Arizona THP Golf League

A note about Victory at Verrado. I see we are voting for tee boxes between silver and white. 600 yd difference with nearly 200 coming from 14,15, and 18.

Most silver and white tees are on the same boxes. The big differences are

1 - Adds some forced carry but it is not generally a driver hole.
9 - 50ish yd difference on a difficult par 4. Distance is not the issue on this hole, there is a lot of trouble. If you can't keep the ball straight it doesn't make how far you hit it. lol
14 - whites make this a long par 3. 245 yd par 4. 286 from the silver and still drivable.
15 - This is a big change. 60 yds to make it a long par 5. Short forced carry. Big hitters can get to the green in 2 from whites at 507 yds.
18 - Silver is the only choice here. White will make you feel like a wimp. :) There is an elevation change from silver to white and white takes the water more out of play. Silver does have a forced carry.

A note about Victory at Verrado. I see we are voting for tee boxes between silver and white. 600 yd difference with nearly 200 coming from 14,15, and 18.

9 - 50ish yd difference on a difficult par 4. Distance is not the issue on this hole, there is a lot of trouble. If you can't keep the ball straight it doesn't make how far you hit it. lol
14 - whites make this a long par 3. 245 yd par 4. 286 from the silver and still drivable.
15 - This is a big change. 60 yds to make it a long par 5. Short forced carry. Big hitters can get to the green in 2 from whites at 507 yds.
18 - Silver is the only choice here. White will make you feel like a wimp. :) There is an elevation change from silver to white and white takes the water more out of play. Silver does have a forced carry.

the idea of the shorter tees, was an attempt to reduce difficulty and improve pace of play. based on your comments, it seems that only a few holes will play significantly easier. while most are essentially the same. minus a few yards of carry. I've never played this course.

I think there is more to the difference than just distance. What are the slope and ratings for the Silver versus White tees?

@mtbloco I voted white but I don't mind play silver

Sad post incoming.

4 weeks ago I had to pull out of the Sewailo tournament because my wife was in labor. In those 4 weeks we have seen some incredible highs and some devastating lows. Sophia was born on November 16th, she was 5 weeks early and very small (expected) at 3lb 13oz. The first week we worked to get some weight on her and things were going well. 8 days after she was born she was diagnosed with Cri du Chat Syndrome. You don't need to google it, it is a genetic disorder that made her special needs. My wife and I were devastated but we were starting to figure out how to make it work. As the days went on we started to see more developmental issues that I won't get into. Sadly this morning our little angel passed 4 weeks after she came into this world.

I give you that information so that I can say that my wife and I would like to donate a set of trophies to this league. Her and I have discussed things through these last 4 weeks and this felt right for my golfer heart. I had a brief DM with @Wildcat4life about this. The trophies we want to donate are for our biggest team event of the year (in AZ, not region vs region). We felt that this was important because my wife and I really had to become a solid team as we looked to the future with a special needs child and then as support as we watched our daughter's health decline. I don't know what tournament the trophies will be for as that will be for the board to determine when the Team Best Ball event will be and where. I just need to get the information from whoever ordered the Esparza Cup and I will order the 2 trophies so each member of the winning team has a trophy to display for a year.

So that means I am now back in for 2021 and I hope golf can help me heal some of my broken heart. Another thing I have learned over these last 4 weeks is just how many programs Phoenix Children's Hospital supports and how much they provide to families in trying times. You can look up Ryan House and Bogden House as examples. I am now a life long advocate for Children's charities. With that being said, all of the lurkers out there thinking about joining the 2021 Albatross Club to join this league, I will cover the cost of the Albatross Club membership for 2021 for the first 3 non members to DM me. You will have to be in AZ and join the league (you pay the league dues).
Sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even begin to imagine going through that. From reading the responses it looks like you have a bunch of great guys to reach out to if you need anything or someone to talk to. I think it's awesome that you are doing this in Sophia's memory and I'm sure it will carry great meaning in this group going forward.

The comradery in this group really stands out and I can't wait for the competition next year. Win, lose, or draw it will be a blast hanging out and playing with you guys.

Silver/White looks good too. The 2 holes I think are important to play silver are 14 and 18. That leaves 15 reasonable and and makes 8 and 9 more playable. Those 2 holes are pace of play problems because of the difficulty and blind shots. The rest are.....

My buddy Nolan @Bowtiepower00 will be joining as a guest. He wants to see if the league is a right fit for him as he's just getting back into golf. I will have him sign up via doodle link.

Silver at Victory is my vote. Having played it about 2 dozen times now, Silver is actually the best set of tees. The combo takes the distance out of the wrong holes imo.
Pinche make sure and sign up via doodle link in page 48

Heard a lot about the league from @tucsoncacti and it sounds like a good time! I work weekends but am adjusting my schedule to make it out to Verrado. Look forward to meeting all of you.

Less than a month to go, boys! Can't wait to see you all again.

Excellent!

We do sign up for each month’s match via a doodle pool. Can you vote here?
Awesome, that makes it easy. Just voted

Anyone want to join @AzGolfer and me at Sewailo on the 28th at 12:24?

Merry Christmas, AZ golf family!
67677742-75A6-4E2D-9708-3FCAA546699E.jpeg

Back