lunch now typically eat protein in the form of canned sardines or salmon. I probably average 5 servings a week of canned fish and 3-4 servings of other seafood including lots of pan or deep fried fish and shrimp. Sardines or other canned fish is not a sustainable diet for most but I grew up eating it and love it enough that I’ll bring canned sardines on vacation for my lunch or a snack. Yes, my wife thinks my diet is weird and she doesn’t eat herring, sardines or any other small canned or pickled fish. :) I also now have the time and live in a location with good weather where I can spend at least a few hours a day doing activities I love like walking, strength training and paddle boarding. I got back into cycling a few weeks ago and am averaging 5+ rides each week of 45-75 minutes where I’m burning about 950 calories per hour. When I’m cycling daily it seems I maintain a healthy weight while eating as much steak or fish as I want.

I agree that too much sugar/processed carbs is one of the main reasons we have too many American lives cut short by heart disease and diabetes. I’m fortunate that I‘ve never had a sweet tooth and love eggs, meats, fish, raw nuts, and veggies and IMO my high protein/fat diet is the reason my triglycerides are in that 50-60 mg/dL range and my HDL number is higher than that.

The big change for me at about age 50 since I wasn’t willing to give up my IPA’s, was cutting back on bread and intermittent fasting 5+ days a week. Instead of a sandwich with my favorite bread for lunch now typically eat protein in the form of canned sardines or salmon. I probably average 5 servings a week of canned fish and 3-4 servings of other seafood including lots of pan or deep fried fish and shrimp. Sardines or other canned fish is not a sustainable diet for most but I grew up eating it and love it enough that I’ll bring canned sardines on vacation for my lunch or a snack. Yes, my wife thinks my diet is weird and she doesn’t eat herring, sardines or any other small canned or pickled fish. :) I also now have the time and live in a location with good weather where I can spend at least a few hours a day doing activities I love like walking, strength training and paddle boarding. I got back into cycling a few weeks ago and am averaging 5+ rides each week of 45-75 minutes where I’m burning about 950 calories per hour. When I’m cycling daily it seems I maintain a healthy weight while eating as much steak or fish as I want.

You're doing a great job - keep it up! (y)

Like you, the one thing I don't want to give up is beer. I have pretty much cut out all of the junk that has been previously mentioned, and speed walk 3 miles a day, 5-7 times a week. I also do some light weight training in our basement (especially since I want to increase my swing speed :cool: ). I also just ordered some liquid fish oil (Carson Labs TheVery Finest Fish Oil) to hopefully help lower my triglycerides.

I'm not a huge drinker, but love to enjoy a few light beers several times a week. :drinks:

absolutely love this! You don't sound like a guy starving or sacrificing, no complex theories, and your bloodwork suggests real results.

for what it is worth, after multiple years of a changed behavior, my body seems more tollerent of our suger layden foods when I stay. that includes my IPA when I eat out :)

OP here,

Been about 6 months, and with diet and walking, have managed to take my total cholesterol down to 4.30. For 65 years of age, while not optimal, should keep me off of statins for now. See the Doctor on Friday for a review.

Back