My very first iron fitting that I went to, the fitter straight up ignored me for 45 minutes.
Finally came over, and I made him refund my money because my tee-time started in 15 minutes (at the same course).

I don't get the concept of professionals ignoring, or doing a junk job, for a service that you want people to keep coming back to you for. Be it lessons, fittings, or anything like that. Would they rather we just not pay money and in return they not make more money?

I contacted a pro that I respect that said he does fittings. I told him the situation that I was looking to get fit for a set of Cobra clubs and that they will be sending me the clubs. He replied that it was no problem and said that they only have Pings but a “fitting is a fitting” and he charges $75.

that doesn’t sound right at all. If he doesn’t have cobra clubs, how would a fitting be a fitting? I wouldn’t know the feel or gapping or dispersion or really anything on the Cobras.

You could get basic length and lie from that sure. maybe even a baseline for weight or type of shaft just to know what feel you're looking for. But performance wise for what best matches up, no chance.

Considering length and lie doesn't take much at all, and he isn't fitting you to the clubs you even requested, $75 is a joke.

thats why i went to 3 different places before i got my set. luckily all places came up with the same clubs and fitting for me

2 deg up. ping green dots never told them a thing about the other places

I re-read his email. I can’t believe that was his response. You can’t all it a fitting just by measuring swing speed and heig
You could get basic length and lie from that sure. maybe even a baseline for weight or type of shaft just to know what feel you're looking for. But performance wise for what best matches up, no chance.

Considering length and lie doesn't take much at all, and he isn't fitting you to the clubs you even requested, $75 is a joke.
I completely agree. I could probably fit myself for length and lie. I am particularly interested on one length, but getting fitted for it is what is holding me back. Just really worried about gapping with one length. I could not believe the response (copied):

Yes I do fitting for ping but fitting is fitting so we can go thru it all and I can tell you what you need to order with Cobra. The fitting fee is $75

Let me know!
Mike

I am a professional in body mechanics and kinesiology.
I attempted one fitting locally. After asking the "fitter" a few questions, I was convinced he knew little to nothing about body mechanics. I promptly exited stage right. Is there a standardized training program for these "fitters", or are they winging it with little experience? Not good.

Minneapolis is a crazy good place to be a golfer(for 7 months,lol). MN has the most or second most golfers per capita and we have a lot of choices whether its courses, private clubs, or specialty golf stores. There is another place here a few miles from my house where I’ve had a putting lesson called Totally Driven. They do professional fittings including SAM Lab, coaching, and golf fitness programs. The have memberships that include access to 5 Trackman hitting bays and a gym. One of my buddies did the 6 month coaching/fitness program there a couple years ago and dropped his index from a 10.5 to a 4 and he would be lower if he had the time to play more than 35 rounds a year. I’ll start regular putting lessons there in March or April and next winter I’m planning on signing up for their 3 month program.

View attachment 8925655

This sounds fantastic.

I am a professional in body mechanics and kinesiology.
I attempted one fitting locally. After asking the "fitter" a few questions, I was convinced he knew little to nothing about body mechanics. I promptly exited stage right. Is there a standardized training program for these "fitters", or are they winging it with little experience? Not good.
There is a very basic level of club fitting, repair and etc given during the PGA program in terms of books and seminars. Like may other things, it is up to the individuals to gain this knowledge and learn this part of the business. Experience is key, and in order to find a good fitter it is best to go by reputation of person and or their employer.

Man there are some horror stories in here. I have been quite lucky in my fitting.

I could not believe the response (copied):

Yes I do fitting for ping but fitting is fitting so we can go thru it all and I can tell you what you need to order with Cobra. The fitting fee is $75

Let me know!
Mike
You might ask him to clarify. When I read this it could mean what you've stated or it could mean he is a Ping fitter that is willing to work with you to fit Cobra. Hard to say as sometimes people's emails are too short to really know what they are trying to convey. Depends on how much you trust him or ask him to clarify if the fitting would include hitting the Cobra clubs??

You might ask him to clarify. When I read this it could mean what you've stated or it could mean he is a Ping fitter that is willing to work with you to fit Cobra. Hard to say as sometimes people's emails are too short to really know what they are trying to convey. Depends on how much you trust him or ask him to clarify if the fitting would include hitting the Cobra clubs??
no, he only has ping clubs. he said he could fit me with those and then tell me what i could order from cobra

no, he only has ping clubs. he said he could fit me with those and then tell me what i could order from cobra
Then he's dead to you.

Then he's dead to you.
he does give good lessons, but kind of perturbed by his answer. I know $75 could come in handy for him, but just say, "no, I am only setup to fit for Ping"

Man, all this talk of bad fitters, I am hoping my fitting sessions for Cobra clubs next week with Dallas Golf will be OK. Ive done business with them before, but never a fitting.

Why is that? Why do you old clubs even matter for fitting into new clubs?
It's to get a baseline with something that you are used to swinging...

It's like any other profession. The shame is that there are good fitters out there who suffer as a result of the crappy ones. The crappy ones know just enough to be dangerous. Or worse, they know enough to be good but just don't give a ****.

We are so desperate to improve that we become easy targets. It's easy to say we should do our homework. How's that possible when there are a million different opinions regarding equipment and fitting?

Those of us who don't know very much about golf are repeatedly told that we really should be fitted. Well, if it's going to be a crap shoot as to whether or not the pro will be competent, maybe it's no less of a risk buying clubs off the rack. Who knows... in some cases, maybe it's the smarter way to go.

I've been to a fitter who was a craftsman and caught a glimpse of what the profession should be about. But I just can't commit that kind of money and expectation towards something that might make a minimal difference at best. If there's anything worse than being crappy at golf, it's paying a lot of money to be crappy at golf.

That's why the good fitters suffer as a result of the crappy ones.

This is a great thread and timely for me as I am trying to decide between Club Champion and Golftec with the latter about 100 dollars cheaper and a bit closer to where I live. I will be replacing custom clubs which have worked really well for me, so I think they can use lie and weight and length as they are, and the choice will be whether I need to go from stiff to regular and what brand to buy. Thanks all!

Back