Ball Position Discussion

Let's discuss ball position. Where do you position the ball for various clubs? What is your reference point? What have you learned from your swing by observing and experimenting with ball position?

I was inspired to start this thread as I came across *another* online lesson on ball position. Like most of them, they advocate a specific ball position, but don't really tell you why--much less what you can learn about your swing by observing how your swing interacts with ball position. I'm betting there is a lot we can learn from each other's experiences.
I tend to put the ball in the middle of my stance with wedges and I move the ball ahead slightly as I move up through the bag. Its a tricky thing because as your stance gets wider as you move up through the bag, its easy to lose sight of ball position but it just takes a little practice and paying attention to the details.

Some instructors describe ball position relative to center between the feet, others talk relative to the front foot (usually the heel of the foot) and others seem to go back and forth. I've learned to value both ball position and stance width. If you only talk about ball position relative to both feet, they aren't the same ball position when the stance width is significantly different. Similarly, if you only talk about ball position relative to the front heel you shouldn't expect to bottom out at the same spot if your stance is wide vs. narrow.

Yes, weight transfer and turning my hips through is something I'm working on. I completely understand the weight transfer idea from playing hockey, and playing baseball... but for some reason I need to focus on it during my golf swing.
There are a lot of transferable ideas and principles from hockey and baseball when it comes to the golf swing.

There are a lot of transferable ideas and principles from hockey and baseball when it comes to the golf swing.
Completely agree! It's just honing those into something useful during the golf swing!

One thing I am finding as I work on my swing is that getting my balance point above the center of my feet is very important to a proper pivot during the swing. Once I find that balance making sure that am not too close or too far away from the ball is important too. I kind of shuffle my feet a bit as I waggle and get where the sweet spot of the club is right behind the ball and I feel comfortable I won't have to reach for the ball or swing outside in to hit it. This alone has increased my consistency quite a bit.

Last edited:
One thing I am finding as I work on my swing is that getting my balance point above the center of my feet is very important to a proper pivot during the swing. Once I find that balance making sure that am not too close or too far away from the ball is important too. I kind of shuffle my feet a bit as I waggle and get where the sweet spot of the club is right behind the ball and I feel comfortable I won't have to reach for the ball or swing outside on to hit it. This alone has increased my consistency quite a bit.
I feel like this is an often overlooked aspect of ball position! I know that my strikes improved once I started 'measuring' distance to the ball similar to what you mentioned.

Ball position is honestly one of the reasons I ponder playing one length clubs. It simplifies things if you just play everything from the same position in your stance, one less thing to think about.

Maybe I need to focus more on ball position. I cannot remember the last time I actually thought about ball position. I just get up to the ball, get my position, and hit it with my focus being on the target. Don't know that I see any more or less mishits. Maybe ball position is overrated? :unsure:

As a casual golfer, I use Hogan/Nicklaus/Norman, and even Foley’s suggestions above for constant ball position, but widening/narrowing stance based on club selection. Just easier for me. But I will move the ball further back in my stance for chips around the green and punch outs from the trees.

Back