Bridgestone J40 Cavity Back Irons

If tonight's range session was any indication. This will be fun

After my range session this evening, I've decided to put the J40 combo set in the bag for this weekend. Apex will sit on the sideline for the moment. I love the KBS Tour pairing with J40s. Dispersion is tight, feel is there, and my confidence is growing as I get more familiar with them.

After my range session this evening, I've decided to put the J40 combo set in the bag for this weekend. Apex will sit on the sideline for the moment. I love the KBS Tour pairing with J40s. Dispersion is tight, feel is there, and my confidence is growing as I get more familiar with them.
I was hitting these side by side with the Apex Pro....the dispersion is much tighter with the J40. Granted its a completely different head shaft combo. I know when you absolutely pure a few in a row, it becomes a inner giggle fest.

I hit two 4 irons tonight that made me do exactly that.....giggle. One was a par 3 172 to 8 feet. Never left the pin. Just laughed.

JM

I was hitting these side by side with the Apex Pro....the dispersion is much tighter with the J40. Granted its a completely different head shaft combo. I know when you absolutely pure a few in a row, it becomes a inner giggle fest.

haha I like that--inner giggle fest. I think the tighter dispersion for me can be partly attributed to the shaft pairing.

I hit two 4 irons tonight that made me do exactly that.....giggle. One was a par 3 172 to 8 feet. Never left the pin. Just laughed.

JM
What's a 4 iron? But I too have had giggle worthy moments with a J40 in hand.

Oops! Thought I was in the DPC thread, but at least they are Bridgestone! :act-up:

JM

What's a 4 iron? But I too have had giggle worthy moments with a J40 in hand.

HAHA, I haven't hit one for quite a while, but the 5 was so nice I took a chance on the 4 and I think it might just be a big winner for me.

JM

Just an amazing set of irons. It's hard to decide since I have both the CB' and DPC's which one to game. Love them both.

Loved these. They did exactly what I wanted all weekend and fit perfectly in with the DPCs in the combo set I gamed at the Morgan Cup. The white ferules were a fantastic touch as well, paired with the S400 shafts. These are locked into the gamer bag for a while!

ra9ahe4y.jpg

Those are just beautiful Dan.

Oh these are a blast to hit! I can't wait to get them in the course.....can't freaking wait!

I wish I could have made it out to see you hit these. Kevin. I bet it was some site to see.

Spent time with these on both the course and the range today. Some interesting things happened. The long irons are as long as my Apex, 4-6 are just beastly. Where I'm concerned is the short irons, 8-PW are short. Not a couple yards I'm talking a full club maybe a little more. My normal 9 iron is 148-152, these I'm looking at a loss of 10 yards. Not sure why either. PW is 135 max....a little concerned that it's an Indian issue.

Spent time with these on both the course and the range today. Some interesting things happened. The long irons are as long as my Apex, 4-6 are just beastly. Where I'm concerned is the short irons, 8-PW are short. Not a couple yards I'm talking a full club maybe a little more. My normal 9 iron is 148-152, these I'm looking at a loss of 10 yards. Not sure why either. PW is 135 max....a little concerned that it's an Indian issue.

Do you have the Apex or Apex Pros?

J40 cb pw is 47° but cant see how that would make that much difference... Might wanna get the loft checked? Forged clubs to get bent out of specs over time...

Wish this little Indian had a problem like that. I would take those distances in a second.

Pros with X100 shafts

I spent some time with the Apex 3 vs the DPC 3 yesterday on the range with my Swing Caddie and was seeing pretty similar distances. I'm still dialing things in, but I think I'm hitting scoring mid to short irons a little shorter than my Apex/Pros. Maybe close to a club shorter. The Apex Pros are about 2-2.5 stronger lofted than the J40s so that's about half a club there. I just think the Apex Pros are looonnngg thought in general.

