Back Nine Break Down

Mwinte86

Reaction score
Handicap
Had horrible back nines the last three rounds. I know it’s not a trend as it’s only happened the last three rounds but still very frustrating. Anybody got any advice? Not been particularly hot don’t feel like I’m getting tired and have played the courses before so it’s not a situation where I don’t know where I’m going. Would best describe the break down as my swing just goes away don’t execute shots that I’ve hit all day. Thanks in advance.

Just because you don't feel that you're getting tired doesn't mean that you aren't.

Make sure you're drinking lots of water and eating throughout the round.

If you wait until you start to feel thirsty/tired/hungry it's too late.

Eat properly before the round. During the round is too late.

Golf is hard. Don't be silly. Play shots you have practiced. Don't be a hero. It's just a game. You aren't feeding your family based on your scores. Just go out and embrace the struggle. Golf is hard.

fatigue, your body will fail you before your brain even realizes what's going on

don't rush, take the time you need, play more conservative

Eat properly before the round. During the round is too late.

Golf is hard. Don't be silly. Play shots you have practiced. Don't be a hero. It's just a game. You aren't feeding your family based on your scores. Just go out and embrace the struggle. Golf is hard.

Bingo. Eating the right type of foods and staying hydrated. Gotta avoid foods that cause sugar spikes then a crash

Not ever playing hero shots and always drinking water. Will definitely look at the nutrition part of the equation. Thanks for the input exactly what I've come to expect from this great community.

Too much focus on a desired outcome (score)? I do better when I can let that go and just play the next shot.

Admittedly it is so hard to stick to on the back nine if one has a good round going....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I can't agree more with being properly hydrated an nourished which may have a lot to do with it but you have to understand why they scores are higher.

Where is the big difference between the nines coming from (Is it something speciific or the overall game)? Are you missing putts, missing greens, having penalty strokes. Did you have 13 putts on the front and 18 on the back as an example. I can tell you what is killing a specific 9 for me has been penalty strokes (crazy stat but I'm averaging~ 2 per round). Which again I can relate focus possibly caused by hydration and nutrition.

I've been fighting it this year. The 1st year I tracked Front 9 scores vs. Back 9 scores.

I started evening them out be having some carbs around hole 8-9 or so.

Trail mix (with fruit, M&M's), fruit, Cliff Bar...something with sugars.

A good, healthy meal prior to the round (always), and lots of fluids. I'll usually have (2) bottles of water and (2) Gatorades every 18 holes.

It's either too much booze, or not enough booze.

Not ever playing hero shots and always drinking water. Will definitely look at the nutrition part of the equation. Thanks for the input exactly what I've come to expect from this great community.

Dr Ara from golf channel and their on site nutritionist had some videos up about good sources of energy. IRC it was fruit, protein bars, nuts, granola and some sandwiches were some of the items. I usually eat a pbj, nuts, protein bar and some sort of carb that’s not high in sugar.

To the OP, my last two months have been incredibly frustrating. It seems like every round I've played has ended within a stroke or two of 85. It doesn't matter which course, or how hard it is. Also doesn't matter if I shoot 38 or 46 on the front. I'm going to end up within a stroke either way of 85. I mentioned this to the guys I play with weeks ago, and it's now become a running joke for them. It's so frustrating, because as badly as I've wanted consistency in my game, I didn't want to be consistently mediocre.

One thing during the summer to be aware of is that you loosen up a lot during the round when it is warm. Make sure your backswing is not getting longer and longer as the round goes on and causing consistency to falter.

It's either too much booze, or not enough booze.

Concur. It can always be blamed on one or the other.

Three rounds isn't enough to really go on. I'm sure I've had stretches where either the front or the back were an anomaly over the course of three or more rounds.

I'll share my personal back nine swing thought with you if you think it might help; "hey you big fat dummy, stop shanking the stupid ball". It's also my front nine swing thought.

Don’t drink at all, not even off the course.

I think this might be the cause of your back nine problems. Sometimes a man just needs a little swing oil/juice.

FWIW I don't drink either. Unless I'm thirsty.

I have had the same issue this summer. It’s been hot as hell here in Georgia and I get tired and it makes me not fire my hips and I get too handsy. It’s weak hook city for me with the driver as a result. Approach shots and chips suffer at times too. I think it’s just a need to hydrate/eat better on the course. So frustrating.

For about the past 3 or 4 months, I have been hitting the skids in the middle 3rd of the round quite often but usually finish strong. Have not been able to put my finger on the cause. Never have been one to eat during a round but consume a lot of water throughout the round. Today's round was even through the 1st 3rd, +4 for the next 3rd and -2 over the last 3rd. There are 2 really tough holes in that middle third but there are also 2 tough ones in each of the other 3rds of the course.

Back