Best gaming laptop ( techie help only please )

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
In techie computer help, what is the best gaming laptop for under $2000? Today is cyber Monday and want to go on the search with some good ammo

im way way way out of the loop on electronics

thank you

Alienware 17
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro
HP Omen

there is no such thing as a gaming laptop, get a real pc if you want to play games

there is no such thing as a gaming laptop, get a real pc if you want to play games

Agreed. I bought a Xidax PC last year instead of a laptop for a workhorse machine that can run whatever I want, and it's been awesome.

In techie computer help, what is the best gaming laptop for under $2000? Today is cyber Monday and want to go on the search with some good ammo

im way way way out of the loop on electronics

thank you

Is there a reason why you would like to go with a laptop over a PC?

If you can avoid going the laptop route, I would definitely suggest building your own or having one built for you. You will get much better performance for your money spent.

There certainly are such things as gaming laptops. Alienware is one example, but since they were taken over by Dell, I found their quality has gone down.

The two problems with laptops and high end gaming is that they produce a lot of heat. The GPUs need a lot of ventilation and sometimes the casing for laptops are inadequate. The other problem is upgradeability, but now, the need for this is slowly declining unless you HAVE to have the latest and greatest.

The last and arguably most important thing is cost. Gaming laptops are very expensive for what you get compared to their PC counterparts.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...ptops-top-5-gaming-notebooks-reviewed-1258471

Thanks guys .. Same thing Best Buy employee told me. I really have no room for a desktop rig. Won't ask again , the laptops and iPads just aren't meant for gaming.

he pointed me to a Xbox one, and I'm going to get the golf club game.

Thanks guys .. Same thing Best Buy employee told me. I really have no room for a desktop rig. Won't ask again , the laptops and iPads just aren't meant for gaming.

he pointed me to a Xbox one, and I'm going to get the golf club game.

Going from a ~$2000 gaming laptop to an Xbox One (or any console for that matter) is a rather large decline in performance. You could easily build a very small PC (I think it's Micro ATX or Mini ITX) that would take up about the same amount of space as a laptop. You could also run your PC using your television as your monitor.

Xbox One is a great piece of technology, however it's just not going to even come close to a gaming PC with regards to performance.

Id disagree with the Alienware recommendations, not worth the money. I know because I own an M17x and paid an insane amount of money for something that weighs 20lbs (not an exaggeration), absolutely kills your legs if you tried to sit with it, battery life is a joke even on power saver (45mins tops). Dont get me wrong it's a badass setup but id never do it again. You can get similar specs elsewhere for much cheaper and more convenient if going for a laptop or "mobile desktop"

Going from a ~$2000 gaming laptop to an Xbox One (or any console for that matter) is a rather large decline in performance. You could easily build a very small PC (I think it's Micro ATX or Mini ITX) that would take up about the same amount of space as a laptop. You could also run your PC using your television as your monitor.

Xbox One is a great piece of technology, however it's just not going to even come close to a gaming PC with regards to performance.

Disagree completely.

Yes, you're correct that an Xbox one can't achieve the 300 fps that a tricked-out $2000 gaming desktop can.

However, consoles achieve consistent smooth performance (network lag excepted). It doesn't matter that you're only running COD at 45 fps, because that's what every other console owner is running it at as well.

In short, all the extra performance you can get from a PC makes exactly zero difference to a console owner. Additionally, consoles are now typically the first target market for many game manufacturers. PC's are often their third priority in terms of development effort. Now, don't misunderstand me - if someone enjoys PC gaming, by all means, get a PC. However, one can be quite content owning nothing but a console for gaming.

FYI...this is what I bought my kids for gaming:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T7XRGGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

They've been happy with it thus far.

Disagree completely.

Yes, you're correct that an Xbox one can't achieve the 300 fps that a tricked-out $2000 gaming desktop can.

However, consoles achieve consistent smooth performance (network lag excepted). It doesn't matter that you're only running COD at 45 fps, because that's what every other console owner is running it at as well.

In short, all the extra performance you can get from a PC makes exactly zero difference to a console owner. Additionally, consoles are now typically the first target market for many game manufacturers. PC's are often their third priority in terms of development effort. Now, don't misunderstand me - if someone enjoys PC gaming, by all means, get a PC. However, one can be quite content owning nothing but a console for gaming.
I'll also add that it depends on what games someone is wanting to play. I have multiple buddies with wicked pc setups and they can't even play some of the newer games like Cod at max settings because it's buggy as hell. So one would be pretty disappointed to spend a ton and expect to have a flawless experience only to find they couldn't even play at the settings they were hoping for or paid for.

Disagree completely.

I think you need to be experiencing them both at the same time (or near the same time) to really understand why PC is superior, but it's not something I've ever really concerned myself with. Considering how impressive console gaming has become, I'm not worried about the reduced frame rate if I am playing destiny or call of duty.

Disagree completely.

I never said that one wouldn't be happy with a console. But it's my assumption that if someone is looking at a $2000 gaming laptop, that one is interested in high performance (graphics) with regards to gaming.

I don't know of too many PC guys that worry about hitting 300 fps, they worry more about how much detail and at what resolution they can play their games at. A high end PC/laptop, like the OP was originally talking about would be able to run double the resolution and with better texture quality than Xbox and PS4 games and most likely at equal to or higher frames per second.

I've got absolutely nothing against consoles, I own both an Xbox One and a PS4 and I love them. However, PC's outpace consoles with regards to performance, and by a pretty large margin when you are talking about a $2000 laptop/pc.

I never said that one wouldn't be happy with a console. But it's my assumption that if someone is looking at a $2000 gaming laptop, that one is interested in high performance (graphics) with regards to gaming.

I don't know of too many PC guys that worry about hitting 300 fps, they worry more about how much detail and at what resolution they can play their games at. A high end PC/laptop, like the OP was originally talking about would be able to run double the resolution and with better texture quality than Xbox and PS4 games and most likely at equal to or higher frames per second.

I've got absolutely nothing against consoles, I own both an Xbox One and a PS4 and I love them. However, PC's outpace consoles with regards to performance, and by a pretty large margin when you are talking about a $2000 laptop/pc.

Agreed with all of this.. It is all about the experience you want. If you enjoy FPS games (C)D, BF, etc.) or sports games.. The user base is muuuuuch bigger on consoles. Plus, I prefer controller to mouse and keyboard.

Agreed with all of this.. It is all about the experience you want. If you enjoy FPS games (C)D, BF, etc.) or sports games.. The user base is muuuuuch bigger on consoles. Plus, I prefer controller to mouse and keyboard.
Edit: nvm read it wrong haha. Carry on

How is the user base muuuuuuuuch bigger? Certain games don't have anywhere near the numbers on PC vs console. Hardline being a perfect example, its basically dead on pc but still thriving on xbox

I said the user base is much bigger on consoles...

Agreed, there is no right or wrong answer with regards to what someone chooses to play. I was just surprised that someone would go from looking at a $2000 gaming laptop to a console as they are two completely different experiences.

I said the user base is much bigger on consoles...
Hahaha did you edit? My bad I guess I completely over looked it. I for some reason read it as pc was much more populated vs console. My fault sir

Hahaha did you edit? My bad I guess I completely over looked it. I for some reason read it as pc was much more populated vs console. My fault sir

I did not hahahha

No worries

My best laptop till now is the lenovo Y50, features 15.6-Inch, Intel Core i7-4720HQ2.6 GHz,1TB 5400RPM,8GB DDR3,GeForce GTX 960M 2GB DDR5

Back