Are Range Finders Worth It?

I like knowing the number as it gives me a little more confidence. I've played before with a GPS or when I've forgotten my rangefinder or it's dead. I've found that it's harder for me to commit to a shot. I can know that it's 155-160 but can't be sure if I want to hit a hard PW or easy 9i. Or is it actually 163 and a full 9i would be the club or 153 and it's pinseeking time with my PW. Knowing this just gives helps to take out a little of the doubt for me.

While you may not be to this point it can be a great tool for learning your yardages. If you shoot the pin at 132 and hit a good shot that lands 3 yards long and rolls out another 3 yards you will know that you carried it 135 and it ended up at 138. You now have an idea that you can hit x club around 135 on a good strike. The next few times you hit that one you might be 128, 132, 130, and 129. This will help you know that maybe it's more of a 130 club vs. 135 but that's the little bit of data that will help you to learn those yardages for each club. That may change over time as you start to improve and you may find that over time you gain some distance as you start to strike the ball better.

one app you may find helpful both in the "range" as Canadan wisely suggested and learning your yardages as Raiderboost mentions is an app such as..well, personally I use Golfpad. 20 bucks a year, gives me my club distances, gives me my strokes gained so I can identify the weak points in my game and functions as the GPS. Might be the answer for you as the next step.

Note that many people will recommend other apps such as 18 Birdies and I would recommend trying that one and a couple others before settling...not everyone likes the same looks and features.

I would be a range finder or gps. Knowing the distance just makes a very hard game a little easier. I have a range finder and Arccos. I use both during a round

I like my GPS unit and for play would not consider a range finder. it would slow me down and I see it slowing down the guys I play with using one vs. those with GPS. in practical terms, I tell them the distance and what seems like 3 minutes later the range finder confirms :)

Where I'd like a rangefinder is actually on the range. They are always moving the practice areas and it is very difficult to get a real sense of how far I'm hitting it even if the balls are decent.

I like my GPS unit and for play would not consider a range finder. it would slow me down and I see it slowing down the guys I play with using one vs. those with GPS. in practical terms, I tell them the distance and what seems like 3 minutes later the range finder confirms :)
Mmm. Shooting a target takes all of 2 seconds--4-5 seconds if you do it twice. Most of the time I'm shooting the target while waiting for the group ahead in which case the pace of play isn't even affected by that 2-5 seconds. VERY occasionally the group ahead may have pulled the flag before I get a chance to shoot it. In those cases, I'll shoot a player in the group ahead as they reach into the cup to pull their ball. That's my experience.

Now I'm sure you've seen players goof around or wait in their carts until the group ahead clears and ONLY THEN do they get out of their cart, grab the rangefinder, shoot the target then walk back to put down the rangefinder and grab a club. That's not the fault of the rangefinder. That's just a slow player playing slow.

High handicappers still have to choose the right club for the distance, and it's still beneficial to know the yardages to things you want to hit or avoid (bunkers, water, doglegs, etc.).

I have both a GPS watch and a rangefinder, I use them both and find both of them beneficial. I'm nowhere near a good enough golfer that it makes a difference whether it's 143 or 146 yards, but I do need to know it's in the 140-something range and I can then consider other factors in making my club choice.

Another great use for them that doesn't get stated often enough is shooting the group ahead of you to confirm whether it's safe to hit or not.
To add, it will be helpful to find out how far you ACTUALLY hit your clubs. When you pull that 8i over and over again while shooting at a pin that reads 150 and you keep coming up short, guess what? You don't hit your 8i 150 yards. ;)

To add, it will be helpful to find out how far you ACTUALLY hit your clubs. When you pull that 8i over and over again while shooting at a pin that reads 150 and you keep coming up short, guess what? You don't hit your 8i 150 yards. ;)
You're right, that's one advantage to eyeballing distances. You can always pull 8i from 150, come up 15 yards short and say, "Damn, that was 165. Coulda swore it was 150. I need to get my eyes checked". Better to be going blind than to hit 8i only 135 yards, right?

Good point, it's useful data. (y)

When I started out I used golfpad gps... Amazing app that allows for shot and distances. I think Grint does it as well as 18 birdies. I think gps will be a bit better than rangefinder especially when you start identifying f/b/m vs 131.7 yards.

If you do get one I'd go for a nice one from the start. Once you get one they don't change a lot IMHO so I have had Precision Pro for a while.

I use Arccos for he most part, especially when I'm hitting out of trouble and trying to find a distance back to the fairway over some blind hill or other obstacle. That said inside of 150 when i can see the flag I use my rangefinder to verify flag distance as the GPS can get out of sync and give you numbers that are sub optimal. The other thing is i have been to multiple courses where my phone GPS is wonky or i have terrible cel service and the rangefinder saves my bacon. Ideally I think the best setup is a little bit of both a gps and laser rangefinder.

Simple answer - Yes...
long answer - Still yes..

Just get one..
This is correct just get a ShotScope range finder.

The next correct thing is knowing your club yardages.
Then get a ShotScope V3 or V5
Learn your club yardage.

So many people think they play farther than they really do.
If you think you’re always driving it 250, as a high cap you’re not.
Probably closer to 200.
5i, 6i and 7i probably the same yardage.
7 iron probably 145
PW 100
If you’re carrying a 3 or 4i might laugh out loud.
This is the high hdcp reality.

I haven’t used my range finder since buying a ShotScope watch. The only thing I use the range finder for is now seeing if it’s safe to hit when there is a group in front of us. The watch does so much more than providing the distances as well so that’s a nice bonus.

Just get something that does F/M/B yardages. And maybe hazards. Most beginners / Hi HCPs would be better playing for middle of green rather than pin location anyway.

I’d say a GPS is of more value. You need the middle and back yardage. Having a range finder gives you distance to the flag or whenever you shoot it. That’s not the level you’re at right now.

Back