Anyone successfully remove superstroke grips to re-use?

jbb2388

Choose wisely
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a hardly used SS Pistol 2.0 on an older Ping putter that I would love to transfer to my new Odyssey rather than spending another $30 on a new one. I don't have a problem removing regular grips to re-use but haven't done a putter grip yet. Anyone done this and can share techniques?

I've done them multiple times with one of these and lot's of mineral spirits. It's a little tough to get started, but very doable.

1689000137360.png

A good needle, hand against the butt to hold pressure, a rag tied around the low end, and some patience and understanding.

You can save and re-use them, but without the right setup it's usually a bit of a nightmare for most. Most people that use one of the long tools end up with a mess and a mangled grip. Like I said, patience and understanding.

I have a hardly used SS Pistol 2.0 on an older Ping putter that I would love to transfer to my new Odyssey rather than spending another $30 on a new one. I don't have a problem removing regular grips to re-use but haven't done a putter grip yet. Anyone done this and can share techniques?

I've used this one (or something similar) with great success. A little mineral spirits will help and you can get it off without any issues and pull away any residual grip tape.

The GolfWorks V-Groove Grip Removers - The GolfWorks

I don't have the tools but I always try before cutting off. One of the shops I go to has air and the guy is pretty good at it. Another shop (pgass) they can never get it for some reason.

V-groove tool, generous amounts of grip solvent, and patients

A good needle, hand against the butt to hold pressure, a rag tied around the low end, and some patience and understanding.
Thanks guys. I have the golfsmith tool which is what I use for regular grips and was going to use it to try the SS. Curious what you mean by "good needle"? Air compressor needle?

I use my air compressor to do it. Needle nozzle on the bottom of the grip, blast air up the shaft, off it comes.

Thanks guys. I have the golfsmith tool which is what I use for regular grips and was going to use it to try the SS. Curious what you mean by "good needle"? Air compressor needle?
Screenshot_20230710_102227_Chrome.jpg

No I meant the solvent route. ^ Just one that doesn't require all the elbow grease, time, and stretching of the grip.

I've also used the v grip remover tool mentioned here, with good success. Patience is the key, but it's very possible to do.

When I'm testing putting grips out and know I'll be switching them around, I also use painters tape and air, it's a million times easier to get off that way. Once I feel like it's going to be permanent, I'll usually use grip tape and solvent.

So had some spare time last night to give this a go. Patience and plenty of grip solvent but man what a mess it ended up being. Got the grip off just fine with no damage at all but almost all of the grip tape ended up coming off the shaft and ended up stuck inside the grip. Took forever to get it all out. Next time will just spend the $30 and get a new grip.

Also found out that these 2.0 SS grips are significantly lighter than the stock Odyssey grips. Like 60% lighter. Moved the swingweight from D4 to D9. Interested to see how different this will feel on the greens.

View attachment 9191750

No I meant the solvent route. ^ Just one that doesn't require all the elbow grease, time, and stretching of the grip.

The shop that does my grips uses something like this to remove them if needed. He makes it look really easy to do.

I have successfully removed numerous SS putter grips. V groove tool dipped in solvent several times along the way, solvent squirted into the hole in the butt end of the grip and shoot some air in there to distribute it, and a lot of elbow grease.

Glad to hear that you got it off @jbb2388! Takes some patience eh?

I've removed them using plenty of solvent and a bent coat hanger. Definitely not elegant, but it worked in a pinch.

Glad to hear that you got it off @jbb2388! Takes some patience eh?

I've removed them using plenty of solvent and a bent coat hanger. Definitely not elegant, but it worked in a pinch.
Yeah, getting it off ended up being the easy part o_O

So had some spare time last night to give this a go. Patience and plenty of grip solvent but man what a mess it ended up being. Got the grip off just fine with no damage at all but almost all of the grip tape ended up coming off the shaft and ended up stuck inside the grip. Took forever to get it all out. Next time will just spend the $30 and get a new grip.

Also found out that these 2.0 SS grips are significantly lighter than the stock Odyssey grips. Like 60% lighter. Moved the swingweight from D4 to D9. Interested to see how different this will feel on the greens.
Dont give up so easily... When I do it, I focus on one of the grip and twist it. Takes about 10 min and not a big mess at all. I think it just takes time to find the right technique.

Dont give up so easily... When I do it, I focus on one of the grip and twist it. Takes about 10 min and not a big mess at all. I think it just takes time to find the right technique.
Oh I didn't give up. Its already installed on my new putter but I may take the easy road next time and avoid having to fish bits and pieces of tape out of the old grip :LOL:

I have removed SS putter grips with compressed air, but it is hit or miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The v-grip remover works decent
Alternatively, I have also gotten them off successfully with a lot of solvent and a compressor. Blow them right off.

The worst though? Bought a Scotty once with a 5.0 grip on it. Had to cut that sucker straight through the middle to get it off! Straight to the trash!

Skip the tape/solvent next time you install one

I really want that grip removal tool, but I don't do enough (yet) to justify spending that money. But I recently did remove a SS3.0 doing the same thing with a coat hanger and air compressor. Probably took a little more elbow grease than normal, but just took my time and it slid right off.

Last edited:
They're a PITA to get off. But it can be done.
I found that you can re-use the SS grips maybe 2x before the inner last separates and they become impossible to get on straight again.

Back