Bad experience at the home course today

There was a club, two miles from my house, that instituted a "walking for members only" rule. Once they did that, I stopped going there. It helped that there are six more courses within 10 miles of my house so I'm fortunate there ... but I just don't understand why ... when a course is practically empty ... they'll turn away guaranteed revenue to enforce a rule that doesn't really need enforcing at that point and time.

It sounds like the girl was doing her job and you took your frustration out on the wrong person. She was doing what she was told.
True, but common sense IMO dictates that if there wouldn't have been a huge inconvenience that she could have said "This really is no longer our policy, but I'll let you out this one time ... you'll have to talk to my GM though next time you are here."

Man, that sucks. Hope you're able to find somewhere else in the area to play. Hit me up sometime and lets meet up at the state park in McRae.

Sounds weird to me. I probably would have been more outwardly upset. How does this place stay in business?

1) i think you were fine with your behavior

2) that is ridiculous

3) i agree that there are some rules that are ridiculously stupid and have no logic to back it up
Exactly.Than course owners and managers want to know why the game is struggling.I read this and just see a course closure or bankruptcy in this clubs future.Talk about not being user friendly or not caring if your business is successful

While I don't think you overreacted, and it's obviously nuts, you were arguing with a person who does not want to break the rules and you were basically asking her to do so, which is unreasonable, she could get fired, is that OK so that you can play golf? nope.

What you should have done is accepted the crappy new rules and spoken to someone higher up to clarify the silliness, let them hear it from you, and if it turns out to be the truth move on to another course.

I would have said "your policy is idiotic, & this is why courses are failing in general. You have just lost another paying customer. Have a nice day." Luckily there are enough golf courses around me that if I get treated that way, I have a lot of other options. There are too many golf courses vying for your business.

Unfortunately you don't have any other options as you stated, so I would definitely express my concerns to the GM (especially about the attitude of the woman)

Did nobody realize this basically prevents play after 4PM on Thursdays/Fridays, except for the few groups, when they made this rule? Seems nuts. Even a lot of the prominent, busy courses around here allow walking for twilight 9s on the weekend.

There was a club, two miles from my house, that instituted a "walking for members only" rule. Once they did that, I stopped going there. It helped that there are six more courses within 10 miles of my house so I'm fortunate there ... but I just don't understand why ... when a course is practically empty ... they'll turn away guaranteed revenue to enforce a rule that doesn't really need enforcing at that point and time.

True, but common sense IMO dictates that if there wouldn't have been a huge inconvenience that she could have said "This really is no longer our policy, but I'll let you out this one time ... you'll have to talk to my GM though next time you are here."

And then she might get fired. There's no point in wasting your breath complaining to an employee that does not make the rules. I think he should've waited to complain to the manager. I took I flight to Chicago this morning, first class. I was shocked and annoyed that I had to pay for wifi with a first class ticket. Did I complain to the flight attendant? No because she has nothing to to with it. Will I complain on Twitter or fly a different airline next time? You bet.

I find it odd that they wouldn't let him at least walk but clearly it's been an issue in the past or they wouldn't make their rule. At a semi private course, non members ARE second class customers. First class being members, as it should be. That's the point of a membership.

And then she might get fired. There's no point in wasting your breath complaining to an employee that does not make the rules. I think he should've waited to complain to the manager..

Sure its better to relay our issues to management but complaining to whomever it is that is dealing with you at the time is imo perfectly fine to do so long as you don't take your anger out on that person. One can still let that person know how you feel and why and what its is about the rules that angers you. You can do that without insulting or belittling the person and also without making the person feel its there fault.

There a couple reasons one can do this. One is because the ruling may or may not be completely correctly understood by the employee and that person may feel (or realizes) that they may indeed be able to us some discretion and actually accommodate you after better understanding the sense of things. The other reason is that it is a way in which the message can get sent to management via the employee. Especially if the employee also agrees and feels its ridiculous they may be more inclined to speak that same reasoning of the customer to his/her superiors.

