Best 3 Wood of 2024

outlawx

23 GOAT Finley/ 24 WWGC Smooth criminal
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright gents talk to me about your favorite 3 wood for this release cycle. I’m in the market for a new one and want to build a short list of ones for a fitting at Edwin watts based on your feedback.

What I am really interested in learning is what your swing is and how the woods are working for you. Also curious about ball speed retention, shot shape correction, and how you’d like the stock shaft offerings.

Mods: I know we have individual club threads but I wanted to make an aggregate 2024 thread.

Supposedly the darkspeed is a other level of good.

Ai Smoke Triple Diamond. It is the best 3w I've ever hit. Great shape and sound. Incredible ball speed retention across the face for a "players" 3w. I have not seen a tendency for it to move one way or the other. I can hit a fade when I need to, but I mostly like to hit it straight away. It's easy to hit off the deck or tee.

I am not playing a stock shaft in it. I am playing a Ventus TR Black with the 15* playing at 14* and shorter than standard shaft.

With this head/shaft combo it's the first 3w I've been able effectively flight it down consistently.

Alright gents talk to me about your favorite 3 wood for this release cycle. I’m in the market for a new one and want to build a short list of ones for a fitting at Edwin watts based on your feedback.

What I am really interested in learning is what your swing is and how the woods are working for you. Also curious about ball speed retention, shot shape correction, and how you’d like the stock shaft offerings.

Mods: I know we have individual club threads but I wanted to make an aggregate 2024 thread.
My Mizuno ST-MAX 3w won me CTTP at the WWG championship.
Should have seen it. Drew in so nice, it bring a tear to your eye.

TBH - Like some other releases were people say the Fairway is actually better than the driver, that might apply here as well.
I've had better success with the 3w than the driver.
Additionally it's been the best 3W off the deck that I've used since the TEE EX10 Beta

Good luck in your search sir! As soon as I see or hear 3 wood I move on. I have not been able to hit a 3 wood since the NY Jets won a Super Bowl.

Good luck in your search sir! As soon as I see or hear 3 wood I move on. I have not been able to hit a 3 wood since the NY Jets won a Super Bowl.
Farrah Fawcett Vintage GIF

My 33 yr old son, who must not have my golf genes because his driver ball speed is 170+, says the Cobra Darkspeed and Callaway AI Smoke are the best he's hit, and he has a Hzrdus Black in it. He needs spin so I think he went 16.5 and reduced it to 15.5. Don't know if I have that correct because pidly me plays a Paradym 16.5 or Ping G430 3 wd with a regular flex low kick shaft... lol.

Cleveland HyWood 3+. I got mine with a bit heavier shaft than stock, and the thing is easy to hit and goes straight. I bought it before getting fitted, and when I went in for a fairway fitting nothing beat it - tried Darkspeed, G430Max, AI Smoke, and even Cleveland's regular 3W. The HyWood was as long and way more consistent. ymmv but worth a try. BUT, the stock shaft is pretty light so take that into consideration depending on your swing.

Would have never thought I would own a ping club, but the fitting results that put me into my G430 3W couldn't be ignored. I absolutely love that club. I am not a long hitter off the tee so this club has become a weapon for me on par 5s

Really hoping it's the darkspeed, and really enjoyed my time hitting them so far.

I was at Edwin watts two weeks ago looking at the same thing. After trying several 3 woods, found a Paradym + 3HL (4 wood) in the used bin that looked never to have been hit before. Better more consistency launch and carry. Extremely forgiving on off center hits. Higher average distance. Several other models had longer individual shots, but their averages were lower.
Just something to consider.

My favorite this year is qi10, but they’re all good.

AI Smoke Max and it's not even close. I didn't think anything could be better than the Paradym X and I was wrong.

I loved the stock shaft I got with it Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75, but I'm loving the Linq White 6F4 I put in it.

Shot shape for me? It's straight as an arrow, maybe a bit of a baby fade. It's forgiving as anything I've ever hit. Some of them off the toe still get me 200 yards at times which blew my mind.

I'm a bit of an odd duck, my driver game suffers - distance wise and losing spin, but my 3 wood swing has always been solid so I play this thing off the tee a lot just to find a fairway.

Doesn't exist...every 3w is going to lack in something for someone.

The cobras are good but they launch low.

The Callaways are good but they're shallow and the triple diamonds don't match dispersion of other models.

TM could be stellar if they ever put an adjustable hosel on the non-LS model.

I played my TaylorMade R7 until it developed a crack in the hosel. Replaced it with an M6 and absolutely love it. I'd say to try whatever TaylorMade is putting out!

Don’t overlook the BRNR Mini. Really high ball speeds. Easy to elevate. You get a lot of adjustablilty through the hosel and weight movement. The stock shaft is good, but the LINQ blue really woke it up.

Also, look at Cobra Darkspeed and Cleveland Launcher. These are the best for your buck options.

Don’t overlook the BRNR Mini. Really high ball speeds. Easy to elevate. You get a lot of adjustablilty through the hosel and weight movement. The stock shaft is good, but the LINQ blue really woke it up.

Also, look at Cobra Darkspeed and Cleveland Launcher. These are the best for your buck options.
Can you hit the burner off the turf?

My Mizuno ST-MAX 3w won me CTTP at the WWG championship.
Should have seen it. Drew in so nice, it bring a tear to your eye.

TBH - Like some other releases were people say the Fairway is actually better than the driver, that might apply here as well.
I've had better success with the 3w than the driver.
Additionally it's been the best 3W off the deck that I've used since the TEE EX10 Beta
This was also top of my preliminary testing stack. None of the stock shafts seem like my jam though.

Can you hit the burner off the turf?
It is dumb easy to do. Just remember, it’s a fairway wood, swing down on it. Even my 11.5 BRNR elevates easy.

For me it’s the Mizuno STG TI. It’s a mini driver for me as well. I have it turned down a notch and it’s money. I love it off the deck or the tee and go to it when I’m driver struggling.

But there are many to play with.
BRNR Mini
Ai Smokes ( I like the triple diamond but the others are good)
QI 10
Darkspeed X

I’m sure there are others. But as someone who struggled with hitting a fairway wood off the turf, the Mizuno STG is a beast.

Back