Best golf “tip” you ever received… and why..?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
What is the best golf “tip” you ever received… and why it’s the best..?

Probably, from a foundational standpoint, it was a grip change that someone was kind enough to show me. When I started out years & years ((and years) ago… I had both thumbs straight down on the shaft. Someone showed me how to lay my bottom thumb over the shaft - and voila - a better grip was found! Many thanks to the one who cared to share!

“You’re you, stop trying to play like them.”

I was constantly trying to play like the better players I was around. Learning to not be influenced by others around me and playing within my skill set and game has been a big help in me improving

“Putt to gimmes”

Learn from green to tee. Given on THP in probably my first ever post.

You don’t need to keep your head down it’s Ok to move your head. I think my grandpa was well meaning and was a good player.

He definitely did not keep his head down, but feel and real. He was convinced he did and taught me the same.

Not sure any one tip from an outside source should be on a list of keepsakes but some have earned staying power for sure. I like to think tips, those drawn through our own discovery and work, are the ones we really own and at that point they're not tips, they're us.

Way back in my beginnings of golf. 1980s

An instructor, knowing I was pretty good at baseball, told me on the down swing, to swing the club head to right field. This, assuming I was aligned through 2nd base, into center field.

This gave me a visual of the correct swing path into the back of the ball.

Several years later I read in a new golf book to swing the club head to 1st base. 2007.

Missing a GIR is not the end of the world. Just get on the green on the next shot and one or two putt and at the end of the day you’ll break 90. ( that’s assuming you take care of business on the GIRs you do get.)Went from a 20 to 13.7 in 2 years using that mind set.

Get good at your worst shots.

I'm in the trees and tall grass a lot, so I had to learn how to hit out of them and advance the ball.

I was once told it’s a golf swing not a golf hit. Helps me with tempo and to stop trying to overswing to hit the ball farther.

"You shouldn't drink so much.".... I don't know if it was necessarily about my golf game, but it was said to me on the golf course 🤣

“Pretend there is a stake in the ground right next to your pinky toe. Try to drive the butt of the club into that stake on the downswing. Then as you do it just turn and fully release the club head.” “That release feel is block the rain then catch the rain”

This swing feel allowed me to actually play golf years and years ago. I still use it. Mr Cooper Osborne.

I was paired up with and old guy several years ago. I was wild off the tee that day. He was only play nine holes. On the 9th tee he told me that my swing mechanics were good, but my backswing was too fast to let things happen.

He told me to use the same tempo on my backswing that I'd use if I was fly fishing.

I absolutely striped my tee and approach shot. To this day, my main swing thought is a 2-word phrase on my backswing to keep it smooth.

“Putt to gimmes”
I do that, which is why I rarely 3-putt. However, I also feel I don't make as many putts as I should by doing that. 🤷‍♂️

I think the best "tip" I got was to not work on getting my best shots better, but to work on getting my worst shots better. I am only going to be so good on the better side, but improvement will come from minimizing or lessening the gap between the best and worst shots.

Bring my hands more inside. It forced more hip rotation and gave me more consistent contact with my irons. And more distance

Went to a 3 day golf school which was life changing in itself but within that camp after lunch we would go on course and play with the instructors.
One told me after few holes that I needed a "50 yard shot". Basically as a rec. golfer I wasn't always going to be on the GIR and I needed to be better from 50 on in...He said pick one club and figure out that 50 yard swing (for me that was a 50 degree gap wedge and the swing was basically a 9 to 3). Once I figured it out he had me practice varying distances. Then as we got in closer to chipping distances he suggested practicing 3 ball flights: high-mid-low also with the same club.

Scores got lower fast.. If my putter gets hot I can get up and down a lot for par after missing the GIR.
For me one of the best tips ever.

Everything starts from a solid setup.

Learned that in my first lesson with a new pro after taking a few pretty sorry lessons from someone else. I fought a banana slice for years and the first pro wanted to rebuild me from the ground up in a way that was literally painful for my back. The second pro wanted to work with what I had after spending the first 10 mins of the lesson asking me what I wanted to accomplish. Turns out my shoulders were pointed well left of target so I had no choice but to cut across the ball. That one tip had immediate impact on my game from that point forward.

Back