Bending Wedges/Wedge Gapping

RStreit27

College Hack
Reaction score
Handicap
While getting more into golf this summer I've noticed that I have gapped my wedges quite poorly. I would love any help you guys had on how much/which clubs to bend. Here are my current specs:

PW Mizuno JPX-825 45? degree: 129-137 yds
GW Callaway Copper Forged 52 degree 10 degree bounce: 95-102 yds
SW Callaway Copper Forged 56 degree 11 degree bounce: 80-87 yds

As you can see I have quite the large gap between my PW and GW as far as distances go. I was pondering going with a 45-50-55-(and possibly 60) setup but I just got new wedges and hit them for 7-8 rounds before noticing this dilemma. On the other hand, I tend to take heavy divots with my wedges (a digger?) and strengthening my GW 2 degrees and SW 1 degree would cause me to lose bounce which seems to be necessary for a digger like me. Would you suggest weakening my PW to 47 degrees, keep my gap the way it is, and weaken my SW to 57 degrees?

Also, where would I be able to get this done and how much (appx.) would it cost?

Thanks for all your help!

Since you're thinking of possibly adding a 60, I'm assuming you have room for another club. I think a 48 would fit nicely with your setup and should provide that filler you need.

Well currently I have a 5 wood (225-235) and a hybrid (210-220) so the extra spot isn't really there but I was pondering possibly parting with the hybrid in favor of a lob wedge. However your suggestion has got me thinking again. Thanks for the tip I'll check it out!

Are you open too new wedges all together? I don't know if you can bend the 825's. I have always been under the impression that cast irons can not be bent and forged has that ability. With that said I would think starting from scratch would be ideal for you. 50-54-58 set up is what I would do personally, in fact that is what I am working on doing. Another option could be 49-53-57, Scor golf wedges have a number of lofts and I have seen that setup on the website.

The thing is I just bought these wedges a month ago and can't really validate buying 3 new wedges at the moment. I absolutely agree that starting over would be the best approach but I was looking for more of a quick fix/band aid to the situation.

What's your 8I distance? You dint seen to be a short player, but are struggling to get any distance out of your wedges. It might be worth looking into why you don't get more distance out of the current loft wedges.

What's your 8I distance? You dint seen to be a short player, but are struggling to get any distance out of your wedges. It might be worth looking into why you don't get more distance out of the current loft wedges.

I hit my 8 iron 145-153. Any idea as to what could be causing the lack of distance?

Back