leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
Looks like I'm going to Bandon Dunes this coming summer.

Looking for any tips that people might have for travel, wardrobe, etc.

I have no part in planning the golf but we are playing 5 of the courses.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Invest in proper rain gear before you go. I hope you don't need it but it is good to have.
Get some snacks in stuff on your way to the resort. There are good food options there but it is nice to have some cheaper items.
Dinner reservations can now be made 6 months in advance. If you have a larger group then do this! Smaller groups you may be able to find some places to eat but can be hard as well.
Lip balm and face moisturizer are a must!
If you have not walked a course you should get some walking in before you go. If you play 36 in a day you will be surprised how much it takes out of you.

Go to your local Planet Fitness and get a membership. Go back with your golf bag on your back and get on the treadmill at 2.5mph and a 10-degree incline for 30 minutes/day for 5 days a week until you are 1 week out from your trip.
In addition, read the other links that @baylrballa provided. It is such a great trip!!!

If you have not walked a course you should get some walking in before you go. If you play 36 in a day you will be surprised how much it takes out of you.

Get the comfiest and waterproofiest shoes/socks you can find

Get the comfiest and waterproofiest shoes/socks you can find
and get double because you will change you socks after 18 and maybe your shoes.

Hoping we will avoid most of this since we are going at the end of July and on average they have 1 rainy day that month. Still going to have waterproof shoes.

Also, only doing 36 one day of the 4 days we will be there.

And wear them a few times before you go. I've heard of people buying brand new shoes for it. That's a good way to get blisters.

Get a lightweight stand bag. Take the clubs out of your current bag and put them in the new bag. Leave everything else in your old bag.

Buy some Epoch tees and only carry 5 of them with you in the bag. You don't need any more, unless you are abusive to them.

Take caddies. Save up cash and tip them well. They are worth it. Take as little as possible in your bag. There are snack shacks out there, so you don't need to fill the bag full of food.

Buy the reusable Yeti water bottle and use that while you are out there. There are filling stations at the snack shacks, and they sell the bottles at cost. It is the best souvenir out there.

If you fly into Portland and drive down, take the route on the coast. It is phenomenal.

Get a lightweight stand bag. Take the clubs out of your current bag and put them in the new bag. Leave everything else in your old bag.

Buy some Epoch tees and only carry 5 of them with you in the bag. You don't need any more, unless you are abusive to them.

Take caddies. Save up cash and tip them well. They are worth it. Take as little as possible in your bag. There are snack shacks out there, so you don't need to fill the bag full of food.

Buy the reusable Yeti water bottle and use that while you are out there. There are filling stations at the snack shacks, and they sell the bottles at cost. It is the best souvenir out there.

If you fly into Portland and drive down, take the route on the coast. It is phenomenal.

Great tips. I think I have a fairly light stand bag now. Do I need to look into something even lighter?

Thanks for the tip on snacks and water bottle. I was wondering about food and water since we will be walking the whole time.

Great tips. I think I have a fairly light stand bag now. Do I need to look into something even lighter?

Thanks for the tip on snacks and water bottle. I was wondering about food and water since we will be walking the whole time.
This was something I found on their website about the ideal bag:

This was in response to a question about this subject from the director of caddie services at Bandon Dunes:

"The dream bag is a bag that weighs 2.5 to 3.5 pounds with nothing in it. Our carry change out bags are the Sun Mountain 3.5 with good straps and legs. The ideal bag weight is 14 clubs, 8 golf balls, light layering piece, some tees, ball markers, and a bottle of water. The bag should weigh 25lbs or less. The Sunday carry bag is nice and light but they have to bend down each time to pick it up. It can get tiresome especially if the other bag he is carrying has legs. Now if the caddie was only single bagging then the Sunday carry bag is great."

Our club is caddie or cart before 10 on the weekends, and I am carrying my bag at other times, so I went with a very light weight sun mountain 2.5+ which is 2.9 lbs empty, and the strap system works a lot better used as a single strap than the bags I've carried in the past.

If you have too much stuff in your bag, the guy at bag drop will pull stuff out and bag it for you to pick up after the round. Caddie will do the same haha.

Hoping we will avoid most of this since we are going at the end of July and on average they have 1 rainy day that month. Still going to have waterproof shoes.

Also, only doing 36 one day of the 4 days we will be there.
It can and will rain any time of year. The only weather thing that’s guaranteed with the calendar is the direction of the wind. ALWAYS bring appropriate rain gear.

I wrote pretty comprehensive course reviews for all the courses, plus an overall review of the property. If interested just do a site search.

Also, heads up they just opened a new steak house which is near the entrance to Old Mac.

In July you will have very long days. That allows you to take advantage of the deal where 2nd rounds are $100 and 3rd rounds are free, assuming your body can handle it.

If you can swing it caddies are a big help for first timers, especially. Or if you are a 4some at least consider a forecaddy. It will improve the experience.

