AXE shafts in 2015

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
I haven't seen much info out there lately on these shafts. There was some chatter around 2011 to 2013. Is anyone using these or have used them. I ordered a taper iron graphite shaft for a karsten head to try out. I am interested in their wood and fairway shafts including the newer ones.

Used one a few years back. Just found better options over the last few years.

Used one a few years back. Just found better options over the last few years.

Im not sure where they are going now. Their newer shafts are getting relatively more expensive.

Cant help you w. driver shafts, but I have a set of j40 dual pockets fitted with AXE XCaliber Tour 95 shafts and they are really good. Plays like a hybrid of a steel and graphite iron shaft. Very good dispersion and mid high piercing ball flight. They cured my wrist tendinitis so now i can mostly play steel again (with pro soft inserts). They are also quite a bit cheaper than Recoils or Steelfibers.

i purchased an adams xtd ti 3w on the thp marketplace, and i needed a new shaft. some google searches kept coming up with axe, and after seeing the prices i was intrigued. i emailed with robin, and he suggested either the tour sl or the 6 rt, both in regular flex with no tipping. for the pricing, i went ahead and purchased driver shafts in both as well, but the tour sl driver shaft is on backorder. i played 36 holes on saturday with the 6 rt in the driver and tour sl in the new fairway. keep in mind that i don't have any experience with other shafts in the fairway. and the other confounding variable is that i knocked my driver loft back to 10.5 to start at standard, and got too lazy to make any adjustments throughout the round.

the 6 rt in the driver performed very well. it had a mid trajectory, and a very nice dispersion. for the first 18, i hit more fairways than i've hit in quite a long time. distance wasn't anything spectacular, but my best swing of the day resulted in a huge drive by my standards. the shaft seemed to play stiff to flex, with a slight fade bias, though i never had a hole that required a draw swing all day. i'm going to adjust the loft for my next round. overall impression is that it appears to be a very well-made shaft.

the tour sl in the fairway felt more active than the 6 rt. but it was a new club, and i don't feel that i put any great swings on it. right-going-right shot shape, but i think that was more the head than the shaft. distance was very impressive, averaging as much as my average drive. trajectory was lower than i'd like, but i was planning on bumping up the loft on the fw anyway. i don't feel like i was swinging this club well enough to get a good impression of the shaft. it didn't feel as light as i expected, and like the rt felt stiffer to flex.

I used them for a while with no real issues. Like JB said I have found what seems to work better for me now so I let the Axe go.

i purchased an adams xtd ti 3w on the thp marketplace, and i needed a new shaft. some google searches kept coming up with axe, and after seeing the prices i was intrigued. i emailed with robin, and he suggested either the tour sl or the 6 rt, both in regular flex with no tipping. for the pricing, i went ahead and purchased driver shafts in both as well, but the tour sl driver shaft is on backorder. i played 36 holes on saturday with the 6 rt in the driver and tour sl in the new fairway. keep in mind that i don't have any experience with other shafts in the fairway. and the other confounding variable is that i knocked my driver loft back to 10.5 to start at standard, and got too lazy to make any adjustments throughout the round.

the 6 rt in the driver performed very well. it had a mid trajectory, and a very nice dispersion. for the first 18, i hit more fairways than i've hit in quite a long time. distance wasn't anything spectacular, but my best swing of the day resulted in a huge drive by my standards. the shaft seemed to play stiff to flex, with a slight fade bias, though i never had a hole that required a draw swing all day. i'm going to adjust the loft for my next round. overall impression is that it appears to be a very well-made shaft.

the tour sl in the fairway felt more active than the 6 rt. but it was a new club, and i don't feel that i put any great swings on it. right-going-right shot shape, but i think that was more the head than the shaft. distance was very impressive, averaging as much as my average drive. trajectory was lower than i'd like, but i was planning on bumping up the loft on the fw anyway. i don't feel like i was swinging this club well enough to get a good impression of the shaft. it didn't feel as light as i expected, and like the rt felt stiffer to flex.

I am interested in the 6 rt. How high was it launch compared to similar profile shafts?

I am interested in the 6 rt. How high was it launch compared to similar profile shafts?

in my adams xtd set at standard loft (10.5), it was mid launch. i had to tee it up to get a high launch, so to me that suggests that the tip isn't as active as the last couple shafts i've really enjoyed (aldila tour blue 65 and miyazaki kusala white). i'm a low ball hitter with anything with more loft than a 5i, so i need the extra degrees in launch angle. i have bumped the xtd up to approx 11.5, and have a round scheduled today so i'll have a little more feedback if you're interested.

i highly recommend emailing robin directly. there's a little bit of "i know everything about golf shafts and the other companies are blowing smoke up your a$$ so listen to me and buy my stuff," but dude does have a track record.

I played an AXE 6 R flex in my r11s 2 seasons ago. I had it shortened to 44" and added some weight to the head. It was the most accurate driver stat wise I have ever gamed. Solid club and even adding like 8 extra grams to an already heavy driver head the shaft never felt loose for my low 90's swing.

I emailed Robin back in April once I learned of his illness wishing him well. He said that in 2016 the shafts will have an all new look. Sounds like good things to come for AXE.

