Best players distance iron

So what are the numbers for offset, sole width,VCOG and top line that determines players distance vs GI irons
Thats a matter of opinion. I would consider a VCOG of greater than .75" to be out of the GI category.
Top line thickness is a visual matter, but if you really think about it thick top lines actually raise VCOG.... but with wide GI soles the thickness is needed to raise VCOG.
When 6 iron offset gets under .15" you are out of GI and into players distance.
Thats my take on it. I am sure there will be many dissenters.

To me the common denominator with all the offerings is the combination of forgiving, hot and not a huge amount of offset.

One of the things I think that is muddying the waters in this category is there are really two ways people come into “player’s distance” irons. People coming from GI/SGI clubs and people coming from blades and players cavity back irons. Companies are trying to cater to both of these groups with multiple offerings. Titleist has the 200 for those moving smaller and less offset and the 150 for those moving bigger and hotter. Same thing with TaylorMade and the 790 & 770.
I for sure went down the GI->Players Distance ->Players CB route. Went from a T300 to a P790 and now in Pro 243. This progression has been beneficial for me as each step along the way I hit that uncomfortable period where I wasn't quite good enough to be proficient in the next set of irons, but it accelerated my growth having to play up to the equipment. However I think the big differentiator in these between the GI irons and the players distance guys is spin. GI Irons "generally" promote way less spin in my experience.

P790 is the OG and its VERY forgiving (probably the most forgiving in this segment), Mizuno 245 best for feel, but overall I would say the ultimate Players distance set right now is probably a combo set of T150s - T200s.
Actually, the P790s are not the OG. PXG sued TaylorMade for patent infringement when TaylorMade released the P790s. The P790s were very similar in many ways to PXGs hollow body, substance filled irons. Also, as has been mentioned in the thread, there were others that predated the PXG irons. I would say, though, that the P790s were what truly captured the attention of the masses and lit the fire for this category of irons.

Honma TW-X. Fantastic looks, and absolute rocket launchers with the feel of a forged blade.

The new ping i530’s beat out t200’s, taylormade 770/790, mizuno hot metal, callaway ai, srixon zx5 and tour edge c series for me

I was really impressed by the new Miura IC-602 irons!

thoughts and thoughts..

T200.

Not sure what is considered that but Apex 21s I believe are and those are awesome.

The new ping i530’s beat out t200’s, taylormade 770/790, mizuno hot metal, callaway ai, srixon zx5 and tour edge c series for me
In what way did they outperform?

Back