BBQ: Memphis or KC Style

KC....best I ever had was at some joint where when you walk in the staff yells "MAY WE HELP YOU!?!??!?"
That would be Gates
I love their ribs they're my favorite next to mine.

We have a "Dave's Famous BBQ" place here in Tucson. Its the closest I can get to Memphis. They play blues in the background and they will put coleslaw on you pulled pork sandwich. I have to go there every now and then for comfort food and atmosphere. Pretty pitiful when a chain restaurant is the closest you can get to home.

I once thought the only way to eat ribs was dripping with sauce, then I had some that were "Dry". Since then I have fallen in love with dry ribs. I'll occasionally go back to the wet ribs but I prefer them dry now. Sadly the best ribs I've had were at Smokey Bones. They have some good food. I just don't get there often enough and everyone else's ribs fall short. I had Damon's at the end of last year and their ribs were horrible. I'm glad I left my wife talk me into the half rack instead of the full rack.

KC style of course, although it really doesn't matter to me. Gates and Sons BBQ Extra Hot is my favorite sauce.

Memphis: not bad. But my favorite ever remains:

austin_020p.jpg

salt-lick-300.jpg

austin_026p.jpg

I've got a good friend that lives right around the corner from there. Gotta love the Salt Lick!

Stubbs down in Austin is also darned good: STUBB'S BAR-B-Q | COLD BEER + LIVE MUSIC

I love the Hard 8 over in Brady (they also have other locations, but Brady's my favorite) : Hard Eight BBQ

Over in Fort Worth, Angelo's is the best in town: Welcome to Angelos Great Texas Bar-B-Cue

I've got a good friend that lives right around the corner from there. Gotta love the Salt Lick!

Stubbs down in Austin is also darned good: STUBB'S BAR-B-Q | COLD BEER + LIVE MUSIC

I love the Hard 8 over in Brady (they also have other locations, but Brady's my favorite) : Hard Eight BBQ

Over in Fort Worth, Angelo's is the best in town: Welcome to Angelos Great Texas Bar-B-Cue

Thanks for the links. I know Stubbs, of course, but not the other two. I'll need to check these out when I'm back in Texas again!

Bobby flay and Tyler Florence both said that place was the best BBQ they have ever had as well. There is a new show on Food Network called "The best thing I ever had" (or some variation of that) and when they did BBQ The Salt Lick was the overall winner.

Cool. It's gotten a bit more commercial than it used to be (they've got a storefront in the Austin airport now!), but I stil love it. Wifey and I had our wedding reception there -- best_wedding_food_ever. For our anniversary one year, we had them ship us their vacuum-sealed, "family-style dinner" and we cooked it up on our BBQ for a bunch of our friends in DC. (Here's the order page.) It was great, but not as good as being there of course.

Back