It can and will rain any time of year. The only weather thing that’s guaranteed with the calendar is the direction of the wind. ALWAYS bring appropriate rain gear.

I wrote pretty comprehensive course reviews for all the courses, plus an overall review of the property. If interested just do a site search.

Also, heads up they just opened a new steak house which is near the entrance to Old Mac.

In July you will have very long days. That allows you to take advantage of the deal where 2nd rounds are $100 and 3rd rounds are free, assuming your body can handle it.

If you can swing it caddies are a big help for first timers, especially. Or if you are a 4some at least consider a forecaddy. It will improve the experience.

Yes I certainly am going to take rain gear. I am certain with the group I am going with we will at least use the forecaddy option.

Old Mac and Trails are the hardest walks. Use this info for how you plan your rounds. For example, if you do 2 rounds per day don’t do these 2 together unless it’s your last day or you are definitely in shape.

You are pretty much going to physically feel it no matter what, but fitness level is important. Work on it now. Many people are accustomed to riding in carts all the time. If that’s you, start walking all of your rounds now. That’s a minimum.

Old Mac and Trails are the hardest walks. Use this info for how you plan your rounds. For example, if you do 2 rounds per day don’t do these 2 together unless it’s your last day or you are definitely in shape.

You are pretty much going to physically feel it no matter what, but fitness level is important. Work on it now. Many people are accustomed to riding in carts all the time. If that’s you, start walking all of your rounds now. That’s a minimum.

Certainly. I generally walk as much as possible from now until it starts to really get hot and humid here. That can be into May but I am going to make a point to try and still walk as much as possible in preparation.

I do lift weights and walk 3x per week and will add additional walking (outside of golf) as weather allows

Looks like I'm going to Bandon Dunes this coming summer.

Looking for any tips that people might have for travel, wardrobe, etc.

I have no part in planning the golf but we are playing 5 of the courses.

Reminder that dinner reservations can be taken 6 months in advance. I just called for some for end of April and 1 day the earliest I could get in was 9PM so keep an eye out to get reservations if needed. I did get a reservation for the Ghost Tree Grill on one of the days as I am really excited to try that place.

Rian gear and comfortable shoes are a must. Expect high winds and rain, manifest it. It's such an awesome experience! Don't forget to hit up the Punch Bowl. I'm making my second trip there in March and cannot wait.

Go to your local Planet Fitness and get a membership. Go back with your golf bag on your back and get on the treadmill at 2.5mph and a 10-degree incline for 30 minutes/day for 5 days a week until you are 1 week out from your trip.
In addition, read the other links that @baylrballa provided. It is such a great trip!!!
That wouldn't be the strangest thing I have seen at Planet Fitness!

Don’t forget to play the short courses and the Punchbowl. Preserve was the funnest course on property, partially because of the bets and smack talk amongst the group. They are opening the new Shorty’s and I’m sure it will be awesome.

Definitely take caddies, even dragging the push carts is a pain and something about not worrying about it is awesome. Plus, it’s a lot of walking and golf, save your body for the fun part!

If you wear contacts, bring eye drops to throw in after your round. It’s so windy they’ll be dry as a bone. You’ll feel like a new person when having your post round beer(s) vs irritated dry eyes.

Also bring chap stick. Apply often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. Got lasik but I'll still bring eye drops. Hopefully I can wear sunglasses most of the time to keep wind out of my eyes.

Certainly. I generally walk as much as possible from now until it starts to really get hot and humid here. That can be into May but I am going to make a point to try and still walk as much as possible in preparation.

I do lift weights and walk 3x per week and will add additional walking (outside of golf) as weather allows
Yes, there is a lot of walking, but I did not think it was terrible. Have been twice and we walked 36 a day for 3 days. I was 60 at the time and in 'fair" shape. I think it was mostly pure adrenaline that got me through. :) They have amazing pull carts that handle the terrain extremely well. Highly recommend that instead of carrying your bag, which also means you don't have to be as selective on the amount of stuff in your bag. How many balls was the biggest decision for me. My first trip I only lost 3 over the 3 1/2 days. On the second trip I lost 6 in one round alone (Pacific Dunes). Golf. Gotta love it.
Make extra time for the Preserve and Punch Bowl. PB is fun, but the Preserve is better than some 18 hole courses. Use your putter off #13!

It's an INCREDIBLE experience. I am a Bandon groupie for sure.

So Shorty's par 3 course will be open in May. Just got an email and moved a Preserve round to Shorty's. 19 holes.

I did get a reservation for the Ghost Tree Grill on one of the days as I am really excited to try that place.

Ate there Nov '23. If you ate at The Forge when it was located in the main lodge at BD, you've basically eaten at GTG. There are some menu differences, but the primary difference is the setting and ambiance. The building is beautiful and has a great fireplace and views of OM 18th. Food was very good and served in typical Bandon portions.

Back