AutoCAD PC Builders?

It's $5k for the full suite(minus Solidworks Experience)+free certification test for 3 years, 50 seats. Yes, through remote desktop..that is cruel. :(

This morning's discovery is that I'm having trouble getting the controls to work on SpaceMouse here on my home desktop as desired. It's dynamic button controls think I am running remote desktop and not the SW application within the remote desktop window, so there is no way for me to program my dynamic SW buttons locally, becuase I can;t even access the menus with 3DConnexxion software that show the Solidworks controls. Or, I'm too dumb to figure it out. Right now all I can do is zoom, I can;t rotate, and I miss my custom shortcut buttons. Ack.

What an adventure 😂

Looking for some affirmation on the new work PC I'm looking to build before the end of the year. The last build I did is about 3.5 years ago so I'm a bit rust. Currently I'm running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022 on an i7-7700K intel with 32 GB of RAM and a PNY Nvidia Quattro P2000. It does it's job for the most part but when I have multiple files open and copy any 3D data from one job to another it likes to lock up on my now. So being that the boss wants productivity he has authorized an upgrade. This is what I'm looking at, any feedback would be welcomed.

New
Old

Even though it's not up to snuff for what you're doing I'd kill for your old card for my machines. :LOL: Kudos to your boss for approving the upgrade.

Here's the card my machines are running..Almost as good as stock videocard graphics.

New
Old

Even though it's not up to snuff for what you're doing I'd kill for your old card for my machines. :LOL: Kudos to your boss for approving the upgrade.

Here's the card my machines are running..Almost as good as stock videocard graphics.

Yeah. I went off this list and looks like AutoCad 2022 is expanding a bit.

I considered the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti or 3080 Ti but the increase in price over the P4000 was just too much more.

Note to self. Don’t accidentally shot the render button in Revit and render the entire facility when you just wanted to render a small selection at 4:19 pm on a Friday.

Note to self. Don’t accidentally shot the render button in Revit and render the entire facility when you just wanted to render a small selection at 4:19 pm on a Friday.
Cloud based is the only way to render.

Last edited:
Let’s see if I can break something 🤣

1649811616657.png

Why didn’t anyone tell me a 32” curved 240 hz monitor was the way to go????

Gotta love needing to upgrade before the end of the year…. Maybe I should have bought 2 🤣

1702668872305.jpeg

Gotta love needing to upgrade before the end of the year…. Maybe I should have bought 2 🤣

View attachment 9230529
Nice setup. A 3 monitor system is so nice when working with Civil 3d.

And I see we work similarly. Main screen on the biggest monitor: toolspace, properties, and layers on the right: panorama and other programs on the left.

Haha. The client wants us to give them a Revit Model so they can hand it over to our competition who underbid us.
christmas vacation GIF

Haha. The client wants us to give them a Revit Model so they can hand it over to our competition who underbid us.
christmas vacation GIF
It's amazing what people try to claim.

Just Friday had an owner call and complain about a bill for layout services for a pond/outfall structure. Their contractor must have called the office 10-15 times with questions, she then tried to threaten with "we have cameras on the property and I know you weren't there the whole time" well correct, but there's drive time, CAD prep time making the points and then doing the actual work while the contractor follows you around saying "what does this mean?".

Of course the owner is very green to building, the big thing now is these wedding venues.... well she didn't realize now that it's not a farm many codes need to change, handicap access, fire protection, septic improvements, etc etc etc. You can't just dump 3 ac of gravel and not need a detention pond......

christmas vacation GIF
Happens all the time... I hand over the model they paid for with a signed electronic information disclosure.

It's unlikely the other firm will be able to do more than link my stuff in to their model anyway. The model doesn't contain my 25 years of experience in their facility.

christmas vacation GIF
I would do it... and bill them for 100 hrs of cad work... lol

I would do it... and bill them for 100 hrs of cad work... lol
We actually had an internal discussion and went back and said they can have the model, but there is significant time to clean it up since it was never a contracted deliverable. So, this will have to be a new PO.

The cost for us to do it will more than likely exceed the amount of our bid versus the low bidder. You get what you pay for!

We actually had an internal discussion and went back and said they can have the model, but there is significant time to clean it up since it was never a contracted deliverable. So, this will have to be a new PO.

The cost for us to do it will more than likely exceed the amount of our bid versus the low bidder. You get what you pay for!
This is what our disclaimer is for... they can have the file, but we aren't necessarily promising it's any good :ROFLMAO: snip from the form they have to sign below.

1706035004144.png

We had to move off of our virtual machines for security reasons. So, I got upgraded from my manager laptop to a freaking beast of a laptop. I went from 16 GB of memory to 64 GB of memory and a I9 processor. I can’t remember the video card offhand, but it is pretty dang good!

Unfortunately, a lot of our stuff resides on a server, so it still takes forever to open files since it has to access that server. I wish I could just make it all local! But, at least when I am doing stuff, I don’t click on things and wait 30 seconds for anything to change.

View attachment 9230529
Speaking of “I should have bought 2”….. monitor on the right went out soooooo I have another 32”….. didn’t really NEED it, but another gaming monitor that was on sale and only $20 more than the standard. Sometimes it’s good being the computer guy 🤣

Back