Are You A Talker On the Course?

I usually keep it pretty casual unless with buddies then it's a little more jabbing and trash talking.

This guy told me on the third hole I couldn’t wait to let you know I out drove you. My response…but I’m playing from the tips and used a 3w. What the hell!!!
I made a few comments about my 81 year old playing partner out driving me the other day - even though he was playing from a set of tees forward. He was struggling to have a good time, and I wanted to remind him that a good shot is a good shot.

I'd have only said something like that to you if you had been crushing it past me all day, and I finally poked one past you (regardless of tee position or club) :ROFLMAO: The third hole is probably too early for that ;)

Yes I like to chat most times
But some days I will get off work early to play Get on as a single and paired up with some one will ask me what I do for living
I cringe as I don’t want to think about work I’m out on the course to get away from work and talking about my job can stress me out and can’t enjoy golf
Anyone else get this feeling?

I am not a chit chatter. Small talk is not my jam. I am polite when people talk to me on the course but I usually don't initiate long conversations. 🤷‍♂️

When with people I dont know, no I am not a talker. I'll have causal talk to be polite, but will only open up if there is a topic like sports teams or work that we have in common. But I'll stay away from any sort of talk about my game or their play.

Golf is a social game for me, so I’m a talker, yes, I like fun. I can read a group though.
I'm with you on this one.
I like conversation, never know who you are paired with unless you converse.

Hell no. Just occasional chit chat

If we're talking casual conversation, I'm game.

As far as **** talking, only with those I know and my motives are a little more selfish. If I'm playing with @mtbloco, @Doubleb21, or @oumagic I'll talk sh!t because I know that they'll serve it back. Now, the reason that it's selfish is that I NEED them to talk **** to me when I totally blow a shot. I need the laugh. The levity, if you will. @oumagic is one of the quickest witted, funniest guys I know so his quips are pretty freaking good. @triplefrak is a bit of a tw*t, though. :cool:

Like @Jman, I can also read the room.......

LOL i only really like saying where your ball is going like NOT in the cup or it is over in the desert :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::cool:

Always good times having fun.

If Im with randoms Im pretty quiet.
With my buddies I talk alot, but not to talk trash.
My game isnt consistentenoughh to talk trash. If I say anything on the golf course you can be assured the golf gods will take revenge in seconds.

I like to say random things and do so quietly right next to them. Such as.

Did you bring the bread to make sandwiches?
Like "Laying up to a number I see" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can be either depending on whom I am paired with. If someone is reserved, but friendly, I will keep it to "Nice shot." if they are talkers, I can match your dry sense of humor and one liners. Hopefully not to the point of being annoying...

If we're talking casual conversation, I'm game.

As far as **** talking, only with those I know and my motives are a little more selfish. If I'm playing with @mtbloco, @Doubleb21, or @oumagic I'll talk sh!t because I know that they'll serve it back. Now, the reason that it's selfish is that I NEED them to talk **** to me when I totally blow a shot. I need the laugh. The levity, if you will. @oumagic is one of the quickest witted, funniest guys I know so his quips are pretty freaking good. @triplefrak is a bit of a tw*t, though. :cool:

Like @Jman, I can also read the room.......
How much more 💩 do I need to talk to get on this list? :unsure:

I try to be friendly and listen to others. One thing that bugs me is a guy who never stops talking. Sometimes they talk while you are playing a shot.

It depends on my mood and how well I'm playing.

If I'm having fun, the group is having fun, then.... yeah, sure, a little chit chat and playful banter is okay. But nothing over the edge and borderline nasty.
If I'm having an off-day and my game sucks, then I am quiet as a church mouse, and trying to focus on correcting whatever went wrong.

Always depends on group for me. Otherwise I'm pretty quiet.

Yesterday I was paired with a group of two golfers. One younger and one older and they obviously knew one another. The older guy was a talker on every single shot?

Are you a talker when paired with randoms or do keep talk casual?

What runs through your mind if paired with a talker?
I used to not be a talker but Ive kind of grown into one as Ive gotten older. I kind of try to be personable on the 1st tee and when introducing myself to randoms and I just kind of gauge where theyre at. If they kind of ignore me or blow me off, I let it go and realize that they just want to be left alone. More often than not, it seems like most people are friendly and just want to have fun and enjoy it when I crack some jokes, talk to them about what the do for a living, etc and keep it light.
A few weeks ago I played with the 3 people in their 20s. One was a guy and girl who were dating and the other was the girl's friend. The girl keep starting at me like she knew me or something and finally after a few holes she said to me, "I know you." I kind of thought, "yeah, whatever. Im 43 and youre like 20, I doubt you know me." So, she ran down the list of where she thought she knew me from and finally she asked me if I go to this restaurant where she used to work. Sure enough, its like a half mile from my house and I go there like all the time. Had I not been a talker, we probably would have never made that connection and it sparked a fun conversation for most of the rest of the round.

If I'm paired with random strangers I'm not as much a talker. I might start talking a little more as I get to know them. With my usual playing partners I do talk more. When things are going good I talk more. When things are going bad I talk less.

Yesterday I was paired with a group of two golfers. One younger and one older and they obviously knew one another. The older guy was a talker on every single shot?

Are you a talker when paired with randoms or do keep talk casual?

What runs through your mind if paired with a talker?
Generally keep it casual, don't mind talking or catching up, but when I'm focused on a shot, leave me be!

I try to be friendly and listen to others. One thing that bugs me is a guy who never stops talking. Sometimes they talk while you are playing a shot.
One of my buddies occasionally brings a friend out to play with us. Dude starts talking when his car door opens in the parking lot, and he doesn't stop talking until his door slams as he's leaving. Nonstop the whole round, in his big boy voice. He'll pause a story long enough to swing his club sometimes, but that's about it - he'll even talk during his own swing sometimes. I'm pretty talkative, but this guy makes me look like the silent type. He's a really nice guy and doesn't mean any harm, but I want to stuff a sock in his mouth by the third or fourth hole.

I like to be social while playing. I like to talk to everyone. I also will absolutely throw a little trash talk in but always in a playful manor with no ill intent. If the vibes are off I won't do it but if I get a good report with the person I will definitely take a little jab to lighten up the mood after a bad shot.
Even if you don’t know the people you are playing with?

Even if you don’t know the people you are playing with?
No absolutely not. I need to feel comfortable the person can take it and will find it funny as well. If we're talking and joking around for the first couple hours then yeah but not right away. That's just an a hole.

No absolutely not. I need to feel comfortable the person can take it and will find it funny as well. If we're talking and joking around for the first couple hours then yeah but not right away. That's just an a hole.
See that is a different story. I was surprised by some of the comments by the gentleman, um feller playing with me. Then again I was in Florida Man territory. 😂

Not really a lot of trash-talking. I don't really have a "golf group." I have groups of people I sometimes play golf with, so we're more likely to talk about the other thing (church, rugby, music) that we do together while we're on the course. But yes, when I'm not grouped up with strangers, I do talk a decent amount.

It's definitely something where I'll read the room. We throw it back and forth pretty freely amongst my regular guys, but with others I'm not taking part unless it's absolutely clear that we're all good with it and it's all in fun. If a rando was paired into our group and started doing it out of nowhere he wouldn't be well received, so I'm not going to be that guy with others either.

Back