The only problem is that some people when upset don't understand how to speak respectfully to an employee who is only following rules. But if one can do this respectfully, they can absolutely explain the frustration to the employee. Explaining to them is very different from taking things out on them. It may or may not be a waste but you are both at the moment there and why not and just maybe it helps. After that then I would still (if it still bothered me) call/visit another time and speak to one in charge if I could.

All the courses around here are open til dark. Most of them have cheaper rates after 3 or 4pm to draw in extra customers! Sounds like a totally bassackwards policy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to take a minute to update and clarify some of the issues being brought up. To all saying just find another course, sure I would if it was that easy. Im looking at a minimum of 1.5-2 hrs extra in basically just drive time to do that, so if I wanted to get in a quick nine in the afternoon it would be virtually impossible not to mention just using the practice facilities or range. Trust me, If I had other options nearby, I would explore them.

Next, I understand she doesn't make the rules per say, but they are a lazy bunch and I bet the ladies at the desk have some influence into certain rules being implemented. They also handle cart duties if the ranger/cart guy isnt there or on the course at the time. Remember this is a small town country club, so the staffing responsibilities is probably different than most courses. I don't believe her job would have been in jeopardy for a number of reasons. First we are talking just a few minutes here. I would have the cart back well before the 7 pm mandatory return time. I would be making a big deal out of it either way. I would have remembered that though, and responded in kind. I take good care of anyone that gives excellence service and even to some extent those that don't. She would have generated a little extra revenue as well, which isn't bad for a course these days.

I guess people didn't read that the superintendent had gone home already for the day. I guess I could have detoured and showed up to his house to give him an earful, but what would that solve. I said I would speak with him about it when given the opportunity.

I would also like to state that any business/clubs employees are representatives of that company. She make not make the rules, but she could have used a bit more common sense given the circumstances. Regardless, I didn't push her to do anything, just stated my thoughts on the matter, got my range balls, and moved on. I wouldn't have even gone back in until all the other stuff happened, and then I felt a bit slighted. Ive though about a membership, but the whole ordeal just makes me question doing any kind of long term business with them. I love the course and most of the people there are pretty reasonable, so I haven't given up completely yet. I probably won't go out of my way anymore to do all the extra stuff that I really don't have to.

So, update from conversation with the super. Talked to him yesterday afternoon and told him kinda what happened. He was like those groups never tee off on time anyway. Im surprised she didn't let you go. I then inquired to the thought behind the no carts after 4 rule even for 9 holes. Again, he said that rule should only be applied if the course is really busy and most of the carts are out because it takes them longer to get them ready for the morning, which I understand. He said if the course was basically empty then then it shouldn't matter. I told him I offered to walk which didn't involve the cart anyway and was denied this as well. He look a bit flustered by this and said he has told them more than once, that only applies when its a really busy time like Saturday or Sunday. I finally explained that I just went to the range to practice and that the ladies teed off after 6 and that another group teed off with a club cart closer to 630. I told him I understand rules have there place but it seemed a bit misguided to turn away revenue in situations like that and he agreed. He semi retired last year and hes only been back for about 2 months, so he said hes still getting everything back to "normal" and that he would speak with the ladies up front and go over the course rules in detail with them again. He knows Im a contractor and Ive done work for him at his home before. Anyway he has some stuff he wants to do at the clubhouse and asked if Id be interested in giving him an estimate and I offered an even trade of golf for said work and he agreed. So now it looks like Ill be getting some comped rounds for an afternoon of work. Win win for everybody I think.

phenom4hire;4585212 So said:
Was interested in your update.
Make sure your T's are crossed and i's are dotted in your barter and that super lets those lazy ladies up front know exactly what your arrangements are in your barter.

Sounds like there needs to be better communication between this super and his staff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I agree and he is aware. Like I said he is coming back into the fold after semi retirement last year and the new guy couldn't keep conditions up to par.

You should have throat punched her and played 18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you lost a battle but won the war. It was cool to stay level-headed.

Thanks for the update. I was hoping resolution would work out in your favor.

Back