I've seen the same issue and it started down in Myrtle. I was reaching for a full club more than I was used to. Had all the lofts checked with my Amp Cell Pros and they were all the same. But my normal 8 iron is 150 and with the CB's I had to reach for the 7 from 150. Not sure what the issue is but I'll have to spend some more time to see if I wasn't striking the ball well or what.

I've seen the same issue and it started down in Myrtle. I was reaching for a full club more than I was used to. Had all the lofts checked with my Amp Cell Pros and they were all the same. But my normal 8 iron is 150 and with the CB's I had to reach for the 7 from 150. Not sure what the issue is but I'll have to spend some more time to see if I wasn't striking the ball well or what.

While these may be a little shorter than my Apex, the distance control for the J40s has been spot on. It's been super easy for me to take 3/4 swings with the J40s and control the ball flight and distance.

While these may be a little shorter than my Apex, the distance control for the J40s has been spot on. It's been super easy for me to take 3/4 swings with the J40s and control the ball flight and distance.

I completely agree. I've had zero issues flighting the ball with either the DPC's or CB's and have no issues taking 3/4 swings or knock down swings. Just need to get used to distances is all. Also saw the same thing Kevin was talking about in that the DPC distance was spot on to what I'm used to but the CB was shorter. Which I ordered the CB's bent strong and they were. Maybe just need a little more bending and I'll be all set?

glad I found this thread....I recently purchased a combo set brand new, 4-6 are dpc and 7-pw are cb. Shafts are the Project X Flighted 5.0. I am a 6.6 handicap but have only been playing for 2 years and 1 month. Previously playing Taylormade Speedblades. I like the control/accuracy of the J40's much better and it seems that I am able to shape shots much better.

It's odd but I feel that I hit the cavity backs better than the dpc's. Granted the cavity backs are the irons that are easier to hit (7-pw) but I like the wider sole of the cb versus the dpc. I've played a few rounds with them and I've lost distance because the lofts are so much weaker than the TM's however I'm getting them bent about 2 degrees to give me a little more back. I love the clubs though, they look great and the lack of offset appeals to me as I was starting to feel that the amount of offset in the speedblades while not huge was a bit too much.

Hitting a shot pure especially with the cb's is an almost orgasmic experience. These are the first forged clubs I've hit/owned. I've skimmed this thread so I may have missed it somewhere but has anyone else gotten to the point where they wished they bought the whole set in cb instead of a combo set? I'm starting to feel that way because the dpcs seem actually a bit harder to hit than the cb's.....

glad I found this thread....I recently purchased a combo set brand new, 4-6 are dpc and 7-pw are cb. Shafts are the Project X Flighted 5.0. I am a 6.6 handicap but have only been playing for 2 years and 1 month. Previously playing Taylormade Speedblades. I like the control/accuracy of the J40's much better and it seems that I am able to shape shots much better.

It's odd but I feel that I hit the cavity backs better than the dpc's. Granted the cavity backs are the irons that are easier to hit (7-pw) but I like the wider sole of the cb versus the dpc. I've played a few rounds with them and I've lost distance because the lofts are so much weaker than the TM's however I'm getting them bent about 2 degrees to give me a little more back. I love the clubs though, they look great and the lack of offset appeals to me as I was starting to feel that the amount of offset in the speedblades while not huge was a bit too much.

Hitting a shot pure especially with the cb's is an almost orgasmic experience. These are the first forged clubs I've hit/owned. I've skimmed this thread so I may have missed it somewhere but has anyone else gotten to the point where they wished they bought the whole set in cb instead of a combo set? I'm starting to feel that way because the dpcs seem actually a bit harder to hit than the cb's.....

Congrats on the new set.

My fitter really wanted me to go with the CBs over the DPCs, but I opted for the combo set just to err on the side of caution in terms of forgiveness. I've only had my set for about two weeks, so the verdict is not in yet for as to whether I wish I had gone with straight CBs. I don't think I would have any issues with the CBs in the long irons, but I am content with the DPCs.

