Between the ears stuff

mycle

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been "improving" my swing lately and am introducing some new concepts to my brain, like the A swing takeaway, keeping the club within plane throughout, tempo etc. Its a lot to do in 4 seconds!

I played a round last week and beforehand, I was striping every club including 3 wood, with which I tee off. On the screws!

The big problem I had was at the first tee, as I approached the ball, I became clueless, I could not recall any of the form I needed to repeat what was going on on the practice tee. Just numb. It took about half a round to get my balance.

Any thoughts on this? I suspect it is common.

Just need more practice playing. For me, on the first tee, I find the best thing to do is just get up there and go.

I'm guessing here; maybe too many swing thoughts...

I have two swing thoughts when I play. My first is always weight-transfer/balance, which seems like two but for me it's one thought. My second swing thought depends on the day, how I feel about my swing, how loose I am, what I realized while warming up. Regardless, for me it's always weight-transfer/balance plus one.

I've found that if I think too much about my swing, my game goes south. Trust what you've practiced.

Have to relax and not think swing and trust what you have been working on. Read Dr. Bob Rotella's books to help with this

Thinking is for the driving range, practice round or practice. Once I hit the 1st tee for a round of golf I just let it happen. Don't try to make it happen, just let it happen.

The hardest part of any swing changes and improvements is getting your body and brain to accept them as the new "normal". In my case it took almost a full year before the new stuff felt natural at all and even then I would revert under serious pressure.
Just keep working at it and it comes eventually. The best thing you can do in the meantime is try to keep your brain empty on the teebox.

The hardest part of any swing changes and improvements is getting your body and brain to accept them as the new "normal". In my case it took almost a full year before the new stuff felt natural at all and even then I would revert under serious pressure.
Just keep working at it and it comes eventually. The best thing you can do in the meantime is try to keep your brain empty on the teebox.

This is one of the wisest things posted about swing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone else said, thinking is for the range, once I get to the first tee the only thought I have is before I address the ball I tell myself to follow thru. Other than that I don't think about anything.

Like some of the other guys have said, leave the swing thoughts at the range. Once you step on the tee box you just have to trust the groove you were in at the range. On the tee box it's just: see ball, hit ball. Golf is hard and the weakest part of most of our games is our mind.

Great advice all the way around. I have found that if I just swing it, things seem to take care of themselves. Hard to let go sometimes but I guess that's what its all about.
Trust.

Back