I played an AXE 6 R flex in my r11s 2 seasons ago. I had it shortened to 44" and added some weight to the head. It was the most accurate driver stat wise I have ever gamed. Solid club and even adding like 8 extra grams to an already heavy driver head the shaft never felt loose for my low 90's swing.

I emailed Robin back in April once I learned of his illness wishing him well. He said that in 2016 the shafts will have an all new look. Sounds like good things to come for AXE.

How high did it launch for you?

How high did it launch for you?
I don't believe I ever put it on a monitor but it was the 12* head and I normally set it around 13.5* so it was a high launching setup to begin with. Never ballooned though. My swing was right around 88-90 mph back then and usually saw 210-225 yd drives. Maybe a littler more on firmer days.

I also had an Aldila Rip Phenom 50 R flex at the time and always played the AXE over it. The Phenom sprayed the ball too much.

I don't believe I ever put it on a monitor but it was the 12* head and I normally set it around 13.5* so it was a high launching setup to begin with. Never ballooned though. My swing was right around 88-90 mph back then and usually saw 210-225 yd drives. Maybe a littler more on firmer days.

I also had an Aldila Rip Phenom 50 R flex at the time and always played the AXE over it. The Phenom sprayed the ball too much.

Interesting. Did you make the tip stiffer by cutting the shaft? Robin recommended the 6RT or 6+RT for me. Maybe the rt models are even better than the one you had.
Robin also said some companies make their under 55g shafts a flex or 2 softer than stated.

Interesting. Did you make the tip stiffer by cutting the shaft? Robin recommended the 6RT or 6+RT for me. Maybe the rt models are even better than the one you had.
Robin also said some companies make their under 55g shafts a flex or 2 softer than stated.

No,the Shaft I had was butt cut only not tipped. For what it's worth a fellow internet golf buddy of mine bought the AXE SL fairway wood shafts and had them installed in his woods. A local fitter measured them and the R flex was borderline S / X flex.

I always thought the UST proforce V2 felt a bit firm to stated flex. I'd say Axe shafts have the same feel.

Does the 6RT mean Axe 6 Tour R flex ?
If it's the Tour model those are even more stout in the tip (less torque).

I just had the regular AxE 6 in R flex. Older model. Silver with red graphics.

Does the 6RT mean Axe 6 Tour R flex ?
If it's the Tour model those are even more stout in the tip (less torque).

I just had the regular AxE 6 in R flex. Older model. Silver with red graphics.

No its a new line called real technology. Not much info out there other than contacting the man yourself.

No,the Shaft I had was butt cut only not tipped. For what it's worth a fellow internet golf buddy of mine bought the AXE SL fairway wood shafts and had them installed in his woods. A local fitter measured them and the R flex was borderline S / X flex.

I always thought the UST proforce V2 felt a bit firm to stated flex. I'd say Axe shafts have the same feel.

this is interesting. I had the fw installed in an Adams xtd ti 15* that I have bumped to 16*. when it well it GOES, but it does fly a bit lower than I'd like. the driver is off back order and on its way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is interesting. I had the fw installed in an Adams xtd ti 15* that I have bumped to 16*. when it well it GOES, but it does fly a bit lower than I'd like. the driver is off back order and on its way.

Let us know how it goes. I will probably tinker with my fairway shafts also.

I have an Excaliber shaft stuffed into a Cobra S2 Max 8 iron as a trysies. I like it. Solid, good trajectory and soft feel on my hands which is what I mwas looking for. I need 4 more shafts to finish the set. I'm going to reshaft them as a backup set. Want to try a hybrid shaft and a 6+ in a driver. I just need a good head to try it in.

Mark Shuman

I use several AXE models and consider them my go to shaft for replacing OEM shafts when cost is a factor. The new Tour Xwedge shaft (see info through GWorks) is a really good shaft when fitted properly (Smooth feel and good trajectory control).
Regarding lowering spin rates & trajectory, I have not found a better option that is cost effective than the AXE Tour 6+ & 7.5 models. Note, I am not implying these are better than big name OEMS like Rogue, Diamana, etc just that from a re-shaft cost these are a steal IMO.

I tried out the xcaliber graphite iron shaft in a ping hybrid and it performs just as well as any other hybrid shaft. Accurate and a bit strong to flex. Not whippy at all.

FYI my experiment with the 6rt is officially over. even at r flex, it's too much shaft for me. the tip is not active enough, and I'm having a hard time squaring the face.

I went to the range today with my xtd head and r1 head, and a Miyazaki kusala white 56s, aldila tour blue 65 s, and a.x.e. xcaliber 6rt. I experimented with all combos and a few different lofts. the clear winner was the tour blue in the r1 set to +1*. the kusala white performed very poorly today. the 6rt was pretty good (but very heavy) in the r1 head, but just didn't have the launch angle I need for my swing.

I still like the tour sl in my fw. it's a beast when hit well, though low launching and with a fade bias. the driver tour sl hasn't arrived yet, so I'll post thoughts when it gets here.

Anyone tried the AXE XCaliber Graphite Wedge Spin Shaft?
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_AS0037_A_cn_E_10106
as0037.jpg

I warn anyone doing home club work to be careful when clamping a driver shaft, I split a SWD50 with just mild / regular clamp pressure.

Back