Best Orchestral Film Score

YukonLiving

Team Hackers
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know THP’ers are avid moviegoers, and this was something I’ve been pondering.

What is your favourite movie theme song performed by a full orchestra?

There are plenty of amazing options out there… Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Schindler’s List… but what is yours?

For me, it’s Indiana Jones. I get shivers through my body every time I hear it. Doesn’t matter if it’s a full professional ensemble, or a street corner performer.

In my opinion, the Indiana Jones theme is the pinnacle of movie music.

Oh wow
Raiders of the Lost Arc and the original Superman movies still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. John Williams is a god!

Oh wow
Raiders of the Lost Arc and the original Superman movies still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. John Williams is a god!
Superman! Yes! Another phenomenal score!

Completely agree with you about John Williams. Such beautiful talent.

Jurrasic Park is pretty special. But, think about "Thus Spake Zarathustra"

How long has it lasted since it's introduction to our consciousness! What sort of genius did this!!

Last edited:
What about Rocky!

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

It's Jurassic Park.

Blade Runner 2049 is different but pretty incredible in its own right.

How long has it lasted since it's introduction to our conscionsnous! What sort of genius did this!!

I was gonna suggest Richard Strauss. John Williams is brilliant and an obvious choice that can’t be argued.

I’d also mention The Magnificent Seven. Back in the day, Henry Mancini was the John Williams of his era with hits including The Pink Panther and Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Moon River.)

Another John Williams effort I really enjoy is Rudy. The scores in that movie just go perfectly with the story.

Gladiator

Single theme song I’d have to go Jurassic Park. Full movie score I’d go Gladiator.

How long has it lasted since it's introduction to our conscionsnous! What sort of genius did this!!
An absolute masterpiece by Richard Strauss!

The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Great music. I had it running through my head the entire time I visited Hobbiton in New Zealand. Especially that tin whistle…

Last edited:

Yes, that’s a great intro. Cut from the ape with bones to outer space…

Another John Williams effort I really enjoy is Rudy. The scores in that movie just go perfectly with the story.
Man, I watched Rudy so many times on hockey trips sitting in the bus… good call. Inspirational.

Yes, that’s a great intro. Cut from the ape with bones to outer space…

I didn't fully appreciate the movie until I read the book. Completely opened up a bunch of stuff.

Single theme song I’d have to go Jurassic Park. Full movie score I’d go Gladiator.
I love the Jurassic Park theme. Gets me choked up hearing it.

I need to watch and rewatch some of these movies. Harry Potter is the one that stands out to me as I actually listen to that soundtrack to quiet my mind. I grew up reading the books and John Williams was a huge part of bringing the books to life on the big screen.

Braveheart is a very good score. One of the best parts of the movie actually.

Gustav holst …. The planets , ( George Solti )

has been sampled and used in countless movies ) beautiful music

Star Wars , opening theme first few bars … and. We know , the world knows …..

Back