weemohack

Reaction score
Handicap
My normal gamer is the Q star tour. For $30 for 2 dozen (fathers day BOGO) they can't be beat IMHO. I bought a couple sleeves of the B RX and really liked them. I would say a touch longer off the driver and little more spin than the Q star. Last weekend I picked up a sleeve of the AVX and the course was dry and fast so hard to be sure but wow, they seemed long off the driver and irons both. My impression without a side by side was the AVX was longer than the B RX but didn't quite have the stopping power. Has anyone done a side by side of these 2 and also if anyone has thoughts on these vs the Q star tour also. 9.8 hdcp player, mid to high 90s driver SS.

This thread is seriously tailored to my last year. I played QST last year, reviewed the new AVX, and then gamed the RX in the spring. The AVX and RX are both better performing for me than the QST. I preferred the RX very so slightly to the AVX but it wasn’t based on hard numbers as much as the feel during the few comparisons but you can’t go wrong with either. I’d say go with whatever one is better around the greens for you because both will be low spin off the tee.

I played the TourB RX earlier this year and had some great success on the driver and short game "Drop and Stop"
Then I picked up some 2020 AVX on a whim and was completely impressed how much they made the ball better.
(I'll give Titleist credit, they listen and make changes like the AVX and the T400 Irons)

Right now, I think they are almost interchangeable which is exactly what each of these manufactures want- nick away at each other market.

Last edited:
I either play the AVX or a TP5x and love both. The both as long as each other for my game, the only difference I have to change is around the green as the AVX is not as stop and check as a TP5x. Slight adjustments with the AVX around the greens and then I'm fine. The new AVX is supposed to addressed the green side play.

I've just played 36 with a Bridgestone Tour RX and to be honest I wasn't keen. I hit some really good solid drives but they came up well short of what I would expect and I put that down to to much driver spin for me. Fine for irons shots and around the green, found them a little to hard for my liking too.

I'm busy testing some other balls just for fun.
  • Callaway SuperSoft very nice feeling, long, needs better stopping power however
  • TP5 does everything very well, longer than the TP5x for me, good in the wind.
  • QStar Tour a bit to hard for me, not as long as the others average ball nothing stands out
  • Snell MTB another hard ball and does not fit my game, good but not great
  • Vice Pro+ Top ball, long of the tee, good feeling and great stopping power.
  • Tour B-RX, good around the greens though a little clicky and hard, harder than I imagined. Short(er) drives from the tee.
I just need a ball that's in the $25 range, has the all round feel of the SuperSoft, length of the tee as the Vice or TPX and stopping power of the Vice and I'd be good to go. I'll give the new AVX a go just to see how it has changed for stop and check, but to be honest I'm now at a point where I think its a toss up between the Vice of Callaway as they seem to fit the price and playability for my game.

I'm sure I'll be testing some other as its always a fun thing to do, maybe the AD333 and the Callaway ERC should be on the list next.

I just need a ball that's in the $25 range, has the all round feel of the SuperSoft, length of the tee as the Vice or TPX and stopping power of the Vice and I'd be good to go.
That's not asking for much! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've played both a fair bit - Not alongside each other, but concurrently I suppose.

It falls on Bridgestone for me because I've trusted their product for many years, and the cover is crazy resistant for me. Nothing wrong with AVX, and I think it's an outstanding ball, but I lean hard on Tour B RX personally.

Both outstanding balls IMO. Play extremely similar to me.

Between the two...RX for the reactiv cover. Avx is good but my game needs all the help it can get! Spin counts... I choose RXS for that reason.

Haven't hit the latest AVX but the Tour B RX does it all for me whereas the older AVX had issues around the green and lower flight than I'd like to see with driver.

5hdcp (trending down btw) 55yo, 90mph CHS

Overall performance of the current ones I'd give a slight edge to AVX, but you mentioned price of the Q Stars first in your post. So with that carrying a little extra weight, I'd go with previous year RX.

For me the BRX is higher flying and slightly more responsive on the green than the AVX. The AVX is lower flight and long. It just seems like the ball is on skates when you chip with it. When I go to Bandon Dunes I will definitely take a couple boxes of AVX's. They are the perfect links golf ball.

Played 2020 AVX tonight and really happy with the results. I’d recommend get a sleeve of the 2020 version and give it a try. So different from original version.

Last edited:
I've played the 2020 B RX and liked it very much. Stable flight, predictable, softer feeling without feeling mushy, good enough spin on approaches.

My only knock was that I found it to be a 1/2 club shorter compared to my latest balls used, Z-Star and XV, TP5, Duo-Pro, B X. I found the distance similar, for me, as the Chrome Soft. Love that ball for all things save about a 10 yard loss off driver.

I'd only played through most of a dozen of the original AVX. Gave them a pretty good workout but although swinging relatively well at the time, I wasn't yet 100% in coming back from injury.

I revisited them later when healthy and impressions were similar. Quality ball but for me, already not a high ball hitter, the flight was flatter than I'd like.

Although very long off driver and longer clubs right through to mid irons, and 1/2 club longer on wedges, the flatter trajectory and lower spin on mid-iron approaches often killed me.

I appreciated that the AVX felt soft yet substantial on full swings yet still offered great feedback on chips and putts. Really liked that as a too soft ball will rob me of chipping and lag putting feel for distance.

A buddy of mine who hits the ball too high tried the AVX and they work extremely well for him. His new ball.

Another who's trajectory is too flat, I recommended the B RX and gave him a sleeve. Worked, elevated his flight just a little but enough to help him hold more greens.

How so might I ask?
The short game spin that was there on the first generation is there now. Is it ProV spin? No but it’s a lot closer. It’s just a different ball.

I gotta get another round or two on the avx to make up my mind as to where it stands against the bxs (my current favorite)/brxs (which I haven’t played yet but I got a dozen) for me but I can say that I was impressed with what it was doing...even my 4h tee shot stuck hard on a 192 yard par 3...I don’t care for the price but my initial impression was/is very good.

Back