AussieMatt travels home - a thread

Thanks so much for bringing us along! Was an absolute joy to follow along with! With some family over in Australia I hope to get over there to visit one day!

Thanks so much for bringing us along! Was an absolute joy to follow along with! With some family over in Australia I hope to get over there to visit one day!
It's one of those places (my homeland as well) that so many say but so few do, the travel time & massive cost is typically the barrier but, it's worth the pain (just try to go for more than 2 weeks if possible, you'll need the time)

It's one of those places (my homeland as well) that so many say but so few do, the travel time & massive cost is typically the barrier but, it's worth the pain (just try to go for more than 2 weeks if possible, you'll need the time)
It couldn’t be the cost , as the reverse exchange rate halves the dollar ….

As for travel time , “ the tyranny of distance “ Dorothea Mc kellar “ l love a Sunburnt country “…. That’s what we do , no country is beyond Australians to visit. Similarly l’d expect Kiwis to do same ….

Others should reach further and see more …. Its a fabulous world to explore .

It couldn’t be the cost , as the reverse exchange rate halves the dollar ….

As for travel time , “ the tyranny of distance “ Dorothea Mc kellar “ l love a Sunburnt country “…. That’s what we do , no country is beyond Australians to visit. Similarly l’d expect Kiwis to do same ….

Others should reach further and see more …. Its a fabulous world to explore .
If only the exchange rate helped, costs are so high when you're there and having to pay for everything, at least that was my experience last time there. Gas, food, dining out is not cheap, any type of tourist experience that involves entry or doing something would run my small family of 3 comfortably 3 figures.

What a fantastic trip. Friends family memories, old and new. Hope you get to do it again soon.

If only the exchange rate helped, costs are so high when you're there and having to pay for everything, at least that was my experience last time there. Gas, food, dining out is not cheap, any type of tourist experience that involves entry or doing something would run my small family of 3 comfortably 3 figures.
Are you talking USD to Aud or Nzd ?

USD to NZD
That’s comparable with us , with sitting around mid 60 cents to USD and the Aud to Nz dollar is approx $1.06 to the dollar .

When we travelled to Canada and US this time last year , comparatively we thought things were expensive …

Glad you made it home safely! It was awesome following along with your trip home!

Gday Bruces!

This is the last in the series in this travel thread.

We made it home in one piece! (That's still a hard thing to say because Sydney will always be home for me)

Our bags were unscathed for the trip including the very breakables, which is good because some of them are as old as me and priceless because they're kind of heirlooms.

The trip back was uneventful but long, close to hours traveling. We each only got about 2 hours of sleep and crashed hard when we got home. I was first up at 11, which was a lot later than I wanted to get up. I was wise enough to take a couple of extra days off and go back to work on Wednesday. The Minister chose poorly and she goes back to work tomorrow.

This is the food haul I brought home. 2 different flavours of Tim Tams, a lot of Vegemite, Mars bars biscuits, Shape crackers (Vegemite flavour), think mint sauce, Aussie BBQ sauce, Aussie hot Chilli sauce, Scotch Finger biscuits, Iron Bark (eucalyptus tree) honey, Milo drink mix, "chicken" salt for fries, a couple of different meal seasonings and my brother gave me a large bag of Red Gum smoked salt.. Also is Aerogard, a really good bug spray similar to Off.

View attachment 9253034

These are the heirlooms. They're "Bunnykins" kids tableware that I used up until I was about 8. Plus the knife, fork and spoon. There's also a cut crystal decanter and glasses that was a wedding present to my Mum and Dad. On the right is a travel razor from probably the 20's.

View attachment 9253035
Thanks for taking us along. What a great trip!!!

That was a great trip home! Thanks for taking us along !

Glad everyone and everything made it home safe!

Glad you all made it home safe @AuzzieMatt, thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Thanks again for sharing @AuzzieMatt! Great thread.

Appreciate the thread. I can't imagine living that far from home.

Glad everyone (and everything) made it home safely. Thanks for taking us along on this adventure, it was quite the journey.

Good stuff @AuzzieMatt. Glad you had a safe trip.

Now get back to grinding with those 300 shot sim sessions. 😂😂. Our trip to Victoria National is right around the corner.

Thanks for taking us along on the journey - Glad you made it back Stateside with no issues.

This was an awesome thread! Thanks for taking us along @AuzzieMatt ! A trip to Australia and New Zealand is definitely on my bucket list. Looks like you had amazing times with family and friends!

This was an awesome thread! Thanks for taking us along @AuzzieMatt ! A trip to Australia and New Zealand is definitely on my bucket list. Looks like you had amazing times with family and friends!
Just remember, NZ doesn't have any creepy crawlies or dinosaurs that want to kill you, if that helps with decision making 🤣

Just remember, NZ doesn't have any creepy crawlies or dinosaurs that want to kill you, if that helps with decision making 🤣

Sad Amazon Prime GIF by The Boys

Back