Best players distance iron

SMS needs to be in this conversation.

What makes Apex not GI?
Sorry for the late reply, had funeral crap to do.

Apex is not GI iron because they have the DCB and other irons families that fill that space.
I see the Apex and the Apex pros in the same category, 1 closer to the player's side and the other closer to GI, but that close.
I don't see the Apex line, except for the DCB as GI.
This year, that goes to the new smoke line.
Also, the lines of each category of irons is blurred.

To simplify, how about if the "7I" has 30⁰ or less if loft it's a "distance iron". The. We can look at offset, sole width, VCOG and top line to figure weather its a players distance or a GI distance....

On a side note, I never thought of irons in terms of distance, but more as accuracy and control clubs.

Sorry for the late reply, had funeral crap to do.

Apex is not GI iron because they have the DCB and other irons families that fill that space.
I see the Apex and the Apex pros in the same category, 1 closer to the player's side and the other closer to GI, but that close.
I don't see the Apex line, except for the DCB as GI.
This year, that goes to the new smoke line.
Also, the lines of each category of irons is blurred.
traditionally the Apex have been more forgiving, longer, and lower spin than the pros.

Just as I think MBs and CBs can be players irons in that lineup, I see the ability for more than one head to be in the GI realm. The DCB is a strong expansion of it.

This has been a fun read.
We're agreeing way too much lately-- we need experiences stat.

To the thread- I'm so confused as to what categories irons fall into these days that I don't even try to classify.

In theory most were producing a hollow body iron already. Cleveland was most likely first in the modern lineups with the MT and rebirth of 588
I had never seen these irons. They came out during my 7 year hiatus from golf (which I will always regret). They definitely have the hallmarks of the later introduced hollow body irons, including that they were hollow body. 😂. I saw that I could even pick up a set for around $280. It might be a fun experiment.

traditionally the Apex have been more forgiving, longer, and lower spin than the pros.

Just as I think MBs and CBs can be players irons in that lineup, I see the ability for more than one head to be in the GI realm. The DCB is a strong expansion of it.
I like this definition.

We're agreeing way too much lately-- we need experiences stat.

To the thread- I'm so confused as to what categories irons fall into these days that I don't even try to classify.
Or a head to head match to settle all our debates :D

I'll bring my players distance irons and you can bring yours. I don't even know what's currently in your bag but based off this thread we can claim it!

To me the common denominator with all the offerings is the combination of forgiving, hot and not a huge amount of offset.

One of the things I think that is muddying the waters in this category is there are really two ways people come into “player’s distance” irons. People coming from GI/SGI clubs and people coming from blades and players cavity back irons. Companies are trying to cater to both of these groups with multiple offerings. Titleist has the 200 for those moving smaller and less offset and the 150 for those moving bigger and hotter. Same thing with TaylorMade and the 790 & 770.

To me the common denominator with all the offerings is the combination of forgiving, hot and not a huge amount of offset.

One of the things I think that is muddying the waters in this category is there are really two ways people come into “player’s distance” irons. People coming from GI/SGI clubs and people coming from blades and players cavity back irons. Companies are trying to cater to both of these groups with multiple offerings. Titleist has the 200 for those moving smaller and less offset and the 150 for those moving bigger and hotter. Same thing with TaylorMade and the 790 & 770.
Good points.

Me too. Love my ZX5s 🔥

I am contemplating using my VGA discount on some MkII's but part of me wants to put my money where my mouth is and go with the Dynapower Forged (Wilson has a good military/veteran discount as well)

I am contemplating using my VGA discount on some MkII's but part of me wants to put my money where my mouth is and go with the Dynapower Forged (Wilson has a good military/veteran discount as well)
Do that and post lots of pictures of the Wilsons

That's how I bought mine. That 30% discount adds up nicely

Do that and post lots of pictures of the Wilsons

i really liked the D9 Forged so I don't feel like this is a gamble on my part but i also LOVE Srixon.

Would you say in your mind, it's MB/CBs and then it goes to a GI iron, like it's a giant category that many many clubs can fit into it. Then SGI's?
Therefore, a Players distance club is a GI since it's not a MB/CB. If so, I get down with this.
I want to make sure I'm following you correctly.

Would you say in your mind, it's MB/CBs and then it goes to a GI iron, like it's a giant category that many many clubs can fit into it. Then SGI's?
Therefore, a Players distance club is a GI since it's not a MB/CB. If so, I get down with this.
I want to make sure I'm following you correctly.
That's where I think it get SO muddied.

If the club has "pro" in it, can it really be a game improvement iron?

They aren't officially "players distance" but I don't particularly buy into all these categories anyway. From clubs I have hit, I think the ZX7 and MP 243 both have plenty of distance pop and feel awesome! Clubs like ZX5, for me, don't go any further, just launch higher. I also really like the MP 245, a club that is harder yet for me to categorize.

That's where I think it get SO muddied.

If the club has "pro" in it, can it really be a game improvement iron?
If it is forgiving enough for most players, sure. GI irons I think forgiving not distance as the main aspect.
But I'm old, I know that's not how it is in real life.
Just like if it says forged, it's better than not using the word. But that's for another thread.

FWIW Callaway refers to the Apex as a player's distance iron and the Apex pro as a player's performance iron.

I’m not sure any other OEM uses the latter term. I would think clubs like the t150 or p770 would be in the same category.

T150 is a funny one because it is very similar to the T100 but with stronger lofts but not really what I think of as a distance iron.

To simplify, how about if the "7I" has 30⁰ or less if loft it's a "distance iron". The. We can look at offset, sole width, VCOG and top line to figure weather its a players distance or a GI distance....
So what are the numbers for offset, sole width,VCOG and top line that determines players distance vs GI irons

P790 is the OG and its VERY forgiving (probably the most forgiving in this segment), Mizuno 245 best for feel, but overall I would say the ultimate Players distance set right now is probably a combo set of T150s - T200s.

FWIW Callaway refers to the Apex as a player's distance iron and the Apex pro as a player's performance iron.

I’m not sure any other OEM uses the latter term. I would think clubs like the t150 or p770 would be in the same category.

T150 is a funny one because it is very similar to the T100 but with stronger lofts but not really what I think of as a distance iron.
What's funny is on CPO the Apex shows up for both "Player Performance" and "Game Improvement." And Apex DCB only shows up for the later.

What's funny is on CPO the Apex shows up for both "Player Performance" and "Game Improvement." And Apex DCB only shows up for the later.
MBs also show up in player performance and they don’t have a player’s distance.

Back