gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone watching this so far? I got the year free for getting a new iPhone. Watching See right now. I'm really enjoying The Morning Show. I'm still trying to figure out if I like For All Mankind. The M. Night Shyamalan show Servant looks like it might be good.

Anyone watching this so far? I got the year free for getting a new iPhone. Watching See right now. I'm really enjoying The Morning Show. I'm still trying to figure out if I like For All Mankind. The M. Night Shyamalan show Servant looks like it might be good.
I have the same trial. I watched the first episode of see tonight. Looks interesting so far. I think I’ll have to look around on it this year to figure out if it’s worth keeping.

I haven’t checked it out yet. So many options now but since it’s free for a year I’ll watch it.

I watched the first three episodes of Morning show and part of for all mankind. Apple is going to be hard pressed to get my money for it, but I will say the quality of what I've seen has been pretty good.

I watched the first three episodes of Morning show and part of for all mankind. Apple is going to be hard pressed to get my money for it, but I will say the quality of what I've seen has been pretty good.

It would not surprise me if they keep finding ways to give it away “free” with the purchase of hardware.

I’ve only watched 3 episodes of See so far but I enjoyed it. We have it free for a year and I’m guessing as the service evolves and adds shows we would likely keep it for $5 a month. We don’t have any cable or streaming live tv at our condo or cabin so we rely on Netflix, Hulu, and Apple TV+ for our shows.

I haven't been all that impressed with See. It's is kind of a ridiculous show, but the production values are fantastic.

But weirdly, Dickinson is WAY better than I thought it was going to be. I'm wondering if it's more expectation setting than anything, but it's a really clever show.

We got it set up yesterday since I got it free for the year. I understand the reviews now. Less than 1 shows. No third party programming. No library. And they are already giving away the first couple of episodes to everybody.

They priced it where it is for a reason, but there is about a week of consumable paid media here, so either more have to come quickly or something has to give.

it’s a long term play for them, but they need a library.

After exploring Disney+ and exploring Apple+ there is absolutely no way I’m paying for it. I’m not sure where Apple plans on going with it.

After exploring Disney+ and exploring Apple+ there is absolutely no way I’m paying for it. I’m not sure where Apple plans on going with it.
Agreed, they will need to ramp up content quick and in a hurry or they will be buried by Disney and the other streaming services. I get the feeling that someone will put together a service that combines them (another cable provider type) and we'll start all over again. I personally wish I could put together an a la carte channel group and just have what I watch but I'm not sure that will ever happen or be cheap enough to pull off.

Agreed, they will need to ramp up content quick and in a hurry or they will be buried by Disney and the other streaming services. I get the feeling that someone will put together a service that combines them (another cable provider type) and we'll start all over again. I personally wish I could put together an a la carte channel group and just have what I watch but I'm not sure that will ever happen or be cheap enough to pull off.

This is why everybody with a new Apple device gets it free for a year and they are giving content away for those that dont for a few episodes. Try anything to get people sucked in so they have to renew. The series have been panned by most critics, although I dont think they are as bad as some have said. There just isn't any. Nothing worth a monthly fee anyway. They need a library of some sort, or a sport of some sort to keep this going and after the head of programming resigned two weeks after launch, you have to think they know something drastic needs to happen.

We have gone full circle -
"I don't want to pay for the content I don't use."​
to​
"I hate all these different apps. I wish there was a service that combines them all."​
Like you said - another cable provider type.

I find it rather funny. My biggest reason for not cutting the cord was that I don't like going to so many different sources to watch the same content I had conveniently on one service. I found that once you add all the a la carte options, you are not saving all that much (unless you are stealing content but that is a whole other discussion).

I have been using Tivo for years and it does an awesome job combing all sources of streaming with the cable. For instance, when my kids watch Miraculous Ladybug, the menu shows the options recorded on the Tivo, live options on the cable and streaming options on Netflix - they can select any one of them as if it's all the same source.

I have been using Tivo for years and it does an awesome job combing all sources of streaming with the cable. For instance, when my kids watch Miraculous Ladybug, the menu shows the options recorded on the Tivo, live options on the cable and streaming options on Netflix - they can select any one of them as if it's all the same source.

We are also TIVO users and have been for years. Using boxes from cable company was of no interest to me when this exists.
I was hopeful that Apple TV and + would get to where that is, sadly its no where near the content provider or collator that exists elsewhere yet.

This is why everybody with a new Apple device gets it free for a year and they are giving content away for those that dont for a few episodes. Try anything to get people sucked in so they have to renew. The series have been panned by most critics, although I dont think they are as bad as some have said. There just isn't any. Nothing worth a monthly fee anyway. They need a library of some sort, or a sport of some sort to keep this going and after the head of programming resigned two weeks after launch, you have to think they know something drastic needs to happen.
In my case, I was so underwhelmed with the content that I opened up the app, saw what was available and will probably never open the app again despite having it included for the next 12 months. Disney, in contrast is so rich with content that I find myself just browsing out of amazement how much is there.

Apple+ reminds me of the Homepod. It's voice integration was so underwhelming compared to Alexa, google and even samsung that it was hard to accept the price compared to the competition. Apple+ is so far behind the competition that it will just be dismissed and forgotten about except for the most hardcore of Apple users.

We are also TIVO users and have been for years. Using boxes from cable company was of no interest to me when this exists.
I was hopeful that Apple TV and + would get to where that is, sadly its no where near the content provider or collator that exists elsewhere yet.

Tivo is really missing the mark and should be in the home of everyone that has cable. It's such a better DVR and the monthly savings over not having to rent equipment is astronomical.

We moved to a Roamio in January 2015 and spend $800 for a Roamio, 3 Tivo Minis and a 3 TB Hard drive and $400 for the lifetime subscription. At the time, we paid $40/month renting the charter DVR and additional boxes - it paid for itself in about 2.5 years. I know what scares a lot of people is the initial up front cost. It's too bad Tivo has not found a way to market it the same way as the "Free" premium phones offered by phone companies where the cost of the phone is actually spread over 24 to 30 months.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Back