Apex vs. Apex Pros... Similarities and Differences

GolfDuck

Reaction score
I am in the process of searching for a set of Callaway Apex 19 irons with Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shafts. They are difficult to find, and I have thought about considering and have been offered an Apex 19 Combo set (4-7 are Apex 19s and 8-AW are Apex Pro 19s) with that shaft. I have hit the Apex 19s and am very comfortable in getting these, but I have not had the chance to hit the Apex Pro, so I am very hesitant. My main question is for those who have hit both or have a combo set, what are the similarities and differences? How much harder are the Pros to hit? Is the technology in each similar enough so they go similar and consistent distances and ball flights? Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!

I played the 2016 pros and probably shouldn't have. Don't get me wrong they were great, I just couldve benefited from the extra forvgivenes of the standard in the long irons.

I think the combo set is a great option for most people, especially people above say a 8 or 10hcp

I was considering the combo set as well. Not in the shafts you want (s400 for me).

I loved the feel of the apex 19, so much so it literally brought a smile to my face the first shot I hit with them. My fitter then put the pros in my hand. I didnt like the feel as much even when hitting it flush.

For reference im a sub 10 handicapper (7.6 right now) and have been playing speedblades for the last 7 or so years.

I ended up purchasing the apex with my specifications, even though it said 3-4 weeks for delivery.

Don't know if that helps, but just my personal expirence.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The pros will be about half a club shorter, consistently, but pretty long and forgiving compared to some of their pro profile peers. They have a lot of the same tech as the CF19s, but a smaller sole and top line, etc. They'll be a little less forgiving, because they're smaller, but if you're unsure about something that size, they're the ones you'd want to try imo. Least drastic change with them than any similar combo I've tried.

I played the 2016 pros and probably shouldn't have. Don't get me wrong they were great, I just couldve benefited from the extra forvgivenes of the standard in the long irons.

I think the combo set is a great option for most people, especially people above say a 8 or 10hcp
Thank you greekelite!

I was considering the combo set as well. Not in the shafts you want (s400 for me).

I loved the feel of the apex 19, so much so it literally brought a smile to my face the first shot I hit with them. My fitter then put the pros in my hand. I didnt like the feel as much even when hitting it flush.

For reference im a sub 10 handicapper (7.6 right now) and have been playing speedblades for the last 7 or so years.

I ended up purchasing the apex with my specifications, even though it said 3-4 weeks for delivery.

Don't know if that helps, but just my personal expirence.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thank you pkellz25! Your experience so far seems similar to mine. I too really like hitting with the regular Apex 19s since the first shot I hit with one. With that in mind I think unless and until I get to try the Pros to judge how they feel to me I think I will stay on track and take my time looking for a complete set of the regular 19s with the Nippon shaft I also really like! .

The pros will be about half a club shorter, consistently, but pretty long and forgiving compared to some of their pro profile peers. They have a lot of the same tech as the CF19s, but a smaller sole and top line, etc. They'll be a little less forgiving, because they're smaller, but if you're unsure about something that size, they're the ones you'd want to try imo. Least drastic change with them than any similar combo I've tried.
Thank you OldandStiff! You confirm my thinking that I really need to hit with the Pros if I am going to seriously consider getting a combo set. I really like the regular 19s, and am not sure if I want to give up any more forgiveness and head size.

for me, there was a significant drop off in forgiveness with the pro. mishits were much shorter than similar mishits with the cf19.

Back