It's odd to feel that the DPCs are harder to hit than the CBs, but the CBs may just be a better fit for your swing.

Congrats on the new set.

My fitter really wanted me to go with the CBs over the DPCs, but I opted for the combo set just to err on the side of caution in terms of forgiveness. I've only had my set for about two weeks, so the verdict is not in yet for as to whether I wish I had gone with straight CBs. I don't think I would have any issues with the CBs in the long irons, but I am content with the DPCs.

It's odd to feel that the DPCs are harder to hit than the CBs, but the CBs may just be a better fit for your swing.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why but I think I find the CB's easier to hit because of the sole. The sole in the CB's seem to be a bit bigger and thus easier to hit for me for some reason. I love the Bridgestones but I am struggling getting my yardages adequately covered. I bought a dpc 4 iron so that I would have 4-6 in the dpc and 7-pw in the cb. My old irons, TM Speedblades which I still have and have been gaming since I got them in February of this year have all my distances pretty much covered but the Bridgestones are a bit off.

my TM irons went as follows:
4 iron 185 carry
5 iron 175 carry
6 iron 165 carry
7 iron 155 carry
8 iron 140+ carry
9 iron 135 carry
PW 125 carry

The bridgestones, which have much weaker lofts are just a bit different....
4 iron 175 ish carry
5 iron 165 carry
6 iron 155 carry
7 iron 145 carry
8 iron 135 carry
9 iron 130 carry
PW 120 carry

I'm especially concerned about the longer irons with the J40's because the distance is seems to fall off more versus the Speedblades versus the shorter irons. With both sets my PW-8 iron are not spaced that far out but I'm usually fine with that. Over time I've flattened out my swing as I've improved but I'm thinking now that maybe my swing needs to be a bit steeper and that would help? That's why I am thinking of getting the lofts strengthened a degree or two especially with the longer irons as I am kind of a picker especially with the longer irons. It's my understanding that increase in strength of loft would decrease bounce which could help this?

the other issue is out of the rough. I am able to hit the SB's much easier out of the rough than the J40's and the distance gaps increase quite a bit when I am hitting out of the rough. Maybe I'm just not good enough to be gaming these yet? My hc is 6.6 but I've only been playing golf for just over 2 years....

423°61.0°38.25"D13.1 mm2.0°
526°62.0°37.75"D12.9 mm2.5°
630°62.5°37.25"D12.7 mm3.0°
735°63.0°36.75"D13.0 mm5.0°
839°63.5°36.25"D12.5 mm6.0°
943°64.0°35.75"D12.5 mm6.0°
PW47°64.5°35.50"D12.5 mm6.0°

Above is the J40 combo set specs.

Below are the specs for the Speedblades.
SpecificationsLoftLieOffsetBounceLengthSwing Weight
4 Iron20.0°61.0°5.8mm1.3°38.875"D2.5
5 Iron23.0°61.75°5.2mm3.2°38.25"D2.5
6 Iron26.5°62.5°4.5mm4.1°37.625"D2.5
8 Iron34.5°63.5°3.1mm5.6°36.5"D2.5
9 Iron39.5°64.0°2.5mm6.0°36.0"D2.5
PW45.0°64.5°2.0mm7.0°35.5"D2.5
AW50.0°64.5°1.3mm8.4°35.5"D2.5

[TH]7 Iron[/TH]
[TD]30.5°[/TD]
[TD]63.0°[/TD]
[TD]3.9mm[/TD]
[TD]4.9°[/TD]
[TD]37.0"[/TD]
[TD]D2.5[/TD]

I think the difference in distance you are seeing can be explained in large amount to the difference in lofts--the Speedblade 5 is equivalent loft-wise to the J40 4 iron. I personally would not adjust my swing to match my irons. Do you feel like you are not getting the launch and ball flight you need to the most carry with the long irons?

Back