Anyone else getting a winter is coming set up?

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
I’m vowing to improve this winter, just set up a net in the basement. Anyone else have a set up?69D80EBF-3DBD-40F0-ADBA-1CDC12130B43.jpeg

I seriously need to…

A mat big enough to stand on will ovoid much frustration. Where I live my winter set up is a sweat shirt. ;)
Had one way way back when. I may ask my local range if they have any old ones, i could cut out s section and fit that nice new pristine mat in the void!

thanks for the great tip!

I seriously need to…
Not really expensive, more a matter of space. I used to hands a pool table in there, sold it as we slowly downsize looking to sell and move 6-24 months out (sooner I’d anyone wants to give us a ton of cash).

I’ve been using the putting accelerator all season, just remarkable what it’s done for my putting.

Anyone using an indoor set up should make sure they don't have to compensate for ceiling height for full swing practice.
Agree, we have high ceilings, have used the weighted driver and iron things nearly daily. 6157B907-B723-419B-B59E-2A94646787A4.jpeg
I think the driver version is actually longer than most drivers. That said, I’m not planning to swing my 58 degree down there!

Had one way way back when. I may ask my local range if they have any old ones, i could cut out s section and fit that nice new pristine mat in the void!

thanks for the great tip!
Unless you can put something on the bottom of the mat to hold it in place.

Not really expensive, more a matter of space. I used to hands a pool table in there, sold it as we slowly downsize looking to sell and move 6-24 months out (sooner I’d anyone wants to give us a ton of cash).

I’ve been using the putting accelerator all season, just remarkable what it’s done for my putting.
I’ve got good space in the garage, and out in the barn - just need to figure out economical heating.

Anyone using an indoor set up should make sure they don't have to compensate for ceiling height for full swing practice.

Sound advice of course, although a slight compensation might actually help (not without its risks, of course). Im not advocating for it, just offering an example. I say this because a buddy with such a set-up has to swing just a little flatter in order to avoid hitting his ceiling with driver. He practiced indoors religiously throughout 2020 with his Skytrak. The slightly flatter swing began to habitually permeate his swing throughout the bag. He’s always been very big on practice, only 2020 saw him largely move his practice indoors.

Well, he absolutely pounds the ball now. Big jump in distance and accuracy. On the course, his swing only gets away from him when some steepness creeps in. He’ll lose distance and leave more shots out to the right. When he works to correct things, he says that he just imagines swinging in his basement.

Obviously for most, I think it’s safe to say that the risks would likely outweigh the benefit. But not for Matt, it’s revolutionized his game.

As to a winter set-up, I don’t have one. I do have what appears to be that exact net on my basement walk-out patio, though. Outdoors but covered so not exposed to the elements, had it for a year and still going strong. Good net. The plan will be to eventually close off and finish the patio but that’s down the line of planned projects. I already have a projector for the golf-sim slated for that space, so at least that portion of the project is covered.

I can swing freely in the basement but the area’s a dedicated home theater space so no hitting balls. Do have an original Big Moss putting green down there though. Good thing our NC winters are much shorter and less sever than they were in NY!

Our course lets us play year round as long as temp is above 40 at tee time.

Putting and chipping only in the basement. That’s the extent of my winter set up. A Putt Out Putting Mat and a small chipping net.

What makes you think winter is coming? It's 80 degrees in Michigan in mid October.

I was shopping for a pair of shorts yesterday.

Same as summer for me, I’ll hit balls in the garage. Only I’ll be much less sweaty and likely have a shirt on.

I was shopping for a pair of shorts yesterday.
They need a FU Emoji!

It’s nice here….now, but come mid nov, it’s gonna be dark, wet, cold, windy, just not fun.

Same as summer for me, I’ll hit balls in the garage. Only I’ll be much less sweaty and likely have a shirt on.
I had a great set up in the garage for my daughter, who was on the HS golf team for four years. I’m so annoyed that i sold it. Full size mat that held real tees-meaning not rock hard, full net return with side nets and sand bags.

What a stupid i am.

I had a great set up in the garage for my daughter, who was on the HS golf team for four years. I’m so annoyed that i sold it. Full size mat that held real tees-meaning not rock hard, full net return with side nets and sand bags.

What a stupid i am.
Time to build back bigger and better!!!

setup looks great. Don't forget indoor fitness work. Lots we can do indoors to improve flexibility and core strenght. I typically putt between sets of core work

setup looks great. Don't forget indoor fitness work. Lots we can do indoors to improve flexibility and core strenght. I typically putt between sets of core work
I have a pretty good gym that i use 3-5 days a week just down the hall from the net, under maybe 10-12 steps! Treadmill, dumbbells, stairmaster, Bowflex for upper body and legs. And a free weight stomach i neck machine, wife has two pilati devices. And i finish up on the inversion table.

sorry, tmi, right?

They need a FU Emoji!

It’s nice here….now, but come mid nov, it’s gonna be dark, wet, cold, windy, just not fun.

Well, it's Texas, so I'm ready for our grid to go out in February. Until February, it might be warm, might be a little rain, cold snaps are usually temporary. February it gets in the high 30's and we can still play.

Time to build back bigger and better!!!
Nope, I’m downsizing for an anticipated move to Charleston sooner than later, always hoping this is my last winter in Virginia.

Nope, I’m downsizing for an anticipated move to Charleston sooner than later, always hoping this is my last winter in Virginia.
Now that’s a winter setup I can get behind!

Well, it's Texas, so I'm ready for our grid to go out in February. Until February, it might be warm, might be a little rain, cold snaps are usually temporary. February it gets in the high 30's and we can still play.
30s wow! I guess i knew that but assumed it might be a day here or there not multiple days/weeks. For me, if a long sleeve shirt, 1/4 zip and mid weight jacket don’t keep me warm enough, I’ll be in the basement!

Back