Ask The Pro - Stuck on Back Foot

FrankA

Catch ya on the flip side
Reaction score
Hi GolfTEC,

I was hoping for the some tips/drills to help with a problem I have noticed. I have been hitting my irons much better but when I get up to my hybrids and then FW I get stuck on my back foot. I have a little bit of a mental block as well and just don't make the same movement through the ball. I end up getting stuck on my back foot (swing baggage) and fling the club. I have been more away of this and trying to correct the problem. I was hoping if you could offer some drills or practice techniques to help improve my swing with the longer clubs.

Thanks,

Frank

FrankA,

The biggest issue is a lack of trust when it comes to the longer clubs/swing. More than anything, you just need the reps to get the movement repeatable. The first thing that I would do is lay a club across your shoulders and practice turning to face left of the target in the finish (if you are right handed). This will give you the feel of the finish. From there you need to make practice swing after practice swing gaining trust that you can do it with the longer clubs. Once you feel good about the practice swings, it is then time for the ball. The thing you must remember about the ball sitting there is the body wants to go back to what is comfortable. Forget about contact or where the ball goes in the first couple. You must get the movement down before you can focus on controlling the ball. Get your reps in and you will get there - there is no secret, just practice.

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood/Cary

Thanks for the reply and you are exactly right. My consistency with these clubs come and go and it's the trust issues more than anything. More practice it is!

Back