Are you ever unsatisfied with a good round?

Always..... that 3' putt for par that you lip out.... missing the green from 100yds from the middle of the fairway.... always something to improve on for the next lower score

My three best rounds of the year all could have easily been my three best scores ever but I started thinking about it and choked like a dog each time. Wasn’t pleased walking off from any of them.

Smiter;n8892793 said:
Yeah there�s always shots left out there that make you think �of only I had....�

Thsts one of the best things about golf though, it can never be mastered. The only way to master it would be to hit every FW, every GIR, and one putt every hole. No one will ever do that.
Even if you did that, you'd wonder about the time you almost holed out from the fairway....

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

CM5150;n8892842 said:
My three best rounds of the year all could have easily been my three best scores ever but I started thinking about it and choked like a dog each time. Wasn’t pleased walking off from any of them.

About this time last year I stepped on the course as a 5.2 HC just looking to play a quick nine before work.

I was on fire, I made every single putt less than 20ft. This shortish course was mine for the taking. Shot a 30 for 9, those that have played with me recently would laugh at the thought, but 6 birdies and 3 pars on a regulation course equals -6.

I had had to ask at the turn what the course record was, -8, 64. I even had a credible witness, a fella that was playing like I normally do.

My stellar play continue but at not quite the same torrid pace, but I arrive on 18 -9. For some reason that still haunts me, I took driver out on this severely uphill 365 yard par 4. I hadn’t really been off with it but it was a spray and pray round where everything broke my way.

I hadnt hit a shot that that would be OB yet though so I’m thinking -10 on the tee. I severely block the first tee shot. Dangit. Well OB right. Now I have to hit driver to have any chance of tying the course record. My next tee shot I think is going OB and I actually even hit a provisional. I find the 2nd 6” from being OOB and there is a limb hanging 6” above me.

So my course record attenpt was a 9 birdie, 8 par, and one triple affair. If I hit 8i off that tee i par it 90% of the time the way I was playing that day. I remember being in that tee thinking “let’s get to -10 and own this forever”.

I am now the proud course record holder on exactly zero courses. None. That was my chance. I occasionally channel my 20 year ago + HC golfer. Very occasionally. Then I’ll have rounds that I can’t get off the f’in tee.

I still bested my personal best ever round that day. It was in all honesty a great round for me but should have been in the 75 range. I just could NOT miss with my putter. And that’s a great feeling, standing on a course you know well, just knowing that the putt is falling from 18’. That’s the only 18 of my life that I’ve played that way. I’ve had a couple great nines before, but never the full 18 (or 17 in this case).

My HC has skyrocketed since then due to circumstances beyond my control and I just hope to be mid 80’s now. I don’t think there’s any way I’ll ever have that type of round again, but man was it fun for 17 holes!

Smiter;n8893038 said:
About this time last year I stepped on the course as a 5.2 HC just looking to play a quick nine before work.

I was on fire, I made every single putt less than 20ft. This shortish course was mine for the taking. Shot a 30 for 9, those that have played with me recently would laugh at the thought, but 6 birdies and 3 pars on a regulation course equals -6.

I had had to ask at the turn what the course record was, -8, 64. I even had a credible witness, a fella that was playing like I normally do.

My stellar play continue but at not quite the same torrid pace, but I arrive on 18 -9. For some reason that still haunts me, I took driver out on this severely uphill 365 yard par 4. I hadn’t really been off with it but it was a spray and pray round where everything broke my way.

I hadnt hit a shot that that would be OB yet though so I’m thinking -10 on the tee. I severely block the first tee shot. Dangit. Well OB right. Now I have to hit driver to have any chance of tying the course record. My next tee shot I think is going OB and I actually even hit a provisional. I find the 2nd 6” from being OOB and there is a limb hanging 6” above me.

So my course record attenpt was a 9 birdie, 8 par, and one triple affair. If I hit 8i off that tee i par it 90% of the time the way I was playing that day. I remember being in that tee thinking “let’s get to -10 and own this forever”.

I am now the proud course record holder on exactly zero courses. None. That was my chance. I occasionally channel my 20 year ago + HC golfer. Very occasionally. Then I’ll have rounds that I can’t get off the f’in tee.

I still bested my personal best ever round that day. It was in all honesty a great round for me but should have been in the 75 range. I just could NOT miss with my putter. And that’s a great feeling, standing on a course you know well, just knowing that the putt is falling from 18’. That’s the only 18 of my life that I’ve played that way. I’ve had a couple great nines before, but never the full 18 (or 17 in this case).

My HC has skyrocketed since then due to circumstances beyond my control and I just hope to be mid 80’s now. I don’t think there’s any way I’ll ever have that type of round again, but man was it fun for 17 holes!

Reading this hurt, like a lot.

Not for long, but yeah. 90's bother me! I shot one a few years back with some friends, I knew I'd been playing very well and purposely did not look at the score card. Had a long uphill putt on 18 that I wimp tapped the first try. FOUR putted for a 90!!! Wanted to bite the head off a bat...

I have had decent rounds where the strongest part of my game (short game) has left a few strokes out there and it has gotten to me. Mainly because of the "what could have been" factor. At the end of the day though, a good score is a good score. No room for pictures on a scorecard.

Yeah, my goal in league last week was to shoot under 40. I missed a 5 foot putt for par on the last hole and shot... 40. So, good round, but walked off with a bad taste in my mouth.

Yep, all the time. Shot 75 yesterday which does not disappoint me in the least. But the fact that I missed 5 or 6 putts in the 6 - 10 foot range for birdie leaves me knowing the round could have been so much better if I could have dropped some putts.

I think that theres always shots that you remember from a round where it was a missed opportunity. As long as you appreciate and feel encouraged by the good shots, instead of beating yourself up about not being perfect, its not a bad thing.
Once you become satisfied, thats the end of your journey towards better golf.

I'm usually happy with a good round, I mean that used to be the biggest reason why I'd head out. But in the big picture, a good round can be unsatisfying because I know it isn't normal. It's not an indication that I've turned a corner with my game. Occasionally breaking 90 on a short course is hardly something to feel great about. The fact that it happens so infrequently is almost depressing.

I have to figure out why I love this game so much and focus on that. It certainly isn't because of an abundance of good rounds.

Yes. This happens often. Lately I have been playing terrible but scoring pretty well. What I mean is often times I will hit a bad tee shot and still save a par or bogey. I am having a very difficult time hitting the green from 140 yards in, if my short game is on I can still save my par or get a bogey. My last round in League I sliced or pushed 7 out of 9 T shots. Out of the two that weren't sliced one was a short Par 3 where I hit the green and the other was a long par 5 and I almost miss my T shot and hit it about 70 yards. The one I duffed 70 yards I somehow salvaged a bogey!

Back