Bandon Dunes advice

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It looks like I may have the opportunity to play Bandon Dunes on July 5th. I'm likely only going to be able to play one course.

I'm currently booked on Bandon Dunes, but still have the opportunity to change it. For the locals, if you could only play one, which one would you play?

Thanks!

It looks like I may have the opportunity to play Bandon Dunes on July 5th. I'm likely only going to be able to play one course.

I'm currently booked on Bandon Dunes, but still have the opportunity to change it. For the locals, if you could only play one, which one would you play?

Thanks!

Im not a local but we played all of the courses last year. Honestly they are all very good and everyone has their own opinion but my favorite was Bandon. I think it has the best variety of holes and 3 or 4 simply all-world holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep not local either, but my favorite was Pacific Dunes...

However, if your going to the property and only have time for one....Play Bandon, it is the original, and phenomenal...

Your choosing between 4 of the top 20 courses in the US, pretty hard to go wrong :)

I would either go Bandon Dunes or Pacific Dunes. they are the most similar in my opinion and most that I have talked to think higher of Pacific than Bandon.

My favorite course is Bandon Trails (love the layout, Coore and Crenshaw created a masterpiece IMHO) but it has almost no ocean views so I would not recommend it for that reason. Old Macdonald is a different sort of track than either of the first 2. Has some ocean views (Pacific has the most and best IMHO), bigger greens, slightly wider fairways but tougher to score low at, but easier for higher handicappers to keep from making a big number.

So after typing that out I would say 1st choice would be Pacific dunes, 2nd would be Bandon Dunes. Don't think you will be disappointed with either.

Thanks!
Bandon - the course I'd pick if I had to play only one course every day. It is the most 'accessible', has some truly world class wonderful holes, is more straight forward - probably a better option for most people that aren't really versed in links golf.

Pacific - many people would pick Pacific because it has some holes that are more raw and wild. The layout is more quirky - back to back par 3s, etc.

Trails - FABULOUS course but I don't think I could pick it. If I'm going to Bandon I need to see ocean. You don't on Trails.

Old Mac - It is the most unique experience but it doesn't really bring the ocean into play so I'd pass.

You can't go wrong with either Bandon or Pacific. I would probably pick Bandon but can completely understand others picking Pacific.

Thanks folks!

Given the feedback, I'll stick with Bandon.

Thanks folks!

Given the feedback, I'll stick with Bandon.
FWIW The Preserve is really fun and worth the money. You will be there in July so there will be all kinds of daylight. IMO it is something you should really try to do.

FWIW The Preserve is really fun and worth the money. You will be there in July so there will be all kinds of daylight. IMO it is something you should really try to do.

Yes, as a replay the Preserve is really a fun time. Highly recommend.

Agree with others.... You cannot go wrong with Bandon or Pacific. Have played all of them and Trails was my favorite but it doesnt give you the experience you get from Bandon or Pacific. Have a blast!

I wonder what the replay rate is? I wasn't really looking to add another $375 round.

I wonder what the replay rate is? I wasn't really looking to add another $375 round.

It's generally half price for a replay. You can also go to the putting course which is so much damn fun with some cocktails.

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/2018-green-fees

If you are just playing the replay rate is $165 in July. If you are a resort guest it is $140. Rate should be max of $325 for July (that is highest price of the year) and there is no sales tax in the state of Oregon so that is the all in rate.

The Preserve is $100.

Yeah, I'd throw the Preserve into your day as well since you'll only be able to play one day. How many more times do you realistically think you'll get back there to play? Might as well maximize your opportunity!

The Preserve might be the best $100 I've ever spent. We had an absolute BLAST playing that little track.

The Preserve might be the best $100 I've ever spent. We had an absolute BLAST playing that little track.

It was by far the most fun I had when we went last time. We played KP, skins and i think took down 16 beers between the 4 of us. On the last hole we all hit 2 balls off the tee, one with our wedges and one with our putters. All 4 of us were closer with our putter shot.

It was by far the most fun I had when we went last time. We played KP, skins and i think took down 16 beers between the 4 of us. On the last hole we all hit 2 balls off the tee, one with our wedges and one with our putters. All 4 of us were closer with our putter shot.

Nate used putter on that hole too, lol! Yeah we had a blast, tons of beverages and just carrying around a few clubs. Great views and the wind actually died down as we played it as the sun was setting. Loved it!

Back