At what point in a new year do you typically start playing good golf?

I play best mid year when weather is warm and courses are dry and fast. I've never played my best in cold and/or damp conditions. The ball doesn't go as far off the tee, fat contact becomes a problem, and wet areas in front of the greens prevent the ball from rolling on.

After the hot dry summers we have the condition of the greens deteriorates and stays spotty through the winter. So that affects my short game negatively.

Better question for me is at what point am I not as bad. Typically the hot summer months because I get more distance with rollouts on dry fairways.

Looking back through my 1 year handicap history, I hovered around a 14-15 until May, dropped pretty steadily from May - August to an 11-12, then started climbing again in October back up to a 14.

Another person who can play year-round, but my handicap tends to drift up a bit during the winter. I don't practice as much. The added layers of playing on cold days. And the realities of often having wet tight Bermuda lies, mushy areas around the greens and other things that make course conditions less than ideal this time of year.

While I don’t have to put my clubs away for the winter I don’t usually play well while the Bermuda is dormant.

While I don’t have to put my clubs away for the winter I don’t usually play well while the Bermuda is dorman

I’m swinging indoors during the winter so I usually start off okay. Temperature is probably more of a determining factor. If it’s at least mid to upper 50s I will play fine. Below that probably not.

Usually takes me 3-4 weeks outside to start playing well. So like June i guess.

But usually play my best in August/Sept --After i've had a few months of short game reps/bunker play etc.

I can barely get out of bunkers every April

i don't know but it's been so inconsistent...i played yesterday and i am gonna have to commit to better putting.

Back