Anyone ever align a putter grip "opened" or "closed"?

billybob19606

Reaction score
Handicap
I did this once several years ago, and then the "Ho" in me sold the putter for something else.

Well for years now I'd miss left with any and all heel shafted putters (yet my miss is a consistent "push right" with a center-shafted Seemore mFGP). I was thinking back to when I was fitting myself into my shotgun (I trapshoot also)...close eyes and then open them and see that your head is looking down the barrel perfectly

So I gripped putter with eyes closed and then reopened...it was a lil closed. THAT'S how it fit naturally in my hands. I repeated process a few times to make sure... every time was slightly closed.

So I threw a new SuperStroke on my BB32 with it a few degrees aligned left (so the putterface is opened when grip is neutral), and I havent rolled a ball consistently as straight as that since I sold my last putter with a "closed" grip (4yrs ago)...

Only time will tell if this is a fluke or not.

I did this once several years ago, and then the "Ho" in me sold the putter for something else.

Well for years now I'd miss left with any and all heel shafted putters (yet my miss is a consistent "push right" with a center-shafted Seemore mFGP). I was thinking back to when I was fitting myself into my shotgun (I trapshoot also)...close eyes and then open them and see that your head is looking down the barrel perfectly

So I gripped putter with eyes closed and then reopened...it was a lil closed. THAT'S how it fit naturally in my hands. I repeated process a few times to make sure... every time was slightly closed.

So I threw a new SuperStroke on my BB32 with it a few degrees aligned left (so the putterface is opened when grip is neutral), and I havent rolled a ball consistently as straight as that since I sold my last putter with a "closed" grip (4yrs ago)...

Only time will tell if this is a fluke or not.

If it works, it works. Hope it works for you.

On my SC Newport 2 I would struggle with keeping the face open and pushing putts. So I set the grip up that would only make the face square if I had a forward press before my takeaway

I will literally spend hours if necessary to make sure my grip is square. Anal to the max!

There are reasons to do this. The natural tendency is to use the flat side of the grip to control the putter. The problem with this is that the overwhelming majority of people have a bias in their stroke either to the right or left. By putting the grip on open or closed, it will enable you to have the clubface correct at impact. Another alternative would be to use a round grip.

I would find a different putter before I ever tried something like that.

Back