Best Ball for Mid-Handicap?

Another for the mix - TopFlite Gamer from Dicks Sporting Goods is a nice all purpose ball

Chrome Soft Practice selling for $15 a dozen online.

I tend to buy mint ProV1s from one of the places like lostgolfballs. I don't think I've ever actually gotten a used one. Most of them are just logo overruns but new balls.

But I'm a fan of the DTC model for golf balls too so I've tried most of them. I seriously fell in love with the Snell MTB Black until they became unavailable. Terrible what happened to them during the pandemic. I'm anxiously awaiting the new generation.

But in the meantime I've become extremely fond of the Seed SD-05 (the soft one). I played through a couple dozen and loved them (gave a bunch away because others wanted to try them too). Last week they ran a promo for 4 dozen for $100 so I jumped on that. Supposed to be delivered today. :cool:

Haven't tried Quantix yet. One of these days...

I say all that to encourage you to not fear the DTC brands just because you haven't heard of them. Many times there will be a review thread here at THP. And sometimes MGS will do their lab test on them as well. In fact, I was about to try the Sugar balls until I read the MGS lab report. YIKES!

Another vote for the Maxfli Tour/Tour X/Tour S. $35, often on sale, and DSG is pretty free with the $10 off coupons. Comparable to the more expensive urethane balls at a lot less. I also like the SuperSoft. Buddy plays the Fairway ball and likes it, another is a big fan of the Vice stuff. Lots of great options for "budget" performance balls these days.

Titleist Velocity, thank me later.

I like the Velocity in the warm weather. Feels good for a firm ball. For every time the ball releases too much, there are other occasions where it releases to the hole when coming up a little short. As a high capper, the latter scenario happens more often.

Another for the mix - TopFlite Gamer from Dicks Sporting Goods is a nice all purpose ball

Deal right now for 2 for $30. For $15/doz. the Gamer is a good ball. I have my son play it. He's 6'3". The 3 pc. ionomer cover really cuts down his slice to a nice baby fade. Good distance and performance around the green for someone who's looking for better performance from a 2pc ball but don't really need or is looking for the extra spin from a urethane covered ball.

Back