Are you going to play in the event?

• Yes and I will send you my partner

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Yes and I need help finding a partner

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
This is such a good course to play. I will agree the bunkers are horrible and n one rakes anything. I still had a great day and glad I got to scout it out a bit. Looking forward to the team event next month!

Time for my annual spiel:

AZ THP, it's time once again for the Sophia Pina Memorial, which will be held at Southern Dunes GC on Saturday, July 15th. The story behind this event can be found here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/.../arizona-thp-golf-league.8918786/post-9664590. Ricardo Pina (@echico) and his wife have been gracious enough to donate trophies that will be given to each member of the winning team, who get to proudly display them until next year's team event (currently in the possession of @Doubleb21 and @MSEASU) . In return for their generosity, we are collecting donations for Ryan House (https://ryanhouse.org/), a hospice service for children. Donations can be made through our Venmo account (@AZTHP). We collected just over $1,550 last year, and I know we can easily top that amount!

As always, we are not soliciting donations from the main THP board. To the main board members: please consider donating to a local organization in memory of Sophia Pina - - thanks!!
Three weeks until we tee it up at Southern Dunes…time to get those donations fired up!!

Yes, let’s partner up.

Some tough teams. And then there is us, @sourmash 😂

@mtbloco Is there any truth to the rumor that you aren’t bringing your clubs and just going to caddy for @jjjgolf500 😜

Hole 1 - Playing from the Blue tees it looks like 200 will still be short of the pesky right side bunker. Can you get over it off the tee? Sure, but for your first shot do you really want to invite that opening slice? My typical line is at the small FW bunker on left side of the FW. My least favorite pin position is the back pin. Other than that if you can avoid the huge bunker in FW it is a pretty nice opening hole

1687642560851.png

Hole #2 - I have never ever tried to carry the bunker to get to the green. I now always aim at the gap in the trees far enough left from the huge bunker protecting the green. The green is elevated so bad approaches that are short are tricky. Going long of the green is no picnic either. Very good birdie opportunity

1687642695743.png

Hole 3 - From the blues this plays a little different than the golds. A lot of folks can get there in 2 from the blues but do you chance it? It all depends on how far left you aim from the right fairway bunker. If you can split the 2 bunkers you are in great shape. The green has a lot of undulation so being on the right level matters. I have seen eagle here and I have seen quads.

1687642928133.png

Hole 4 - The first par 3. This green is not very deep so you have to come in high and stop the ball. 9-GW depending on where the pin is. Looking for some birdies here. 9 times out of 10 I get the cart girl here. Sounds odd but this is usually where I see her for the first time. 🤷‍♂️

1687643160241.png

Hole 5 - This hole is feast of famine for me. I have stopped taking driver and trying to cut off the corner here recently with good luck. It all really depends on the pin location. There is a big ridge in the middle of the green so you have to have your plan.

1687643364586.png

Hole 6 - A big boy par 3. Look at the bunkers and how much room there is between them and the green. Don't be scared of the bunkers here! There is a bowl in the middle front of the green that collects shots. The left side of the green is a hard pin placement. If you get a par here.....take it and run.

1687643533786.png

Hole 7 - A fun par 5. It feels as though it doglegs a lot more than the picture shows. You have to get the ball over the first bunker on the right there for sure. A lot of times I put it on a downhill lie which makes the 2nd shot a little more difficult. It is tough to run it up to this green as it is protected by some nasty bunkers. This is usually where there are a lot of bugs but since the diary farms are gone and they cleared out a bunch of land for housing the bugs have been better.

1687643610839.png

Hole 8 - This is normally a beast but playing the blues there are a lot of golfers that can carry the bunkers and get a good approach shot into the green. Front pin is very accessible and the back pin requires some distance control. Typically this plays as one of the harder holes but I think we will see some good scores here.

1687643999204.png

Hole 9 - This is an interesting hole. It took awhile for me to get the visual on how to hit the tee shot. Ignore 18 altogether and make sure you are right of that left FW bunker. I have gotten it to roll down the hill before but it takes a poke. You could have 200 in or 130 if you get a good bounce a roll. The green has a large bowl middle right. If it is in the bowl then you will see some approaches get close. The front and back pin locations, you do not want to be in the bowl.

1687644145179.png

Hole 11 today was interesting IMG_7018.jpeg

Back